Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gold Finding?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by TheBends, Sep 10, 2006.

1. TheBends

TheBends IncGamers Member

Gold Finding?

I've heard talk of people actually making characters specifically for finding large amounts of gold.

How would you go about building one of these characters? Besides stocking up on +% Gold Dropped From monster items. Is there any single more popular build than others?

And what is the importance of finding gold? Gambling? Anything else?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

The way I like to do it is an orb sorc doing NM trav in full games (easy to find full games in NM). Level 22 or so orb is enough to kill everything right quick in full games when it's synergized and you have cold mastery. NM trav is also great for pgems, charms, and SOJs. I found two SOJs in two weeks running NM trav.

3. pedu

pedu IncGamers Member

I use a barb, dual wield ali babas. And you can hork the corpses. Hork = use find item skill. Maximise that and you have a 50% chance of another drop. I let my merc do the killing while i hork and pick up the goodies. Im only up to nm trav. Frosty has a guy that solos hell trav. Need some better stuff for that.

4. SoulSurvivor

SoulSurvivor IncGamers Member

Soloing hell trav is tough, although 2xdwarf star helps a lot taking some of the pressure off your merc.

My merc's equipment to solo nm trav was bonehew, crown of thieves and duriel's shell. For hell trav I upgraded him to an ebotd gpa and an eth treachery, now he has no problem running straight in unless one has conviction or is PI. After some expirementing I choose treachery over fort because of the higher resist, curse reduction and % damage reduction from fade (has no problem triggering because of all the fire bolts) and the 45 ias got him another half frame attack speed. Also the chilling armor from fort is really annoying since it can cause some corpses to shatter.

5. Shockeclipse

Shockeclipse IncGamers Member

My mf sorc gets pretty good gold drops. Currently she is filled the the max Inventory and stash. I usually only do andy and meph runs. On the way to andy I kills any unique monster mostly to keep a full stock of full rejuvs and I pick up any decent gold drops. I think the fastest way to get gold is to pick up any wands/orbs/staffs/assault helms stuff like that has +skills in hell you usually get 35k gold for it.

6. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

7. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

I have a gold find barbarian. If you want to see it in action try and find me online from time to time, add me to your friends list.

*cooked
    *strobe

8. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

There are some pretty good guides floating around here. I don't think I would have very much to add by writting my own. Btw, the only difference between NM and Hell Travincal is an eBotD War Pike mercenary, and a little bit of practice :grin:. Oh yes, strategy... Maybe that's the part that could be developped in goldfind guides :rolleyes: :scratch:...

NB : I've made some stats on my goldfinder :
    He drops 800.000 gold average per run (~2-3 minutes per run).
    Min amount per run : 300.000-400.000
    Max amount per run : 1.300.000-1.500.000 :laugh:

9. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

Frosty's Barb is better than mine.

I average about 400K per run.
    Best ever is about 800K in a run.
    Lower runs are in the 200K range.
    My merc doesn't seem to survive hell runs very well. No BotD.

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I make gold runs with a frenzy barb in nightmare Travincal. Running away from the Councils in hell mode while the merc does the kills (or dies because he got stuck at the balcony again) doesn't sound really interesting, so I use two upped LemLem Ali Babas which are good enough for nightmare. My merc one-hit-kills the Council minions (having CoT, Wealth and some big damage elite polearm - Reaper's or so), so perhaps he should get an eth 6Lem polearm/spear, I have too many of them on my mules anyway :rolleyes:

A barb can probably do better in hell with two 5Lem Runemasters (AFAIK Frosty's build uses them), but I prefer Ali Babas because they also have a lot of MF and after all, I found my one and only SoJ during a GF run in nightmare Travincal :grin:

11. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

No, I don't use Runemasters :laugh: ! There was a time when I was using them, but I found out it's not an interesting option (AR problems, less gold...).

I've tried 3 or 4 different builds (including non-barbs) before finding this very satisfying one. It works pretty well most of the time, and if ever the council is really too strong (conviction aura + amplify damage + physical immune...), I just quit and make another game.

I'm a pure Goldfind Barb now, so I don't kill the council by myself. I'm wearing two Crystal Sword with 6*LEM in them (both 15% ED 15% Durability for style points :grin: ), while my merc does all the killing job.

I'm thinking about tons of strategy tips to give here, but after all, I may write my own guide, since it seems many people are interested in it :scratch:.

12. templecrasher

templecrasher IncGamers Member

Whether you write the guide or not, I'm interested in your equipment. I've never played a Barb so I really don't know much about them at all, but this build is intriguing. My best gold-finding character right now is my key-running hammerdin, who collects about 3 million over the course of 15 - 20 key runs. The thought of filling up with 10 minutes in Travincal is quite nice indeed.

13. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

It would be wonderful if someone put together a nice guide. I built my GF Baba after much reading and mulling over the dozens of links in the compilation by -Tempus-. I was very pleased with the end result, but it would be nice to see a condensed guide nevertheless.

14. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Probably a Rasputin build - no str, dex or energy, just vit :laugh: Even if the swords break, you will probably have no problem to gether the gold to repair them :azn: