Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

going to build a zerker

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Gheeds Army, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Gheeds Army

Gheeds Army IncGamers Member

going to build a zerker

is there a guide around? (i've look at 1st page and a hlf)
    i have a few questinos here
    what is a good end game weapon and armor? (no botd or engima)
    was thinking shaefer/ls/zerk ax
    what would b better for armor a +2 valor/something with good res?
    about the only thing i know i'm going 2 use is ss with my perf string
    right now i'm trying to get a idea of equipment to max hell res
    thnx it's sort of a jumble of thoughts but i'm in a hurry lol.

2. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

chains of honor would be good end game armor imo, I would also guess that schaef would also be good end game wep, or cresent moon runeword, anything with big dmg would just be good, gf swinging at 9/10 fps is nice but hard to get to 9, Hope I could help.

3. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

A Beast BA would be a great wepon for endgame zerkers (only needs 5 more ias for 9 fpa)

CoH or +2 barb valor with 15ias/15 resist all would both be great choices for armors
    UM in the SS
    A rare +2 Barb +resist all ammy
    Raven
    AF
    Rare ring with duel leech and resist
    gores/tavs/rares with stats and resist
    20 resist anni

that should take care of hell resist with only a lvl one NR

4. JohnofTesh

JohnofTesh IncGamers Member

Highlords Wrath - +1 skills, 1/3 rd % chance of deadly strike per level, 20% IAS - dont leave home without it.

Arreats face - if there was a substitute out there i'd say so, but there just really isn't

War Travellers - faster r/w, +to dmg and mf

Chains of Honor = +2 skills, resistance
    Vipermagi = +1 skills, fast cast, resistance
    Shaftstop - damage reduced

Some of your equipment choices will depend on if you plan on leeching mana and life or not.

5. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

Zerk doesnt leech

6. Gheeds Army

yea i've been looking at runewords and chains is by far the best out there. not that worried about leech so not sure about arreats. the +2 would b nice but what about veil of steel it has 50 res all? with chains that's 115 res. what do u think?

7. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

I think no barb can go with out AF, the leech is really the last thing looked at on them.

30 resist
    2 skills
    2 combat skills
    150-200 edef
    20 str
    20 dex

cant beat that and thats w/o leech

with coh, 20 anni, anya, af, lvl 6 NR(ull have this with +2af,+2coh, and bc at base lvl NR) ull have max resist in hell

65+20+30+20+44=179 resist all

8. Gheeds Army

k i'm sold on arreats. all i need is the ber and armor for chains, ne sugestions?

9. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

Archron, Highest Def Armor with no -R/W effect, Good look on barb (if u like shaft look) and its got a fairly low str req

10. Gheeds Army

ok some of the equiipment issues out of the way for now. Drokkellakhan (the new spaz i'm building) is now lvl 15 havn't done much here but lvl. I think i've only spent 10 of the pos 16 skill pts (still in act 2, no rush). i'm thinking this will b the way i'll have his pts speard out by lv 81.

WAR CRIES: 54 pts
    shout 20
    BO 20
    War Cry 10
    howl 1
    taunt 1
    battle cry 1

one of the things i'm having probs with is howl is a synergy for zer. after lv 81 i'd most likly send the rest of my pts here> (also looking at spots to cut some fat) could take 2 points from war cry, but at lv 10 and +6 to skills war cry will stun for a even 4 sec...and depending on endgame weapon...and give all the time I need to kill dumb little evil things. :D (the fun part of the game)

COMBAT MASTERY: 14pts
    weapon mast 10
    in stam/speed 2
    IS/NR 2

ok...have a few questions here as well. the difference in 1 or 10 pts into mastery after +6 skills is 45% dam 72% ar and 6% cs. the difference in 1 or 10 pts into howl is 90% more magice dam. ???

COMBAT SKILLS: 25PTS
    Zerk 20
    bash/conc/stun 1
    leap/LA 1

gotta have LA...zerk lv 26 with synenergy 505%ar 765%magic dam (855% if i put 9 more pts into howl not weapon mast.)

well thats about it on this part. the on thing left is my endgame weapon...

11. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

For the Mastery VS Howl Question

Howl is 8% ed per lvl
    Mastery is 5%ed 8%ar and deminishing returns CS per lvl

My suggestion is first get mastery to lvl 16 with +skills for the 20% chance of CS

Then save rest of skill points and just go through later parts of hell killing things and making sure you are gonna have enough AR to hit the monsters where you plan to use your barb most(best done in multiplayer games if you dont plan to solo him most of the time). If your AR fits your needs then by all means go for the howl and pump that up as much as possible, and of course if your AR doesnt please you then pump up Mastery.

