Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

God help me I'm thinking about going back to school

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anakha1, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

God help me I'm thinking about going back to school

...In a year or so...

As some of you may remember I just graduated with a degree in criminology. Some of you may have also gathered that recently I've become very dissatisfied with my current job in the military and will be getting out soon.

I've been looking around for jobs but little has come up that I'm qualified for or am interested in. Furthermore, even with this BA degree I feel somehow... incomplete with only that level of edumacation. I am therefore thinking seriously about going to get my Masters degree at Toronto U in Social Work. To do that, however, I first have to get my BA with Honours in Social Work which requires attending York University (also in Toronto) for a post-graduate degree in Social work that I can complete in 2 years with field work and will count as a completely seperate degree from my Crim BA. After that I can go to Toronto U and get my MA in 2 years, so we're looking at another four years of school.

So I'm very confoozled about what to do. I need to do a lot of soul searching. Perhaps I'm just worried about the seeming lack of options outside of the military and I miss the warm comfortyness of knowing where I'll be for the next while. School is secure... I don't have to make many decisions aside from choosing my classes. Of course this would mean yanking up my life and moving to TO, but that would be no big loss. It's not like I have much of a life outside work here anyways. The other side of the coin is that I've worked my patootie off keeping out of debt during school and I've succeeded. Without the army to cushion me with its blatant wasting of tax payer money on me, I'll slide into debt. I HATE owing money.

Social work really interests me, though, and it would definently be useful for when I finally go to the RCMP. Plus in my job searches I've discovered that there are people absolutely screaming for holders of a MA in Social Work and the money is VERY attractive (we're talking 75k to start as an entry level position) so I'd always have something to fall back on. Overall, when I did graduate for a... THIRD time in post-secondary school... I'd be 25 years old (the average age of an RCMP recruit is 27), have two Bachelor's degrees and one Masters and I'd have spent 5 years in the army as an MP. They'd have to be crazy not to take me.

School was always kind of a cakewalk for me, so it's not the work that's bothering me. I'm just very indecisive about it at the moment and that's not a normal feeling for me. I always seem to know what I want and I don't like this feeling. So I suppose that's the purpose of this thread, to get my ideas out in front of me to have a look at them, and see what you guys think. Another four years of school, a lot of work, but big returns and a good feeling of satsifaction... assuming I get into the programs.

I have a year until the next registration session at York, so I have some time to mull it over... but I like to make my decisions well ahead of time (like how I decided to go to the RCMP when I was, oh, five years old). So... comments or advice? Maybe you Freudians among us just think this is all repressed sexual stress?

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Well it's obviously repressed sexual stress, but that's a different story entirely.

I think you should go back to school. Why? Misery loves company. I'm looking at another 4 years myself, and it's going to be hella tough. I haven't decided whether I'll go to an aerospace grad school or law school yet, but I know I'm staying in the comfy college bubble for a little while longer.

My experience is that those who go back to school after spending some time out in the workplace and on their own are much more motivated and do better than those who come straight out of college. Were you to go back, I'm sure you'd experience this as well.

I don't think the extra degrees would help you that much in the RCMP, would they? But they'd be great to fall back on should you ever leave. Two undergrads, one grad, and work experience all in the same area looks excellent on any resume. I say go back to school because it will open up so much more in your future.

3. DrMagus

DrMagus IncGamers Member

Yep, back to school but why stop at MS?

I agree that going back to school is a good choice. I also agree that going back after being out in the work force makes the experience much more meaningful. I am now in my 40's and have a Ph.D. I teach at the University and everyone I meet who has a MS wishes/wants a Ph.D. If you are going back why not go back for the Doc? Also, have you looked at other human service fields? Psychology, Counseling, Human Services? Just wondering...
    Good luck and good for you!

4. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

I say go back to school. That's what I did, although I didn't have anything then, 6 months ago back in the days :rolleyes:, just dropped out of college. Going back was probably the best thing I've done in my life so far, everything seems to be going so well at everything I want to try and I'm more positive in everything I do. But you on the other hand, do what interests you. If you think you'll love Social work, do it. If school is easy for you, even more reasons to do it. Your resume is gonna look even better.

5. toader

toader Banned

I would probably have to get on the "go to school" bandwagon. If your not happy doing what your doing, and wanna be doing something else, then the next 40 years until retirement are gonna sucks.

I am an engineer as you might know from my other posts, so I like to look at numbers. Ill run some numbers for ya:

Option 1:
    40 years to retire
    4 years more in school
    36 years doing something you like

eqauls:

10% of your time till retirement will be school, kinda sucky
    90% of your time will be doing something you like and banking mad cash and getting fly honies.

Option 2:
    40 years to retire
    0 years in school
    40 years doing something you dont like

equals:

100% of your time whining to us on these forums and griping about life.

