Give opinion- mercenary

Anksun

Diabloii.Net Member
Give opinion- mercenary

I'll start with a quick review.

He's a holy freeze merc.
He's level 90.

I have recently made a stone armor for him. With a good share of luck the armor turns out to be a 3120 defense one (Eth Kraken Shell)

I also have for him an eth Andariel Helm of 522 defense and +29 str.

Currently he's using an eth ariocs needle +4 all skills.

At the beginning i have get the helm 'cause i though this would help my mercenary wear a sacred armor 'stone' but since i got this one, Andy Helm is still nice but not a must. He can used the armor without any need of +str.

My question is what would you do with my merc?

First off, I wanna say i'm considering making him an Eth War Pike BOTD. (no i'm not rich... in fact he would have better stuff than me with this but i like it :) )

It's an open debate, i'll probably listen to the propositions here and see what i can do.

Some more questions to help start this discussion:
Is Holy Freeze really the best for him? i'm hammerdin, he's already benefit from my concentration, perhaps getting an offensive merc would be nice? Perhaps a defiance one would benefit GREATLY from the armor he have?
is BOTD the best choice? DOOM perhaps? or...

Thanks. let's make this one the best we can. Btw would adding a pdiamond to the andy helm would remove this annoying -30fire res by a good margin. 'cause when i put this helm, res goes from 69 to -39 fire for him... I hate this.

alainpp66

Diabloii.Net Member
Ethereal Doom (HFreeze already) + Defensive Normal/Hell Merc with the Defiance aura for your build.

Diamonds only Add AR in Helms.... it would take an Um rune or a Jewel.

Need to keep the leech up though, so either stick with Andy's (+skills will make a difference with Defiance aura... The IAS may help you attain a breakpoint, depending on your setup), or go to Tal Rasha's to boost your Res, life and keep a solid leech.

Anksun

Diabloii.Net Member
i like this idea.

What is best fire resists i could get in a rare jewel?
Can this go up anywhere close to what a ral (+30% fire res) will give?

Also, let's say i put a Ral in Andy helm, it would put fire res on item at -5%? Cause i really dont understand how it's work for a merc. I mean, No helm =69 res. I add Andy helm = -35(in this range) fire res... strange to me.

And considering i decided to keep the andy helm with the ral in (not yet done)
What weapon to make My doom ?
ETH Thresner? ETH Cryptic Axe? Eth Voulge or Giant Thresner?
I think you see me coming...
Will he reach a new breakpoint of speed with the andy helm on and either of those for doom...? Both 3 choices have different base speed of 10, 0 and -10.

With dooms bonus of +45ias, this should already be decent with any one i guess.

Nonetheless, should be funny to see this merc back at level 90...
And of Course, if i dont keep this holy freeze one, i'll bring him from normal for better stats. :)

sangfagel

Diabloii.Net Member
I like alain´s proposal too but a funny alternative would be:

Delirium helm
1% Chance To Cast Level 50 Delirium (stun) When Struck
6% Chance To Cast Level 14 Mind Blast When Struck
14% Chance To Cast Level 13 Terror When Struck
11% Chance To Cast Level 18 Confuse On Striking

+2 To All Skills
+261 Defense
+10 To Vitality
50% Extra Gold From Monsters
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Level 17 Attract (60 Charges)

Reaper´s toll
Two-Hand Damage: (34.8-40.8) To (411.8-482.8) (223.3-261.8 Avg)
Required Level: 75
Required Strength: 114
Required Dexterity: 89
Durability: 65
Base Weapon Speed: [-10]
+190-240% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Ignore Target's Defense
Adds 4-44 Cold Damage
11-15% Life Stolen Per Hit (varies)
33% Deadly Strike
33% Chance To Cast Level 1 Decrepify On Striking
Requirements -25%

Corpsemourn (may be upgraded)
Defense: 1127-1262 (Base Defense: 451)
Required Level: 55
Required Strength: 170
Durability: 60
+150-180% Enhanced Defense (varies)
Level 5 Corpse Explosion (40 Charges)
Adds 12-36 Fire Damage
6% Chance To Cast Level 2 Iron Maiden When Struck
Cold Resist +35%
+10 To Vitality
+8 To Strength
In this case I would let him be Holy freeze. My idea is of course to make a cursing machine :lol:

Anksun

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey!

