Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Go go hydrogen powered beemers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by masterazn, Sep 13, 2006.

1. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Go go hydrogen powered beemers

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060912/bs_nm/autos_bmw_hydrogen_dc_1

YA YA YA YA YA YA YA YA!

Although, has anyone heard a hydrogen car run? I'm wondering what they sound like. If they do produce water, do they make bubbling noises? How lame would that be? "hey baby, check out my new ride *BLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUB!!!!!!*".

-masterazn

2. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

I thought it was unreasable to make a combustion engine run on hydrogen, because you couldnt travel very far with it, due to not being able to carry a lot of fuel. Isnt that one of the reasons they started making fuel cells anyway? And I know there are fuel cells vehicles that can already go just as far on a tank of hydrogen as normal combustion engines can.

And I bet the sound wouldnt change that much. I mean an explosion is an explosion, right?

3. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

Combustion reactions produce water as well.
    2 C(8)H(18) + 25 O2 -------------> 16 CO2 + 18 H20

The big problem with hydrogen-powered cars is that the hydrogen diffuses through the fuel tanks, giving it a shorter range. Advancements in high NC steels could solve this problem in the near future though.

4. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

And gas was only $2.28 today...:wink2:

5. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

6. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

7. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Isn't hydrogen still a fossil fuel?

8. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_vehicle

Interesting, because it can be derived from a fossil fuel, does that mean it's a fossil fuel even though it can be generated from non fossil fuels? Surely it's cheaper to get it from water than fossil fuels. A cathode, anode and some electricity, right? Besides the equipment to capture it, etc.

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Hydrogen is renewable and not a fossil fuel because it isn't formed through natural processes here on Earth.

10. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

The vast majority of H2 is obtained from fossil fuels at the moment. I suppose if hydrogen cars caught on, someone might decide that a solar-powered electrolysis plant might be profitable.

11. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

the sun is hydrogen
    and what sucks about this is that we get hydrogen from water, and the hydrogen car outputs water.
    Renewable, no?
    No. Because we still need large amounts of energy for electrolysis, which means nuclear, oil, coal, etc. power plants. Which doesn't reduce our need on fossil fuels, and doesn't reduce pollution. It just transfers the burden from gasoline cars to power plants.

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

It takes huge amounts of energy and water to grow an oak tree, but we say those are renewable.

Electrolysis takes a lot of energy, but solar panels could provide that. Instead of using the deserts for oil why not huge solar panel farms? Cars are also many times less efficient than power plants. So yes it would still bring net usage down.

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I said STILL a fossil fuel because as far as I know it still isn't economical to produce it from anything other than fossil fuels, meaning that emissions from cars will be eliminated but we'll still have the problems of emissions and the finite lifespan of fossil fuels at the power plants.

Basically hydrogen isn't a new fuel, it's a new delivery mechanism. We still have the job of switching to a fully renewable energy source to take care of.

Although I'm interested to see whether electricity or hydrogen will win.

Ah, but where do you get the electricity from?

14. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Use solar power to generate Electrolysis, use solar power to pump up the water from anywhere.

There you have it, pure water, and pure solar power, doesn't cost a single fossil or whatever, just a big penny.

You can even recuperate the metals used for electrolysis without any effort at all, you can even get more production out of the reversed process.
    Hint: car batteries work both ways...

15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Yeah, but my point is that this is an aside to the whole issue. We still have to actually switch our power plants to a renewable source.

16. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Both solar panels and hydrogen fuel cell technology are net energy losers. You might as well power the electrolysis via nuclear power. Or better yet, make with the fusion power. NOW!

Doesn't work that way. Net energy losers... You still need another powersource to produce the solar cells to power the pumps and electolysis.

And it's not just a matter of money. If the energy's not there all the money in the world won't help. You need an energy source to set up the machinery and fuel the process. Unless there's a huge leap in effectiveness in the ability of panels to trap energy you'll have to add energy from other sources to keep this thing going. Otherwise ten panels will only produce nine new panels, or three panels and six fuel cells. The numbers in that exqample are unimportant. The point is that this process will not be self-sustaining.

EDIT: Fuel cells aren't even a net energy loser. It's just a battery. What I meant was that electrolysis is a net energy loser.

17. masterazn

masterazn Banned

For some reason, this thread did not go where I thought it would. I was focusing on the beemers...

18. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

why these morons (not talking about you guys) are pushing for a "Hydrogen economy" just baffles me

the vast majority of hydrogen is now obtained either by 1) steam reformation of hydrocarbons 2) coal gasification 3) electrolysis of water

it is sad that there were vast recalls of hybrid cars in the past simply on the whim that oil companies didn't want to lose profits from less people buying regular combustion vehicles

you can generate and use electricity in an automobile a lot easier and simpler than using some highly explosive gas that is extremly hard to liquify and therefore transport, not to mention is leaks through everything

i guess the public is satisfied if they see their politicians doing SOMETHING about the energy crisis even if that solution is horribly wrong and stupid

and every energy process we can use is a "net loser" because of entropy

19. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

You don't use a solar power panel once? You can use it for years and years and years and... and you get the idea.

Use whatever resource there is available now, and in a few years, you'll have produced enough solar cells etc for all eternity.
    Should a few break or go down or whatever, you can easily use the power from the rest of them to repair or replace them?

20. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

I don't think BMW was trying to be a revolutionary energy saver here, I think they're just trying to show that it can be done.

And I want to say I've heard of hydro-bimmers quite a while ago, although no a 7 series.