Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gloams.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Zarhrezz, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Gloams.

I just rediscovered how retardedly bugged Gloams are. 65% ES reduction, 87% lightning resistance, 610 life...1 stroke. And that's just the regular act III Swamp Gloams, the first type you encounter. I guess it's swapping the Arachnid for a Thundergod's for a while. Just dumb how you need a specific item to have a fighting chance against a certain monster.

(Yes, I'm kinda annoyed since I managed to get this far with a total of 6 deaths going through 8 player hell up to the Swamp and pretty much take a death every time you meet some Gloams. Extra Strong/Cursed/Might Sszark the Burning needed a critical hit to 1-hit kill me, I could take a regular hit by him and he was by far the most dangerous that I've encountered this far (out of the other 5 deaths, 3-4 could have been prevented by being somewhat more careful)...then you get Gloams (who I can 1-hit kill at times, otherwise it's 2 hits) and you have no chance to survive make your time. Just stupid.
    [/ :rant: ]

2. Hergrom

Hergrom IncGamers Member

Yes, the gloams certainly suck!

The best defense I have found against them is Cloak of Shadows with my 'sin. I imagine Dim Vision works against them as well, but have never tried. Re-rolling the monsters can work wonders too... :lol:

Hergrom

3. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

that is why i built storm

a avenger that can achive totaly 351% res lightning with the help of his res aura

add to that the absorb from lightabre and t-gods and the fact that he has 95% res lightning normaly in hell even without the aura and you have a gloom hunter.

will trade for a azurwrath and swap on a wisp projector for even more puch against them

4. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

My only char who had problems with gloams was my Hammerdin. The others just mowed through them like they were butter. 75% resist and no absorb whatsoever. Although an IK barb with 3.5k life is hard to put down but hey! :lol: My grizzy pally didn't mind them at all, so did my m'avina zon. You just have to be carefull, that's all.

5. Starkey

Starkey IncGamers Member

When they start to heal u its all good hehe my old necromancer went out of his way to fight gloams except conviction gloams he always turned tail.

6. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

The only type of gloam that has been able to kill me outright is a pack of normal ones on my Trapsin. Mainly because she used only lightning, and I didn't know about the whole 'stay still and they pwn you' thing.

Otherwise nowadays the only Gloams that threaten me are Conviction Extra Fast Extra Strong ones. They're evil.

7. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

no char of mine has any problems with them... not even my fireclaw bear (yet)... only thing that bugs him are fire immunes :teeth:

but i suggestto have a t-gods in your stash for those guys, i mean the can pack a punch but with a t-gods and a wisp they are no biggie

8. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

I hate the wayenergy shield absorbs elemental damage before resistance... mana will be gone really quickly when hit by gloams... must.. try.. not... to... get... hit.... :rant:

9. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

There is no way to become immune to any elemental damage in 1.10 now.
    You can reach a maximum 95% Resistance.
    Absorb is capped at 40% Max, so no healing from such damage even double wielding Lightsabers when getting hit by lightning for instance.

Damage absorbed is that damage done to you after resistances are taken into account, with 95% Resist you don't need absorb at all.

Gloams are sick not because their attack seems to do so much damage in one hit but because they can hit you with multiple bolts simultaneously and a portion of that damage is physical damage not just lightning damage. What you see as one bolt can be as many as 5.

My paladin survives Gloam attacks in Hell with 75% LR with no absorb for the following reasons
    1. I have some DR
    2. I have ~1300 life
    3. I never attempt to take on large packs, I try and split them up so I can take 1 or 2 on at a time.
    I don't need to use Salvation for normal Gloams as my resist is already high enough, I only use it against Conviction bar stewards.

10. -.kreizi.-

-.kreizi.- IncGamers Member

ermmm which one is the Gloam monster?

11. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Gloams look like white lights and can almost be insible while moving. They can fly across water and have two types of attack: one rather wimpy melee attack and a much more dangerous Lightning attack (that looks just like the Sorceress´ Lightning). They are always visible when they are involved in close combat.

There are three "subspecies" (that I know of):

Gloams can occur in Great Marsh and Swampy Pit (and in 1.10, also in NM/Hell Frozen River and the other ice caves with water).
    Burning Souls have their home in Plains of Despair. (and some area in NM/Hell act 5 that I have forgotten)
    Black Souls are new in 1.10, and can be found in NM/Hell Worldstone Keep

The general consensus is that they are bugged (at least in NM and Hell), because they deal their physical melee damage on top of the already strong Lightning. That physical damage hits several times from one Lightning stream. Gloams are often in close packs, which means that several of them often shoot at you at the same time. Their range of vision is long and the lightning passes right through merc/minions, making them extra dangerous, especially since elemental damage stuns in LoD.

12. -.kreizi.-

-.kreizi.- IncGamers Member

So thats why my necro had endless potion drinking in NM act 4..... lol they are bugged. i thought that how the hell they get so much damage into me. anyway thanx for info, cheers :drink:

13. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

ehh wrong i do get healed from time to time by them.

and thats 95% res(would be more but there is a cap) lightsabre and t-gods

besides i can if i want swap on res lightning to with give me the ability to tank glooms with the conviction aura.

no dr for me and about 1200 life

14. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

I just got reminded of how gloams suck by my hammerdin who had only 67% light res and a t-gods. A Champion pack pwned me in seconds, 8 more deaths just trying to get my corpse back, god knows how much monry I spent reviving the merc. My fishymancer sees a gloam and he runs and hides. My avenger can tank them and my sorc as well, but she has 75% res +t-gods and they don't last long under orb bombardment. i guess we lost MSLE and got FE and gloams.

15. slowpoke

slowpoke IncGamers Member

When I found gloams in the plains of despair, I ended up rerolling the monsters until there were none. (save, exit, and then restart game)

Having a half dozen lightening bolts come from off screen and kill my sorc in seconds is more than she can handle. (about 1000 life, 60% light resist)

She has no more than the usual problems clearing the plains with any other monster combination.

slowpoke

16. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

I switched in Thundergod's Vigor and at the same 87% resist I now don't lose life to them any longer. So +20 lightning absorb changed it from instant death to not an itch. Go figure.

17. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I think the lightning deals damage in many short "bursts", since the damage you take is proportional to the time you stand in the stream. If Thundergod´s Vigor absorbs 20 damage from each of those bursts, it means they have to deal over 40 damage each if you are to be hurt at all.

18. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Each bolt can hit up to 5 times, so Absorb is extremely helpful in negating Gloam dmg.