Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

GLOVES / HAT for strafe / pit runner

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by monkadin, Feb 25, 2004.

1. monkadin

monkadin IncGamers Member

GLOVES / HAT for strafe / pit runner

Ok I've been reading all the INSANE detail on the differn bows and how good they are... but what about gloves? The best I ever find are always +2 Jav skills. Can they come with +2 bow or +2 pasive? ok i know they can but jeeezz would it kill you D2 to give me one of those?

Other than +zon skill and IAS, nad maybe leech - what other gloves do you like? Especially for pit running...

Laying of hands seems good (most creatures are demons in the pit). Still cant even find these :(

anything else?

Hats.... Tals mask takes care of all the leech i need, some resist (dont really care about thoes), ok defence..

Crown of thieves - i love! huge def., all the life leech i need, huge +life, huge dex bonus

shako - duh

anything else?

2. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

You can gamble to get those +2 Bow or passives skills, 20 IAS + resists or Leech gloves that are so prized. It is a good use for the excess gold you can get by cashing in the high value stuff in the pit (2 exceptional armours sold for 35,000 is one gamble).

Another very good helmet for a pit running zon is Steelskull, with dual leech, 10 IAS and mf. I use one as part of my set up to get a 9/2 strafe and that clears the Pit fast.

3. sir_bazz

sir_bazz IncGamers Member

The char is for MF'ing !!

Ptopaz Shako = 74 to MF
    Perfect Chancies = 40 to MF.

That 114 to MF could be the difference between white lacquered plate and a Tals armor.

bazz.

4. Cedrig-HKW

Cedrig-HKW IncGamers Member

i use +2 bows skills, 20% ias, 3%ll, resist gloves. they're not too hard to get.. just save up your money and gamble away.

as for a helm i use either stealskull or shako, both socketed with 15%ias jewels. im thinking about using vamp a bit more since it leaches and adds to the freezing time of fa. havent decided yet though...

5. Broncobiv2

Broncobiv2 IncGamers Member

You have to strike a balance between killing power/speed and MF %. For the helm, go with Stealskull (for the IAS and dual leech as mentioned earlier). I have a perfect one with a P topaz (74% MF, just like Shako). For my gloves, I use crafted heavy bracers with 20% IAS (to get me to the 8/2 frame rate), KB, and 22% MF (only 18% less than perfect Chances).

6. sir_bazz

You only need balance if your build is weak or your too low a level to MF.

Once your at a reasonable enough level to MF effectively, you should be wearing max MF gear and killing quickly.

Thats the reason we choose to build MF Zons.

ie.
    ptopaz Shako.
    Perfect chancies.

If you can't MF effectively with these 2 items on then go and do a few more Baal runs and gain a few levels.

bazz.

7. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

I agree with Broncobiv2. Stealskull is better than shako, at least for a pit-running strafezon. BTW, a 50% stealskull is on par with shako in terms of mf and not more expensive. If you use shako, you have to get ll and ml from somewhere, which will sacrifice your mf.

8. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

I personally like using Tals mask, armor, and belt for MF, which is just slightly worse than skulders + shako + goldwrap, but gives lots of useful mods with it. The tals mask gives you resists and dual leech, you get a nice bonus to life and mana, and lots of resists. You also get the MF from tals armor and belt, as well as a 65%(?) partial set bonus for using 3 items.

As for gloves, I personally like using Laying of Hands since they speed up pit runs very noticeably. Perfect chances are nice, but killing that much faster will often help you find more than 40% MF. If you're using tals mask, you have more room to play with your jewelry, since you will have a good amount of leech, letting you customize your jewelry for MF rather than using it to supply leech. I've gambled several amulets with lots of MF on them too, and if you're lucky gambling, you can possibly even get a rare amulet with MF along with other useful bonuses. Otherwise, you could always use an atma's to speed up your pit runs even more.

Once you get up to around 2-300% MF, a little bit either way will make a very small difference in your chance to find uniques, and only a little bit better chance for getting sets. On the other hand, reducing your time to clear the pit lets you do more runs in the same amount of time, which will give you that many more chances for those nice items to drop. Having some MF is necessary, but once you get over 200% or so, things that increase your killing speed noticeably will help you out more than adding on more MF.

9. sir_bazz

You get enough life leech from Titans, (you shouldn't be getting hit too often anyway), and that leaves mana leech as the real issue.

Unless you have high ED titans or even ethereal titans it's hard to get enough mana back with just one mana leech item.

Alternatives which help are % damage to mana, mana per kill or lots of + plus mana items. Thats where the shako comes in.

