Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Giving It the Time It Deserved...

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Peacrusher, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Peacrusher

Peacrusher IncGamers Member

Giving It the Time It Deserved...

I started to lvl up my Assasin mule. OMG a mule assasin?

Yeh well it all started when I found some decent assasin specific gear. I figured I would create a mule and then when I felt motivated enough I would play her.

Well I decided this weekend I would take her at least through norm. Please give me input on how I did, AND on where to go next. This is my only attempt in creating an assasin, so please help where you see fit.

I and a couple of buds on my Flist Started lvling in act 1 norm. I was pleased with how well my assasin was doin using the fists of fire charge up and burst of speed. I took out andy w/o much difficulty we had all lvled up to around lvl 17 by the time we finished act 1. Course we were walking the whole way and deliberatly fighting all the monsters.

I got into the pattern of adding 2 pts to str/dex and 1 to vit. This has worked well for me up to my current lvl (30).

skills I've put points into are

Claw mastery (not quite maxed 18)
    Burst Speed 4
    Block 3

1 pt in everything else:
    Tiger Strike
    Fist of Fire
    Thunder Claws
    Shadow warrior
    Shadow Master
    Fade
    Cloak of shadows

Once I finish claw mastery I have no idea what other skills to master. I want this to be a PVM build cuz I really don't have much interest in PvP. I will have 2 claws eventually and weapon/shield on switch. I don't know what Finishing move or charge up skill is the most effective for PvM. I will be doing a lot of hell playing and I want her to be able to do well with minimal loss of lives.

I've been accumulating skill gloves/helms from my other MF chars. So far I have the following

1 Jade talon 1/1
    Nat's boots
    +3 traps circlet (prolly will trade it)
    +1 assasin skill ammy (yellow)
    dual leech ring
    +2 Martial arts gloves
    +2 Shadow skill gloves
    Shadow dancers +1's
    +2 shadow skill bone helm lvl 30 requirement (WOOT)

Not all this I can use yet but will be able to within the next 20 or so lvls.

I plan to lvl till 50 in norm then take nm on.... What skills are needed for me to do nm w/o much problem?

And one other thing... How difficult is it to obtain Nat's set? What peices are the hardest to aquire? Are any of my above items a fair offer for pieces when/if I decide to trade? Thanks

2. Peacrusher

Well I'm convinced that no one is willing to impart their advice. I've read some of the stickies up top and after getting a headache from trying to decipher the math. I guess I'll just go with Phoenix and what ever multiple kick finishing move that adds damage on consecutive kicks? I hope I'm interpreting it right. I guess I'll fumble around since I don't know what skills are good.

Thanks to those of you who've read this thread. I'll check back to see if I raised any sympathy posts. :(

3. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

Well it's hard for us to tell what you like and what you don't like. Some ppl like phoenix strikers , others like kickers. Then there are ppl who like trappers alot.

Anyway the guides are only a suggestion really. Just read a few that sound interesting , and draw your conclusions. If you think you like such a build try it out. There's no other way to find out wether you like it or not.

4. Peacrusher

Well what I like is being able to kill monsters quickly and not dieing myself. I don't understand how the charge ups and finishing skill work exactly. As my original post stated i've relied on dual claw attacking but i've not commited to a skill. Explain how these finishing moves work. I don't understand other than it is a secondary attack.

and I HATE TRAPS personally so I'll be totally melee.

5. Peacrusher

well I finallly maxed claw mastery and started puting a few points in finishing moves. Don't know which one is best for me. As one sin said last night...
    "They all are pretty much the same for pvm." Can this be true? any how I put a point in talon and the Dclaw.

Then the epiphany... venom... Duh! why in the world did I not think of this?
    .4 sec duration and the skill adds pdmg quickly. About 6 points later I was taking baal down myself. Gonna have to max that one.

OK now for the questions that I still don't have answers to.

1. Blade traps state +3/4 weapon damage etc. Does that mean it adds to my weapons or that it takes 3/4 of my claws and applies it to the blade traps?

2. What charge up skill is worth the points? Tigerstrike I've been using lately but have points in fist, thunder, and ice, thought I would go to phoenix but I was told phoenix wasn't worth the effort.

3. what Finishing move is the MOST effective in dealing with monster? Keep in mind that I DO have shadow dancers if I need to kick. Pros/cons of each would be nice.

4. Finally The shadow "minion" what is the pro's/cons of each and should I bother messing with putting points there?

5. Really finally.... What merc is best suited for me? Martial artist/shadows. I was thinking act 2 might would add damage for me but I don't know for sure.

6. plasteredkittylizard

plasteredkittylizard IncGamers Member

Wow - I'm not THAT experienced with assassins, but I'll try to offer my 2 cents...

1) I think it takes 3/4 damage from your weapon and adds it to the blade skills.

2) Ive heard a lot of good things about Tiger Strike, and I've liked it so far...I'm debating TS vs Pheonix Strike at the moment, but TS looks VERY good for early on....

3) From my knowledge, a lot of people like Dragon Tail. Personally, I use a normal attack to release charges...

