Giga's 1.11 Ladder Hammerdin Guide!

Chicken

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Giga's 1.11 Ladder Hammerdin Guide!

Great guide. I Have a level ** Hamerdin with Anni, Torch, Hoto, Eni, Zaka, Shako, 2x SoJ, Maras, Magefists and Sandstorms. I don't plan on buying any skillers for it so, with the exception of a couple of fhr small charms, my build is complete.

I have a problem though. Up until level 80 every attribute point I have gained has gone into Vitality and every skill point since 80 (so 8 points for now) has been saved. How do I figure out how many points I should put into Holy shield and dexterity to achieve max block? I don't want to overspend on dexterity especially.

Another question - Is it viable to keep it a max Vita build? Or is doing so just a waste of the Holy shield skill?

Ragnarod

DiabloII.Net Pal

This is the formula for block:

Total Block = (Block * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)

Where Block is (Shield Block + Holy Shield bonus) if you are using Holy Shield. Notice that even if you won’t be shown more than 75% blocking in your shield, its base chance to block might be higher (for example, Stormshield has 77% chance to block, and Herald of Zakarum has 82% chance to block for paladins, those are the numbers that you have to use).

Is it viable to keep it a max vita build? I think it would be, but you'd be much better off going with a little less life and getting enough dex for max block in my opinion.

nulio

Diabloii.Net Member

You can also cast holy shield and use the mouse pointer and the character screen to see your % block. Just hover your defense after casting HS in town and it'll show it. Add dex points till you have 75%.

In battle the same thing shows the chance a monster has to hit you I think.

(I don't have D2 here to confirm all this info)

Slyk

Diabloii.Net Member

so i got all the gear except the sheild

shako mara hoto enig 2 sojs magefists arach and travs.

my question is what sheild should i get a good pally spirt or a hoz? wich one will lead to faster killing? i have a spirit that is 28 fcr will that work or do i need a perf one?

mr.dines

Diabloii.Net Member

I like the fcr of spirit, but depends on what fcr you want to hit, if 75 is good enough for you, then go Hoz:

125 fcr: hoto (40), arach (20), magefist (20), spirit (35) and one fcr ring/amu (10)

125 fcr: -//- spirit (25+), two fcr rings/amu (20)

75 fcr: hoto, arach, mage, hoz, mara, sojs

UllaV

Diabloii.Net Member

Any thoughts on nerfing the hammer in 1.13?

Ulla

Swamigoon

Diabloii.Net Member

Any thoughts on nerfing the hammer in 1.13?
Since BH greatly synergizes Holy Bolt, there might be a few hammer players that put more points in HB as a magic-immune undead solution.

emaster

Diabloii.Net Member

Something I noticed about plus skills...

synergies dont work at very high levels. My +2 combat skills ammy has same damage as maras for +2 to all skills.

meaning synergies only work for points you put into them, not + skills.

which is why tearhaunch doensn't add hammer damage and and such.

I'm not sure if this is known but I've been looked through tons of guides and hours searching through forums and this has not been anywhere. Because of this I must say that Pally spirit > HOZ any day because FCR based on my experience.

And if you got the resist from charms or what not to get away from maras than you are going to want a +3 combat ammy with FCR/whatev you need based on other gear.

With a hoto and magefist I find this easily gets 125% fcr breakpoint and sacrifices almost no damage. Also using the spirit makes the ammy with +3comb/fcr more possible due to increase resist of the pally spirit.

so basically one less skill point than hoz/maras using spirit/magic or crafted ammy and almost = resist but 45 more FCR

also based using that knowledge magic circlets start to look better because no synergies means that + all skillz isn;t super useful except for concentration bonus.

the same might go for hoto but I've heard you can get white scepters with +3bh +3 concentrate and +2 holy shield. I assume you can make a hoto out of that and keep the plus skills cuz you can with pally spirit but thats just an untried assumption (and expensive experiment!)

bottom line magic ammy/spirit > than maras/hoz and tearhaunch does not help damage (cuz I've seen people misguided by that.)

onavelzy

Diabloii.Net Member

i'm gonna take a chance and respond based on memory, which is not that great, but i'm at work and don't have enough time to dig up the correct answer and link it:

i believe synergies only apply to hard points, they don't kick in with skill points from plus skill items.

i could be wrong, it's been a while. i'm on one of those periodic "picking the game back up after being gone for x years" jags

TheSpecialOne

Diabloii.Net Member

nice guide made my first hammer on this bulid, he kicks *** and i can clear whole game without any problems.

didnt read all 12 pages of comments but i have 1 question.