We dont want to hear that man. Think of us here. 40 more years of griping on the forum about your crappy job and life....thats bad news man.

6. Oberammergau

Oberammergau IncGamers Member

Exactly, in order to be happy you need to do what you like. Going back to school is ALWAYS a good investment as one can never have enough education. I say go for it and good luck

7. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

ANY school experience can be made better if you go on panty raids. Well, unless you're at a Catholic private school and the only females there are the staff. *shudder*

8. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Thanks for responding, all. I'm still thinking about it, but at least I've got lots of time. And the money! Oh god the money! :scared:

And Sergeant, you'd be surprised what Mrs. Beasley keeps under her garter. You really would. :love:

9. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

Man I suck, I am nearly 20 and all I have to show for it is that I finished high school. *sigh*

10. th5418

th5418 Banned

I think this post sums it all up GOod job!

11. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

for ****'s sake don't do it!!! I'm in school still, instead would you mind killing me and yourself?

12. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

If you can do it, and can manage to afford it, and it's such a cakewalk, and the potential rewards are so enticing, why on Earth wouldn't you do it?

13. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Anakha, I might be the person that you would want to talk to via PM. As you probably remember, I'm the chap that just graduated in December with an MSW - which is the same degree that I hear you talking about. The only difference is, that if starting salary for an MSW in Canada is $75k, then dang man... I'm moving to Canada!

A few things to consider here (or advice if you will)...

1. If you have your heart set on the RCMP, I might not advise that you go for the masters or PhD as your return would not be as great. Sure, you'll have a slight edge in advancement potential, but in my humble opinion, it wouldn't be enough to make it worth your while for that particular line of work.

2. The MSW is one of the more powerful degrees at the masters level - this is mainly due to a VERY strong political presence of the NASW and CASW (National Association of Social Workers in the U.S., and Canadian Association of Social Workers). What makes an MSW so good, is that it is tremendously flexible. You can do therapy with it (yes, you can bill some insurance with it), you can do social work, mental health, etc.) Because of the strong ties, an MSW is valuable in both the U.S. and Canada. So... for example, I could move to Canada and use my MSW easily there and you could come down to the U.S. should you ever make that decision. Anyhow, it's a very versatile degree and carries with it much more weight than say an M.A. in Psychology. (we're talking equivalent humanities fields here... not sciences or math).

3. After you finish your MSW, you can go into supervision with a licensed MSW to obtain your LASW or LICSW (these are clinical licensures that essentially will allow you to go into private practice if you wish). These licensures are valid on all insurance carriers (at least in the U.S., but I'm pretty sure Canada as well) - which means that you can bill out at $75 and hour or more). I'm now working on obtaining my LICSW, and in the meantime... just got hired with the state. It pays $40k to start - which isn't too shabby... plus I have a kick-butt retirement and benefits plan to go along with it. I'm assuming there are similar deals with the Canadian government.

Anyhow, there are a few ideas to chew on. That will hopefully tide you over for a bit. I seriously would encourage you to look into it and do some research at the minimum, and then decide what you truly want to do for a career and if education will further you along toward that end.

I can tell you though.... if you loved Criminology... you'll love some of the aspects to the MSW curriculum that you'll encounter.

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Thanks, Lunar. That was a very useful post. I knew I should talk to you about it because I remembered that you're in that field, but I hadn't gotten around to it, yet.

I'll definently research its usefulness more. As for the RCMP thing, I like something to fall back on. Hey, I dunno if I'll even like the RCMP, if I'll get in, if I'll want to do something afterward, etc. Plus, I feel somehow that I'm not meeting my potential with just a normal BA. I need something spiffier. And I sort of coasted through my degree without really trying and I feel guilty. :xtongue:

15. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

Hey school isn't all bad, hey we might be able to get in the same classes as each other and pass notes around and giggle. Now that isn't that bad is it.. Study buddy...

16. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Dude what do you do then?

If you still live at home and don't work or go to school you deserve this:
    big trout

17. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

It's great that you are thinking of going back to school again, Hanakah. Everybody is offering good advice in this thread, so the only thing I can really add is -- you've got a year to go, so use that time to think it through. Hasty decisions rarely accomplish anything of long-term value. I wish you luck and I'm right behind you 100%. (What's that you say? No, silly, that's just a really big pencil! What kinda guy you take me for?! :D )

18. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

I work and I am about to start college. My problem with myself is that I feel like i left it too late.

19. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Well, thanks for the support... you show it in... uhh... interesting ways. Like I said, I think I'm going to do it, but I have lots of time to decide. I'm going to leave the military and do some volunteer work in the year I have. I don't think I'm using my potential with just a BA. An MA calls to us! It callses to us, preciouses!