I dont want all those littles monsters to run all over the place as soon as my merc hit them!! :howdy:

Anybody can answer my questions about the andy helm? 'cause i really cant keep fire resists at -39... But i do like this helm for my merc with the def and str bonus.

akuma2

Diabloii.Net Member
I believe that Andariel (act boss) has poor fire resistance. Andariel's visage has -30 to fire resistance as far as I know.

Anksun said:
Hey!

I dont want all those littles monsters to run all over the place as soon as my merc hit them!! :howdy:

Anybody can answer my questions about the andy helm? 'cause i really cant keep fire resists at -39... But i do like this helm for my merc with the def and str bonus.

Anksun

Diabloii.Net Member
What you guys think of going to max damage?

With andy helm and the stone armor, he's at over 5000 def without any defiance aura. I guess defiance would bring him in the 15000?

Would this make any difference huge difference? Only time he's dying is when he is amp, decrepify, etc... by those warriors...

How about if i get might instead of defiance with the holy aura from weapon? You know what kind of damage he could get? He's currently at 5700 damage with my concentration aura and the 540damage ariocs needle...

alainpp66

Diabloii.Net Member
Bps for all Spears/Polearms with the A2 Merc

Code:
Base Speed -20, Mancatcher
IAS 	FPS 	APS 
0 	7 	3.5 
9 	6.5 	3.8 
27 	6 	4.1 
52 	5.5 	4.5 
102 	5 	5

Base Speed -10, Thresher, GThresher, Hyperion Spear
IAS 	FPS 	APS 
0 	7.5 	3.3 
8 	7 	3.5 
22 	6.5 	3.8 
44 	6 	4.1 
75 	5.5 	4.5 
142 	5 	5 

Base Speed 0, Great Poleaxe, Ghost Spear, Stygian Pike
IAS 	FPS	APS 
0 	8 	3.1 
9 	7.5 	3.3 
20 	7 	3.5 
37 	6.5 	3.8 
65 	6 	4.1 
105 	5.5 	4.5 
200 	5 	5 

Base Speed 10, Cryptic Axe, Colossus Voulge
IAS 	FPS 	APS 
0 	9 	2.7 
5 	8.5 	2.9 
11 	8 	3.1 
22 	7.5 	3.3 
35 	7 	3.5 
56 	6.5 	3.8 
92 	6 	4.1 
147 	5.5 	4.5 

Base Speed 20, War Pike
IAS 	FPS 	APS 
0 	10 	2.5 
4 	9.5 	2.6 
9 	9 	2.7 
15 	8.5 	2.9 
24 	8 	3.1 
37 	7.5 	3.3 
54 	7 	3.5 
80 	6.5 	3.8 
129 	6 	4.1 
208 	5.5 	4.5
Well, How do you fare?? Defiance is significant, but if you both very rarely die, you might as well squeeze that little extra damage out of him. Defiance probably would enable him to tank while Amped and Decreped, even.

As for the Andy's helm... that's awfully strange. Maybe it Sets your Res to -30 as opposed to reducing it by 30... If that's the case, I don't see Ral helping. I would turn to Tal's Mask or CoT in that situation.

For 1.10, hard to say what's possible when it comes to Rares. You can get Ruby (+30 Fire Res) and Scintillating (+15 Res all) but It,s hard to say if they're allowed on the same jewel. They may be considered from the same prefix group and I don't think I've ever seen a jewel with more than 30% of 1 res.

The Str isn't that considerable... and with Tal's, you could socket an IAS jewel, still gain some life, res and keep the same amount of leech.

Anksun

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks,

that was significant infos.

I'll stand by your 1st proposition and try the defiance one. Would be cool if he can survive a little bit more when amp and decrep. (i do know those magics enough but i know he's surviving 1 of those 2 easily but there's one which make him like a little baby against bunch of monsters)

You're right about Andy Helm, Str is not need that much. First idea was to make the Stone in a Sacred armor, so Str of andy helm would be need. Not anymore since i got one with "low requirements".

Since Doom have inherent 45% IAS. I think i'll consider both Cryptic axe and/or Thresner-GT. Those would put me at 6 FPS. Or by adding 15ias jewel in helm, I would achieved 6.5 FPS. I guess the difference in damage for cryptic would help close the gap of little less speed?

Thanks, i still might try to put a rune- or ias jewel with fire res on andy helm to see what happen... If no helm = 69res, andy helm = -39 res... Maybe a res would bring this res back to like 50... lol Who knows :)