The stealskull is nice alternative with the bonus of 10% IAS but you lack the +2 of the shako. I used a 48% stealskull with a ptopaz until I got my first shako, but prefer the shako for the +2 skills.

The ideal answer is a rare/crafted ammy with +2 zon, 8% mana leech, prismatic and 25% MF and I'm still looking for one :p

Have fun,
    bazz.

10. Broncobiv2

Well see, that's the difference. You're using Titans which is going to take a lot of mana with LF. I'm talking about a pure bow pit runner, since the thread started as talking about a strafer (personally mine uses strafe/multi/guided). So for a Javazon/Hybrid, Shako might be more useful. But for a pit running bowazon, with more emphasis on IAS and less on mana, Stealskull is going to be more useful than Shako. The +2 skills won't even help that much since all it'll do is add 10% damage to strafe. It'd help for a FA zon, but FA isn't going to touch all of the cold immunes in the Pit.

11. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

Stealskull is a great helm for a MF bowazon, as Broncobiv2 said. While it's not that great for a javazon, the thread starter was talking about a bowazon rather than a javazon. Thus, the equipment that has been suggested has been based around bowazon, and in particular, strafeazon builds, rather than javazons.

As for MFing the pit anyhow, I would much prefer to use a bowazon, since the only real danger there are the archers who are lightning immune. Strafe clears the area rather quickly, and can deal with all of the monsters there, so you're not depending on melee skills or minions to take out the archers, which will wipe the floor with your minions if you run across a boss pack with nasty modifiers. With my bowazon, I've even taken out fanaticism extra strong, cursed archers, which I would never go near with a javazon.

As for FA, while it's not useful against the cold immunes in the pit, I've found that having it and using it on devilkin and archers in the pit, and using it to help clear a path to the pit significantly speeds up my runs. It's also the method that's allowed me to take out the nasty archer packs that I've come across. However, level 20 FA with about 10 points in cold arrow works just fine without needing +skills or more synergy points to be effective in the pit.

12. sir_bazz

Oooops....now I look really stupid.

Ignore my posts in this thread unless your an LF javazon. :)

bazz.

13. Billweed

Billweed Banned

Mav's set full socketed with 15%IAS/%MF jewels works for me

I have a old d2 conversion zon "Artbow" on us-west with the full set lvl 87 does just fine this set is a 1.08 ver and weapon/bow/Armor all soc'ed 15%IAS/MF jewels. A guy quiting GAVE it 2 ME! Really!
    I think it really helps for a balenced MF (and glowing is cool) it's not the best setup but it works fine for me. She was built pre-synergys so max stafe, FreezeArrow, guided and good passives basicly (what we used to call a Frostmaiden Build).
    More MF is of course always better but with dimishing returns I find 250-300 % is fine now.

14. mpf567

mpf567 IncGamers Member

another great helm to think about for a strafer, is andys visage, personally i thought this helm was a waste and traded any of them away as soon as i found one, but with my strafer, (thats technically a hybrid but in the pit i mostly keep it to strafe) i really like the mods on andys. mostly for the 20 ias. with a sheald WF andys 20 ias gloves and goldwrap thats a perfect 90, so you dont need any more ias from jewels or other gear. the possible 12%? life leech is even better then tals, if you have the mana leech somewhere else, and the 30 to str bassically translates to 30 points saved for dex, which translates to 3o% ED, and extra AR. the other mods on it are nice as well if i recall.

though now that i really think about it a steal skull with 15 ias jewel would also let me hit the 90 break point and give me 25 more mf, maybe i need to rethink andys.....

edit: oh yeah now i remember, andys also gives you the +2 to skills which is always nice on a zon, for passives and main skill (especially for my hybrid the +2 is huge dmg booster) thats why, +2 skills, 20 ias, 12% leech, and 30 str... nice helm

15. kobrakai[UK]

kobrakai[UK] IncGamers Member

monkadin if you want a free pair of Laying of hands gloves let me know as I have 3 pairs lying around and I keep finding them in the pit with my sorc.

If you are interested let me know when you are likely to be online. I'm on Europe ladder.

16. Broncobiv2

Yeah, you'll get 95% IAS, but Stealskull can give you a lot more than 25% MF. It comes with 30-50, and add a P topaz for 24 more. That's 74% MF for a perfect one.

17. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

I think what he was talking about was trading out an andariels visage with ptopaz for a stealskull with an IAS jewel. That will still give him the IAS he needs, but he wouldn't be able to topaz the stealskull. Thus, instead of having 24 MF from the topaz in his helm, he'll have up to 50 from stealskull, with a net difference of around 25....

18. Broncobiv2

Oh right...oops. Good call Biv...socket that Stealskull with an IAS jewel AND a P topaz. Sorry, it's late.