Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Give a big welcome for...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thirty-Thirty, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty Diabloii.Net Member

Give a big welcome for...

Ahoy,

After several weeks of play, I have finally completed a Hammerdin (untwinked, by the way). I'm generally a spellcaster fan, so this guy is an interesting build for me. He has the life of a melee build, but the nature of a caster: the best of both worlds. I had a few interesting notes:

Firstly, the Maggot Lair (Hell difficulty) sticks out in my mind as the most annoying area ever! Though he owned the rest of Act II, he got annihilated in there. Grrrrr...

Secondly, he picked up a Guardian Angel in Hell Act 1, so by the time I got to Act 5, I had 77/87/90/90 resists. I haev never been able to charge Gloam bosspacks with such reckless abandon. It was a real treat.

Thirdly, I can't believe how much this guy devastated act end bosses, particularly in Hell. Mephisto is normally no problem, but Diablo and Baal were walkovers too. (And while I remember, this guy butchered the Ancients on Hell. Another first.)

There were some laughs (gremlins teleporting into the paths of hammers), and some tears (died in WSK 1), but he was generally fun. Demahrnim, the level 83 Hammerdin, will probably be retired to running the Cow level for runes.

And what did Baal drop me for my efforts? A rare crystal sword and a magical long staff. :mad:

Adios,
    30-30

2. dragon457

dragon457 Diabloii.Net Member

Bravestarr was cool…

Anyway, nj on the Pally. I was about to start a hammerdin when I decided to go with NF’s Berzerker barb. Out of curiosity, what was your other equipment and such? Did you use the maximum damage build or come up with your own? I’d like to know as much as possible because I think I’ll finally make a hammerdin when I’m done with my barb.

3. corax

corax Diabloii.Net Member

grats on the pat.

4. Shade

Shade Diabloii.Net Member

Congratulations! :)

Hammerdins tend not to shine in confined spaces, so your frustration at the Maggot Lair is understandable. Don't worry, other builds have their 'most hated area' too... :)

Good luck with the rune hunting!

5. Ahab

Ahab Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats to you! I'm starting my own hammerdin just for the experience of it and to determine for myself the 'cheese factor' involved. For the Maggot lair, would it have been practical to switch your form of attack? I've heard it is totally impossible to hammer there.

Double congrats on going untwinked, btw!

6. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus Diabloii.Net Member

Not impossible ... but can be difficult. You sometimes have to reposition yourself a couple of times or back off to a bend/corner before your hammers hit your target and then it's one at a time. If you don't want to kill everything in sight then you can tele through the maggot lair to quicken it up a bit ... or let your merc slog through for you or use a secondary attack ...

7. Mordalles

Mordalles Diabloii.Net Member

congrats on the pat.

im playing a hc one myself on the spf hc ladder. so, this will boast my confidence, but not too much.

8. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty Diabloii.Net Member

The kit? Well, I'm sick of paging through the dumped info, so here is the abridged version:

Guardian Angel: Def 772, +1 skills, +15 max resists
    Lore Crown: Def 26 (blecch!), +1 skills
    Magical Paladin Shield: +37 resist all, 2 perfect diamonds
    Rare war scepter: +2 skills
    Magical amulet: +10 str, +27 resist all
    Rare rings: +30ish mana, some resists (between them)
    Rare gloves: poison resist, magic find, etc.
    Rare boots: lightning and cold resist, faster walk, etc.
    Rare vampirefang belt: Def 181, fire resist.

Buildwise, I kind of looked at the maximum damage build, and had it at the back of my mind. I put 5 points into Blessed Aim from level 12, and then maxed Blessed Hammer as soon as possible. I also popped 5 onto Holy Shield right away, mostly to up the duration. (I get annoyed at having to recast it.) I then slowly made my way through maxing the synergies and concentration, but I don't remember exactly how. I do know that I maxed Concentration last. (About 5 points in a row to finish it off.)

I played Normal and Nightmare on /players 5, and most of Hell on /players 3. (Except for bosses, and that darned Maggot Lair.)

Now that he's done, I have twinked him a little. I gave him a Hand of Blessed Light*, and found a two-socketed Superior Hydraskull, into which I placed a Lore.

Good luck with your Hammerdin when he comes.

30-30

*If you're wondering why I don't give him a Wizardspike, its because I can't accept my paladin running around with a dagger. It just doesn't look right...

@Ahab: Could've worked, but I was playing untwinked, and simply didn't have a good enough weapon to make it work.