Giga's 1.11 Ladder Hammerdin Guide!

HungryHobbit

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Giga's 1.11 Ladder Hammerdin Guide!

and try yourself to get enigma.. I never played hdin unless I get an enigma, if you don't have it sorc/fishymancer is better Imho

Shanksie1337

Diabloii.Net Member

if you haven't already, you could put an Um rune in the Shako and/or the HoZ or swap out the skullders for a Vipermagi (or Um the skullders, but personally i wouldn't).
An Arachnid as Ragnarod mentions will also help, but in the short term if you can't get hold of an arachnid i'd take something like a Credendum as a short term belt whilst you sort your resists out.
Equally swapping out the Seraphs for a Saracens Chance to up your resists might be a good temporary item until you can trade/find a Maras.
Lastly you don't mention a Torch, if you don't have one then get one :p, even if it's not a paladin torch, you will still benefit from the +stats and +res of another class torch. Druid / Necro / Assassin torches are usually dirt cheap and are very useful until you can find/trade for a Pally Torch.
Get maxxed resists (Light, Fire and possibly Cold, Poison isn't as important), keep max block and then worry about mf, a death will seriously mess with your mf efficiency.

The "standard" pally gets lots of resists from a small number of items:
HoZ with Perfect Diamond / Um = 50-72
Maras = 20-30
Anni = 10-20
Torch = 10-20
and ofc the 3 Anya Quests = 30
Maybe an Um rune in the Shako if needed and a few resist all charms to fill whatever gap is needed.

As you level up, i assume you're putting your spare points into Holy Sheild so your defence will get higher every level and for every extra +skill you can get.

Getting an Enigma would probably mean a remake as i assume you've pumped a decent amount into strength already and it won't solve the resist problem. A Hdin is perfectly playable without an Enigma, tho i guess you will want an Enigma eventually but for now i'd say there are certainly more important upgrades for you.

Slipfoot

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks Shanksie,

So I decided to um my HOZ, which adds 74 resist, pretty good and useful actually.

It gave me max resist to fire/cold/poison while light resist is somewere in the 68s..

Now Im after the armor.

Been thinking, Enigma or Fortitude? Hmmm..

Ragnarod

DiabloII.Net Pal

Enigma all the way, the ED from Fortitude won't increase your hammer damage, and having teleport will make your life much easier.

Slipfoot

Diabloii.Net Member

Ragnarod, Enigma it is.

Finally got myself 3os Archon, and made Enigma. Wow its much better now, less dmg taken from enemies and more damage. :)

Thanks for all the advise guys.

-Slip

Hammerdinothree

Diabloii.Net Member

Hey Ragnarod thank you so much you rock!!! so im hunting down the expansion pack and im wondering if theres anything i should do before i upgrade to the exp pack and latest patch (when i FIND an exp pack im gunna update to the latest patch as well ) so because im still playing single player should i do anything in 1.03 that would be quicker/cheaper then the latest exp pack version? like do i get more exp? easier drops? thank you for the awesome replys, in other words, any glitches or anything i can take advantage of in single player?

Ragnarod

DiabloII.Net Pal

Hey Ragnarod thank you so much you rock!!! so im hunting down the expansion pack and im wondering if theres anything i should do before i upgrade to the exp pack and latest patch (when i FIND an exp pack im gunna update to the latest patch as well ) so because im still playing single player should i do anything in 1.03 that would be quicker/cheaper then the latest exp pack version? like do i get more exp? easier drops? thank you for the awesome replys, in other words, any glitches or anything i can take advantage of in single player?
If there's one item that was easier to get in 1.03 than now it's the Stone of Jordan (SoJ, a unique ring), you should try gambling one or two if you can before you convert to expansion, they'll come handy. For most of the other equipment slots there are better options available in the expansion (no exceptional uniques or elite items in classic), so they won't be that useful, except if you manage to find some great rare boots/gloves perhaps (str/dex and resistances would be nice, besides fast run walk in boots). Don't worry too much if you don't manage to find a SoJ though, they're nice to have but you'll do just fine without them too :)

And whenever you get the latest patch, you might be interested in checking out the Single Player Forum in this site, they've got plenty of useful stuff there that might come handy (especially muling utilities to save your items without the hassle of making mules) and they're quite nice too. Glad I could help!

Ragnarod

DiabloII.Net Pal

Ragnarod which merchant would be best for gambles?
It doesn't really matter, which items you can gamble depend on your character level, so they're the same for all vendors and all difficulties. Before 1.07 I would suggest Gheed in act 1, because to refresh the gambling screen it was necessary to exit town, and it's easy to get a map in which the exit to the rogue's hovel is near him, but in later patches you can pick the one you like most :)

Hammerdinothree

Diabloii.Net Member

If there's one item that was easier to get in 1.03 than now it's the Stone of Jordan (SoJ, a unique ring), you should try gambling one or two if you can before you convert to expansion, they'll come handy.
okay so in other words, get a manald and nagel ring to get SoJs??? because once i have both of those if i get a unique ring drop/gamble it will be an SoJ? and what if i had all 3 rings and a unique one dropped? because i know with my pallys current MF when i kill the normal cow king he has a VERY good chance of dropping unique rings. is this SOJ trink only for hell? im at lvl 35 in act 2 hell

do you have any idea of a quicker way to lvl without hacking? i get little exp from NM cows but i fidn them the fastest to kill become they come in melee only packs. also where should i be at lvl 35? hells pretty hard for me

