global physical resistance

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
global physical resistance

I've heard of one being in hell difficulty.

How does it work? Do ALL enemies just have a physical resistance rating of 50 instead of 0 in hell difficulty?

SirDooFuss

Diabloii.Net Member
From what I could find it looks like the 50% physical resistance was removed in patch 1.10, but monsters now hit harder and are harder to hit. Here's what the Arreat Summit says:

Monsters on Nightmare Difficulty
On Nightmare Difficulty, Monster Level, hit points, Armor Class, Experience, Damage, Chance to Hit, and Resistances all go up.
Monster skill levels go up +3.
Unique Monsters gain one bonus ability.
Monsters on Hell Difficulty
On Hell Difficulty, Monster Level, hit points, Armor Class, Experience, Damage, Chance to Hit, and Resistances all go up.
Monster skill levels go up +7 in hell. Unique Monsters gain two bonus abilities.

I hope this helps!

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
And on the subject of resistances, what exactly does it mean on the Arreat Summit's description of the Paladin's Conviction aura where it says, "This aura, when breaking an immunity, will only function at 1/5 effectiveness"?

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
If a creature has 100% or more resistance to a certain element (including physical) then they are classed as immune to that element. If they are then affected by conviction (for fire, cold and lightning immunities), lower resist (for fire, cold, lightning and poison immunities), Decrepify (for physical immunities) or Amplify Damage (also for physical immunities) then the negative resistances applied through that skill is at 1/5 effectiveness, rather than full effectiveness.

For example. If you have a level 10 conviction aura (-75% fire, cold and lightning resistances) and you walked into range of a creature with 120 fire resistance, it's fire resistance would be reduced by: 75/5 = 15%. This leaves it with 105% fire resistance, and therefore still immune to fire. Alternatively, if the creature only had 110% fire resistance, then you're level 10 conviction aura would have taken it down to 95% fire resistance, which is no longer immune (though still very resistant to fire attacks).

Notes:
- Decrepify applies a -50% physical resistance to a target
- Amplify Damage applies a -100% physical resistance to a target
- If an immune target is affected by both conviction and lower resist, then they both work at 1/5 effectiveness, even if only one source would have been sufficient to break the immunity.
- Apart from the above mentioned skills, no other items can break an immunity. Therefore, using rainbow facets will not help in breaking a creatures immunity, but it will help afterwards in the event that you're conviction aura or lower resist skill does break it.

Edit: Also, about the NM and Hell creatures resistances. These are hardcoded and there's no guidelines to what % each creatures resistances are increased by. Some creatures have 0% resistances to a certain element on all difficulty levels, while others might suddenly gain 100% resistance to an element on hell, even though they previously had 0% resistance to that element on normal and nightmare.

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
Eh...and what about rainbow facets and whatnot? If items like that simply lower resists, will they work with skills like Zeal and Vengeance? Or will the effects only trigger when I use a regular attack?

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
Eh...and what about rainbow facets and whatnot? If items like that simply lower resists, will they work with skills like Zeal and Vengeance? Or will the effects only trigger when I use a regular attack?
Any items with -resistances, such as Rainbow facets work for all attacks of that element, done by the character wearing the items socketted with the facets. They simply will not work against an immune creature, nor will they help in breaking the immunity. If the creature is not immune (or is no longer immune thanks to conviction or lower resist curse) then the facets function normally.

Note that Zeal by itself is not an elemental attack though. You'll need to have another source of elemental damage in order for the facets to actually do anything, such as charms, your weapon or other equipment.

AlphaMagnum

Diabloii.Net Member
And...how exactly do items like Grief Runewords affect the Vengeance skill? Since it adds 'damage' and doesn't use %Enhanced Damage, will it take my weapon's actual damage to 3XX-4XX? Or does it simply add the damage to my final damage?

EDIT: And though this probably doesn't go here, what IS the best weapon for an Avenger, as the elemental damage from Vengeance is based solely on weapon damage? I'm guessing that I should go for the highest one-handed damage weapon....but I don't know.

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
And...how exactly do items like Grief Runewords affect the Vengeance skill? Since it adds 'damage' and doesn't use %Enhanced Damage, will it take my weapon's actual damage to 3XX-4XX? Or does it simply add the damage to my final damage?
No. The +damage from grief will not be factored in the weapon damage that is used to calculate the damage used for vengeance. The +damage from grief will be used to calculate your final physical damage though, after the elemental damage from vengeance is determined.

EDIT: And though this probably doesn't go here, what IS the best weapon for an Avenger, as the elemental damage from Vengeance is based solely on weapon damage? I'm guessing that I should go for the highest one-handed damage weapon....but I don't know.
You might be better off checking the paladin forum.