12. Gheeds Army

k well i haveevery thing but the chains..but also sen doon zerk ax..looks good to me (i'm sure 2 everyone else as well)now i'm not the best at tradeing with godly items. the best items i have 4 trade r a zod and vex rune..how far(very i'm sure) am i off with this? could i get one or the other,maybe both, with these runes? I'm set that i'll get chains, but if i can't swing the doom i'm thinking GF. what about a good axe. that way if i ever can afford a doom zerker i have the mast pts set already.

thnx...

13. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Don't use Schaffer's. It's much too slow. Also dosn't Shout add physical damage (and leech) and is the magic damage from Beserk affected by DS and CS?

14. jumbo_SHRIMP

jumbo_SHRIMP IncGamers Member

use a gothic plate...only 70 str req...itll treat you well...def is USELESS for a barb that uses zerk

phelix

15. xtc_sazabi

xtc_sazabi IncGamers Member

might i also suggest mage plate. 55 Str req, archon look.

16. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Yes, shout adds physical damage, but berserk converts all of the damage it deals to magical in the end (thus the reason for no leech). And yes, it's affected by CS/DS.

Jumbo:

Gothic plate has r/w and stam penalties, mage plate would be much better, as was previously mentioned.

-Hal

17. podi

podi IncGamers Member

Guaridan Angel
    chance of blocking, max def, fasterblockrate.

Twitchthroe
    chance of blocking, hitrecovery, r/w, and real cheap

you dont need def. youll be running at 0 all the time :p

18. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

This is a misconception about zerkers. You dont run at 0 Def all the time you swing at 0 def. As you pump zerk the time at 0 decreases. While using a sheild it is possibe to get in a block/stun lock where your def would matter or when your just running to the throne to fight baal's minions the monsters around you still attack.

Im not saying def is a priority on a zerker im just saying sometimes it does matter.

19. Grandar King of Trolls

Grandar King of Trolls IncGamers Member

If I were to do a zerker, I would go for a purely offensive build and do somehting like this:

Zerk +20
    Howl +20
    Shout +20
    BO +20
    Mastery +10

and then +1 to:
    BC, Taunt, Bash, Stun, Conc, IS, NS, Stamina, Speed, Leap, LA, find pot (you'll need them)

At this point it is 102 points accounted for. Anything past this, I would suggest more speed, some WC, and maybe hork. Maybe stress WC and hit it early on while maxing out shout last. Shout is going to help you the least. It is nice for your merc/party, though. Oh, and I really suggest using the howl/taunt combo. A lot.

As is, though, the damage here with a good weapon will be insane. First, let's consider +skills for zerk:

+4 (AF) +2 (COH) +1 (BC) +1 (highlord's) = lvl 28 zerk = 435 + 8(15) = 555ed base from zerk.

Now add in your synergies: 555 + 200 (howl) + 200 (shout) = +955 ed

And I'm not 100% sure how the ed from mastery is counted, but lvl 16 mastery gives +103, so this is at least: 955 + 103 = +1,058ed

That is just sick. Think about this w/a might merc. Oh, and COH will help you with 2/3 of the monsters in the game. Anyone want to calculate what this setup will swing for against a demon? :scratch:

Now for equipment. You have a zod, go for botd. Eth cb or zerker axe. I like the +attrib, ed, and ias it gives. Leech isn't important, I know. Besides, a quick switch over to conc should fill up your orbs should you really need to just w/the leech provided from coh, af, botd, & string. As such, IAS and damage are key. I suggest:

AF
    COH
    BOTD (eth something)
    Highlord's
    Steelrends
    Goreriders
    SS (I like the dam reduction, chance to block, and res)
    Ravenfrost
    Maybe BK (+1 skills, more life), another raven, dwarfstar or a good rare
    Your perfect string should be nice for the dr & mdr
    Sockets: 2 x ??/ias jewels. Hal said something about ed/ias jewels being bugged. I'm not a master of breakpoints. Will botd and another 50ias get you there? I am guessing yes.
    I think anni goes w/out saying. Other charms should just fill up where you are lacking as you progress.

As for stats, I'd want enough dex for max block, enough str to carry your stuff minus all the bonuses you are getting from equipment and the rest in vit. I can calculate that out if you want, but it isn't hard. I don't imagine this would be bad for pvp as well, but you may want to consider enigma for the tp and then fill up on res charms. Should 1 hit kill the casters. :thumbsup:

Wow, this changed from a simple reply to an almost entire build. What do you guys think of the plan? And please correct all my calculation errors that I am sure I made. :uhhuh:

20. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

About how mastery is added I believe I read somewhere that it acts first:

300 base wepon
    100 ed from mastery
    500 magic ed from zerk

(300*1+300)*5+600=3600

vs how you added it

300*6+300=2100

Im not 100 % sure where I read that as it was early .09 patch when I decied to go 100% Barb.

(disclamer all numbers are pulled out of air and this is not the exact damage formula however it is the easiest example of how the mastery adds)