GM reveals '06 Z06 price!

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
GM reveals '06 Z06 price!

Well, it's official. The new Corvette Z06, the fastest Corvette ever, has been revealed! For months, people could only see the Z06 at car shows or online. Now people have an idea of what it will cost. And truly as the fastest Corvette, the price is quite expensive. Rivaling the Dodge Viper at a $65k base price compared to the regular C6's base price of a little under $50k.

More info can be found here: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38421

So what do you people think? Is it worth the wait and all the hype?

Raistlin Majere

Diabloii.Net Member
mhl12 said:
Well, it's official. The new Corvette Z06, the fastest Corvette ever, has been revealed! For months, people could only see the Z06 at car shows or online. Now people have an idea of what it will cost. And truly as the fastest Corvette, the price is quite expensive. Rivaling the Dodge Viper at a $65k base price compared to the regular C6's base price of a little under $50k.

More info can be found here: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38421

So what do you people think? Is it worth the wait and all the hype?
Sweet. Definetly worth it.

mullenman

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice, but for the same price i can get a brand new Evolution VIII MR upgrade the turbo, modify the hell out of it, spank the vette, and still have enough money to take my girl out for a nice meal :)

adamfgt78

Diabloii.Net Member
mullenman said:
Nice, but for the same price i can get a brand new Evolution VIII MR upgrade the turbo, modify the hell out of it, spank the vette, and still have enough money to take my girl out for a nice meal :)
There's always one, isn't there? :lol:

Beowulf

Diabloii.Net Member
mullenman said:
I would not touch a mitsubishi with a 10 foot pole. If anything I would take a WRX Sti over it any day. Also the Evo has nowhere near the looks of the Vette or even the WRX.

Rius666

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't know much about cars (modding and such...im a disgraceful asian) but getting
The Z06 is, of course, the fastest Vette ever built. It will have a 500 horsepower 427 cubic inch engine with lightweight components. What does this mean in a 3130-pound car? It means superior performance beyond all other Corvettes. Estimated 0-60 in less than 4 seconds along with a sub 12-second quarter mile. Top speed is reported to be more than 190 MPH (on a closed race track of course). 1. 500-hp/475 lb.-ft torque
2. 7000 RPM redline
3. 11.0:1 Compression
4. Titanium connecting rods
5. Titanium intake valves and pushrods
6. Hand built engine
7. Dry sump lubrication
8. Aluminum body structure
9. Carbon fiber front fenders
10. Magnesium front cradle
11. Fixed roof design for rigidity
12. Larger grill and cold air intake scoop
13. Wide rear fenders and a rear spoiler incorporated into the tail of the car
14. Larger cross-drilled front and rear disc brakes
15. Larger wheels and tires
16. 3" exhaust
17. Light weight seats with fixed side bolsters
for about 65k doesnt sound too bad to me. Plus it puts out the same amount of performance as some of the exotic 6 figure european cars for a much less price. Good deal if i had the $. But until then i think ill just cruise around in my very very stock 2000 civic ex woot!

EDIT: some more info :
Endowed with more of everything that makes a Corvette yummy, and officially recognized as the fastest and most powerful production car that General Motors has ever produced, the new 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 makes 500 horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 475 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,800 rpm from a 7.0-liter, hand-built, LS7 V8 that is based on the standard Corvette's LS2 6.0-liter motor. That's a smidge more than 427 cubic inches, for all you Oldie Oldersons, and you should also know that the majority of the motor's twist comes online at 1,600 rpm. Whammy, blammy, yowee, zowee!

With a redline north of 7,000 rpm, a six-speed manual transmission, three-inch diameter exhaust pipes, and a curb weight of 3,130 pounds, the 2006 Chevy Corvette Z06 is equipped with plenty of firepower to produce sprints to 60 mph in a blistering 3.7 seconds, making it directly competitive with not only the Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe but a variety of exotic machinery priced well into triple digits. Chevrolet predicts that 100 mph will arrive before the eight-second mark, and that the Z06 will cover the quarter-mile in little more than 11 seconds on the way to a top speed that exceeds 190 mph. A dry-sump oiling system ensures vital fluid flow even at cornering forces exceeding 1 g.

Chevrolet used a hydroformed, all-aluminum chassis combined with magnesium bits and carbon fiber pieces to keep the weight off. For example, the Z06's front fenders are carbon fiber, as are portions of the balsa wood sandwich floor panels. The new Z06 comes as a coupe only, with the standard removable roof panel permanently affixed for improved structural rigidity.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar run-flat tires are two inches wider in back at 325/30ZR19, tucked beneath quarter panels flared an extra 1.5 inches so that they'll fit. The Z06's butt is three inches wider than standard, an undesirable attribute on American bodies but a damn sexy feature on this American sports car. Helping the tires to keep the Z06's power from overwhelming its driver are Sachs monotube shock absorbers that replace the standard Corvette's available Magnetic Ride Control Suspension dampers, stiffer springs, and heavier duty struts. Red-painted, six-piston brake calipers clamp down on cross-drilled 14-inch front and 13.4-inch rear rotors to scrub speed.

Raistlin Majere

Diabloii.Net Member
mullenman said:
Putting a stock car agianst a custom is hardly fair under any curcomstance, not to mention the Vette would blow you away on a racecourse. Any car can become a dragster. Plus a new corvette can get you more girls if your shallow enough.

This Corvette is freaking sweet. the fastest built so far. Compared to exotics it beats all the competition when it comes to the bang for the buck.

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
Well they better do something..or they'll be calling up the government to bail them out. GM is hurting according to the news and such. And I don't really see how a car with a base price of 50k+ is gonna help them much.

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
CyberHawk said:
Well they better do something..or they'll be calling up the government to bail them out. GM is hurting according to the news and such. And I don't really see how a car with a base price of 50k+ is gonna help them much.
They would be ok if they knew how to build a decent car...

KnightFall

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
Ive been driving around with this engine in my buick.

GM called me a couple weeks ago and just wanted to try somethin out, since they heard I was having trouble anyways.

Its decent.

JME

Diabloii.Net Member
I think its worth it. And I agree with several points, anyone can make a drag car but the corvette would embarass the dragster on a track. Too bad I can't afford one ;). At least I have a 2002 Camaro SS with a 2003 Z06 motor :thumbsup: .

Raistlin Majere

Diabloii.Net Member
CyberHawk said:
Like Honda's, the Corvette has a very loyal fanbase. Small, but loyal. it is also the testbed for new technolegies GM develops. If anything, Vette sales will go up. its the mainstream cars that need to sell to help GM.

$50,000 is a fair amount for a car, and over here in britian (where cars generally cost waaay more than anywhere else due to taxes and shipping) it'll be even more expensive. Also, how many people who own these high speed cars have regular access to race tracks big enough to get up to 180 or 190mph? top speed is irrelevent for most people...

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
farting bob said:
$50,000 is a fair amount for a car, and over here in britian (where cars generally cost waaay more than anywhere else due to taxes and shipping) it'll be even more expensive. Also, how many people who own these high speed cars have regular access to race tracks big enough to get up to 180 or 190mph? top speed is irrelevent for most people...

I dont even have a nice car and I have access to at least 5 places I can drive my car as fast as i want to. I bet if I had money thered be a lot more.