Ragnarod

DiabloII.Net Pal

okay so in other words, get a manald and nagel ring to get SoJs??? because once i have both of those if i get a unique ring drop/gamble it will be an SoJ? and what if i had all 3 rings and a unique one dropped? because i know with my pallys current MF when i kill the normal cow king he has a VERY good chance of dropping unique rings. is this SOJ trink only for hell? im at lvl 35 in act 2 hell
That's right, the first unique ring you find will be a Nagel and the second a Manald, after that the next one will be a SoJ. It can drop in any difficulty, unique items had no minimum required ilvl in 1.03. If the game rolls a unique ring and the three of them are already in the game it'll drop a rare ring instead, same as when there's no unique version of the item (the rare would get 3x durability, but since rings don't have durability there would be no way to distinguish them from regular rares).

do you have any idea of a quicker way to lvl without hacking? i get little exp from NM cows but i fidn them the fastest to kill become they come in melee only packs. also where should i be at lvl 35? hells pretty hard for me
Hmm, that's hard to say... cows aren't too good for exp in 1.03, the best exp is in late act 3 and act 4, there's better exp there in NM than in acts 1/2 of hell. At that level perhaps I'd suggest clearing the first areas of NM act 4 (the Plains of Despair? can't remember the name atm) a few times, or the River of Flame if there aren't Abyss Knights. The leveling will be slow anyways, since there's no way to increase the number of players in the game, so be patient!

Hammerdinothree

Diabloii.Net Member

alright i've got my manald and my nagel, the NM cow king is dropping good uniques for me, 3 kills 2 high defense unique armors xD. my weapon isnt so great here tell me if my gear is any decent for my level:
The face of horror
Goldskin
Goldwrap
Frostburn
Culwen's point
Nagelring
rare boots, 2nd rare ring with decent resist, and a 20% resist all ammy, and a high def shield.

i'm at 100str 45dex 407 life

im about to head to bookmans to find the exp and ill update soon, any idea where to lvl quickly in the exp not patched?

since i have my manald and my nagel, how can i get 2 SoJ's without making the 4th unique ring dropped being a rare? i dont know how to mule in single player

you kickass!!!

Ragnarod

DiabloII.Net Pal

You're doing alright, lots of unique items there! Back then I liked to use a Tarnhelm (for the +1 skills and MF, it's easily gambled) and a Nightsmoke (some resistances, and the damage to mana mod helps).

You can't get 2 SoJs without being able to mule, I'm afraid. There are muling utilities in the Single Player forum for the latest patches, but none for classic... the only thing I can think of is creating another Windows user account, run an instance of the game in each user account and join a TCP/IP game with yourself (using two different characters, of course). It's cumbersome, but it should work, give it a try!

As for the expansion... the version you'll get will be 1.07, the /players command is also unavailable so exp will be hard to come by too, besides that Blessed Hammer was nerfed (and it stayed that way until 1.10, when it was made great again). Couldn't you download the latest patch in that computer and take it home, in a pen drive or something? The patches can be downloaded from Blizzard, here is the link.

If you're stuck with 1.07, check the 1.07 posts in the SPF forum (in this post), it's a long read but there's a lot of useful info there. And good luck!

Driver

Diabloii.Net Member

humm why soj over a bk ring? if you already say that insigth in a mercy gives infinite mana, why get a stone of jordan over a bk?? The bk life bonus is a very nice and better than the stone of jordan mana rigth...?

Ragnarod

DiabloII.Net Pal

humm why soj over a bk ring? if you already say that insigth in a mercy gives infinite mana, why get a stone of jordan over a bk?? The bk life bonus is a very nice and better than the stone of jordan mana rigth...?
I tend to agree with this, the extra mana from SoJ is useful when your merc dies perhaps, but you can do without it and you can never have enough life... both are good choices anyways, the most important thing is the +1 skills for added damage.

Sneakydoug

Diabloii.Net Member

Great guide! this will be very helpful when I create my hammerdin. Also a quick question ( open to anyone) How expensive will the gear you recommend be? IE numer of HR/ P Gems/ etc.....

Ragnarod

DiabloII.Net Pal

Great guide! this will be very helpful when I create my hammerdin. Also a quick question ( open to anyone) How expensive will the gear you recommend be? IE numer of HR/ P Gems/ etc.....
That depends a lot on which realm you're on, whether you're ladder or non-ladder... That's why it's not generally included in guides, check the corresponding trade value forum for more info :)

Sneakydoug

Diabloii.Net Member

That depends a lot on which realm you're on, whether you're ladder or non-ladder... That's why it's not generally included in guides, check the corresponding trade value forum for more info :)
Alright, thanks for the help

mattstsar

Diabloii.Net Member

Im planning on following this guide, altho ive read other guides which say early level BH is a must?? you say level last?
Ill be pretty much leveling with a mate of mine who is a amazon..
How gear dependent is this build? I currently have no items and will only be getting items from drops as i havent played d2 in years...
Of course if anyone wants to help with items im on us west :p

Ragnarod

DiabloII.Net Pal

Personally I prefer putting some points in BH and Conc early on, maxing Conc first if I'm playing in a party (and for my merc's benefit), alternating points in BH and Vigor and maxing BA last, but every player has different preferences.

Generally speaking putting points in BH early on will result in more damage than points in synergies, since points in BH increase the skill's base damage (which is then multiplied by synergies, and finally by Conc), but it has the drawback of increasing the mana cost of the skill too... I find I don't have many mana problems once I reach level 30 and put a point in Redemption, even while playing untwinked, but if you do then stop putting points in BH and invest in the synergies instead.

In this guide there's a detailed analysis of the skill point distribution for maximum BH damage while levelling up, it takes into account +skills from items you probably won't have but reading it might prove useful nonetheless.