4) I would - the minions are like lil versions of you that use whatever skills you have equipped at the time - plus, they can drop 'auras' to help you out, like Cloak of Shadows, I beleive. I've seen some good things, and an additional tank is always cool...

5) I'd go with Act 2 Holy Freeze - hard as youll be hitting, you can charge up on 3 monsters, shattering them prolly, then unleash on a big beasty, and with as much heat as youll be throwing you could shatter the beastie as well...

PS) DO NOT underestimate Burst of Speed - that aura is SICK!!!!!!

Also, another FUN build is the Blender assassin - check the strategy compedium - soooooooo fun! Another is a BoS assassin who uses Cloak of Shadows and a good bow to take enemys down quickly from a distance. Worth looking into.

Hope this helps!

7. Peacrusher

thanks for that info. I've put off playing her a while for more mf time. I scored a SS recently and was thinking of making a Jav as my weap switch. with BoS. this should be a good fast distance killer.

How many points in BoS? Cuz I want to put points in venom as well and still have points in charge up and finish.... am I spreading myself too thin?

8. GIR

GIR Banned

A few things I've found in my somewhat limited experience. I, too, have never used the elemental traps. If I could do a few things over on mine, I'd do this...

Max Claw Mastery
    1 Point into Burst of Speed
    Max Fade
    Max Venom
    17 or Max Shadow Master (I think 17's some sort of magic number in terms of what it does, but I could also be thinking if the Amazon's Valkyrie, so someone else is gonna have to clear up that one.)
    1 Point into Cloak of Shadows
    I point into Mind Blast.
    Blade Fury... some people like 1 point, some like Max. It takes 3/4 of your weapon damage, and ads x amount extra points per level. Some people don't like to max it because the returns aren't all that worth it, and the mana cost per blade goes up, but, with a little bit of Mana Leech, as long at you have a traget to hit, you can sit and shoot them all day. I'd still put only 1 point, personally. Remember it can also Life Leech, but it used your AR to hit, so Max Claw Masters helps out this skill as well.
    Weapon Block... I'd go for 50% chance, however many points that is. Remember that they can block anything. (Or near anything, failing that.)

After that, whatever Martial Arts skills suit your fancy. I can't help you here as I've never used 'em.

9. Syphilis

Syphilis IncGamers Member

blade fury deals 3/4 of all your dmg (phys, elemental, poison)
    the biggest pb with BF is AR.
    if you are using a claw class weapon, i think your AR is boosted by CM, though i'm not 100% sure about it.

the blender built is dead in 1.10.

take a shadow master. 99% of players agree on this point.
    go for 11, 13 or 17 points into SM with + skills (2 * +3shadow claw on switch when casting her). at 11, she has a lot of good rare gear. this level IS A MUST. i think she gains a rare ring a 13 and a rare ammy at 17. check the faqs, but i think i'm right on this point (i think 11 is the best deal. only go for 13 or 17 if you really don't have anything else to pump)

only 1 point into BoS as your +6shadow skills on switch + skills on equipment will give you a ~10 Slvl.

don't go tiger strike with dragon claw. it'd a waste. you deal more damage with DC alone than by charging TS then DC, it has been proved.
    use TS ONLY if you are planning on using DTail.

you can use PS with synergy points into FoF and CoT to help with PI but it requires a heavy investment (like 10FoF/10CoT/20PS) but you won't have enough skill points to do this.

even if you don't like traps, you should invest at least 10 points into death sentry for the corpse explosion effect. you will be efficient vs single monsters with CM/Venom/DC but you need death sentry to deals with packs.
    My dtaloner has a max death sentry with 9 points into FB for more shots and it rules

10. Peacrusher

Thanks for the detailed info... I think I screwed her up already... So tiger strike and tail work together best huh?..... I'm putting points into venom at the moment and I'm using Dragon claw as my finish with a tiger strike charge... I'll put points into shadow master as I lvl through nm. I prolly will rebuild her later. She was fun in norm even though I wasn't dealing great damage.

BoS should be limited? I only have a couple of points there but I thought the more the better. since I can attack faster..... and slice and dice monsters.

11. GIR

GIR Banned

1 is fine due to diminishing returns per additional stat point. It should be raised plenty once you get some +skills. Fade is much better to put points into. Resistances on demand, plus a hidden Damage Reduction mod it has per point put into it.

12. Syphilis

Syphilis IncGamers Member

the pb here is that the ED bonus from TS only works with the first claw of DC. the second clawattacks as if TS wasn't charged.
    this is why you deals less dmg per unit of time with TS+DC than DC alone.

with DC+CM+venom, you have a strong primary attack for signle targets that deals with PI due to high venom level (~30). add in some lit charms and you are set.

DS is the best choice to complement this versus large groups. kill a monster, throw a DS, and keep on killing while DS cut the monsters'life by large amount. it helps in NM, it's mandatory in HELL.

13. Peacrusher

DS is like the necro's corpse explosion right? How many points to that again? I feel like i've already burned up too many.... I'll finish maxing venom... then shadow master to lvl 17 (i think that was the lvl) then back to martial arts ... Dragon tail with tiger strike (best pair?)