i have act2 holy freeze merc he never dies except in cs because of the im thats why i avoid it.
i see people use act 3 merc for cs and i what it also but i dont know what eq to use.
pls can someone write down what eq do i use for cs runs

nurman

Diabloii.Net Member

nice guide made my first hammer on this bulid, he kicks *** and i can clear whole game without any problems.

didnt read all 12 pages of comments but i have 1 question.

i have act2 holy freeze merc he never dies except in cs because of the im thats why i avoid it.
i see people use act 3 merc for cs and i what it also but i dont know what eq to use.
pls can someone write down what eq do i use for cs runs
I think Spirit shield azurewrath combo is pretty usual, don't know about helm or armor thought.

TheSpecialOne

Diabloii.Net Member

I think Spirit shield azurewrath combo is pretty usual, don't know about helm or armor thought.
ty for reply, but i have managed to put some stuff together and i am quite suprised

weapon - lawbringer
sheild - eth phonex
helm - kiras
armor - fortitude

now mana is a litle bit of isue so i had to change my raven (max block) for soj
and i have to drink pots some time but he can do cs now without any problems and he still freezes monsters on baal run, he never dies

Ragnarod

DiabloII.Net Pal

Doesn't the merc steal corpses from you with that Phoenix shield? You could just try a Spirit monarch on him, it would probably work better. And the merc doesn't benefit from the 300% ED on Fortitude, have you considered trying something different, such as Vipermagi or Glad's Bane (for survivability)?

Syrannosauruss

Diabloii.Net Member

Is there any advantage to eth treks other than defense? I thought the whole point of the Hammerdin was to kill things before they hit you.

Lightsins

Diabloii.Net Member

Hey guys! I am considering making a hammerdin to help me MF better and this guide is very detailed. What I would like to know is how do hammerdins manage to stay alive when everyone else is dieing :p

IE: souls in baal room in 8p hell game, souls witches and dolls in frozen river passage (I tried to do hell anya quest on my own with my 87 fo/cl sorc, dex build, and failled miserably, then a hammerdin comes to help, and he clears whole place in a blink of an eye...).

Also I notice they stand right on top where the mob waves are supposed to spawn and they don't take any damage at all... How is this possible? Even with max resists and I stay at range because even hydras can kill me in....

It has something to do with one of their auras? Or they are all runing godlike gear making them immune to everything in game?

I mainly want to be able to MF the common places like pit, mausoleum, andy, wsk lvls 2-3 and throne room ofc. Is this possible with a hammerdin?

I don't have much good gear as I never found any runes higher than Io even in hell - bad luck :p I have a spirit sword, can give him a lore helm, probably a spirit shield in a normal 4os shield, got ravenfrost / manaldheal rings, +3 combat skills amulet, can try craft him one as I have loads of Pamethysts, magefists, several pairs of unique / set boots and that's about it :p Stealth or Smoke armor probably as well.

Thing is my sorc has very high problems with gloams, dolls - sigh, archers / witches, LE / CE mobs (0 CR, but I have max LR and diden't notice any difference), she can't blind teleport pretty much as anything can kill her really fast.

So are paladins much more durable than sorcs overall, or just because of godly - not likely attainable items for most normal players.

Thanks a bunch!

MFDeath

Diabloii.Net Member

Also I notice they stand right on top where the mob waves are supposed to spawn and they don't take any damage at all... How is this possible? Even with max resists and I stay at range because even hydras can kill me in....
-Standing in the middle of the mob spamming hammers causes all the monsters to either A) die instantly or B) get stuck in hit recovery the instant they spawn, so nothing touches them... And with stacked res (or absorb) and tons of life, the Hydras don't have much on Hdins...

It has something to do with one of their auras? Or they are all runing godlike gear making them immune to everything in game?
-Perhaps, Sanctuary will boost your res alot and Redemption will convert corpses to heal you, but most Hdins don't even bother switching to them; again, good gear will net you high res and lots of life so you can take the abuse... not necessarily "immune to everything", but nearly :p

So are paladins much more durable than sorcs overall, or just because of godly - not likely attainable items for most normal players.
-Pallys are IMO definitely a more naturally "durable" class for a few reasons, namely Holy Shield which practically guarantees max block and high defense, as well as the fact that they're essentially a melee class and therefore receive much more life per Vit point. Couple that with high res and a huge magical attack and you've got the best of both worlds. Thus, the reason some people call Hdins "cheesy" is because they essentially have every advantage in the book even without godly gear, but it's a snowball effect because since they're already so effective most Hdin players eventually end up with more powerful itamz.