Giga's 1.11 Ladder Hammerdin Guide!

IIIxGODxIII

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Giga's 1.11 Ladder Hammerdin Guide!

Ok, I'm level 90... just maxed out all required skills... have not touched my attribute points yet. This is not my first H'din, it's just been a few years. Anyways... gear is not an issue, have the enigma, hoto, cta, spirit, perfect maras, arach... etc... But this hammerdin will be mostly used for Magic Finding.

What is the best/most effective and most efficeint gear to use to get the highest amount of effective magic find and still be a beastly hammerdin? I don't want to sacrifice so much FHR/FCR/CTB that it becomes detrimental to my Din.

Also, merc gear is not an issue. Already have Eth Insight, Andy's...etc.

Please list head to toe what you would use for MF.

Uncle_Mike

D2 PvP Moderator

Ok, I'm level 90... just maxed out all required skills... have not touched my attribute points yet. This is not my first H'din, it's just been a few years. Anyways... gear is not an issue, have the enigma, hoto, cta, spirit, perfect maras, arach... etc... But this hammerdin will be mostly used for Magic Finding.

What is the best/most effective and most efficeint gear to use to get the highest amount of effective magic find and still be a beastly hammerdin? I don't want to sacrifice so much FHR/FCR/CTB that it becomes detrimental to my Din.

Also, merc gear is not an issue. Already have Eth Insight, Andy's...etc.

Please list head to toe what you would use for MF.
Are you going for 75 or 125 fcr?

IIIxGODxIII

Diabloii.Net Member

probably just 75... i'm not in much of a hurry to do my runs...lol

Uncle_Mike

D2 PvP Moderator

probably just 75... i'm not in much of a hurry to do my runs...lol
In that case i'd use hoto, arachnid's mesh and trang gloves for FCR and play around with the rest of the gear untill I find my killing speed comfortable.

It would most likely be Shako, War Travelers, Mara's Kaleidoscope, Enigma, 2 fcr stat rings or nagels (if you use fcr rings switch trang gloves for chanceguards for more MF) and Herald of Zakarum.

IIRC I never bothered to have CBF on PvM hammerdins, I never worried about FHR either.

If you're on a budget you could use spirit sword and have all the fhr you need right there, switch in one fcr ring or a 10 fcr amulet then.

Much would change if you had a 20 fcr amulet of course. Just play with it and see what you find comfortable :thumbup:

I'd aim for at least 10k hammer damage. Get max block of course, it's easy with holy shield.

As far as MF is concerned I rarely bothered to have more than around 300 % which is easy to get since enigma alone will give you 90%. Add mf from Shako (at least 50) wartravs (up to 50) nagels (up to 60 on both) or chanceguards (up to 40) and you would be fine. Use Gheeds charm of course.

I'd most likely not use nagels though, all they have is MF on them, Id rather keep a dwarf star and ravenfrost as rings for added safety.

There's a million options out there since whether you like it or not your hammerdin will be a killing machine anyway.

And last but not least: get Cta and some spirit on switch for battle orders :)

nulio

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm going for 75%FCR and 86%FHR (just 48% if I don't get the charms).

I don't have the wizardspike and I prefer to have the highest damage possible.

So I'm using this:

Shako - I really don't like the look of the paladin with a circlet (my excuse, it's really hard to get one)

Que-Hegan’s Wisdom - which I'm going to upgrade (I placed too much strength in the stats, I didn't remember to account the Sandstorm Trek +str and I think that with the +str from the shield I have enough - I have to see if with the spirit shield I would still have enought str to have the +1 skills from the armor)

HotO, Herald of Zakarum, Magefist, Sandstorm Trek, Arachnid Mesh, Mara’s and 2 SoJ

(I have 100%FCR so I don't know if I should replace the gloves or armor) What do you think?

Still don't have to CtA but the spirit shield is ready.

Now I'll spend most of my PGems cubing for some nice skillers :) (with +FHR)

But this build can be really cheap, before I found all this gear with other chars, my Hammerdin was really good and all with self-found gear and some cheap runewords.

APH

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know about use Sandstorm Trek or Waterwalk, you say Sandstorm beacuse of gives strength, dexterity and Faster Hit Recovery... But Sandstorm don't gives dexterity so... What is Best!? :confused:

Shanksie1337

Diabloii.Net Member

It doesn't really matter for pvm, treks do give fhr, str and vita so they're very popular, War Trav's are also good if mf is your thing, waterwalks are also not a bad choice. But for me i'd say
WT's for mf and Treks for general pvm, but it doesn't really matter, for pvm your boot choice isn't going to make or break your hdin.

Slipfoot

Diabloii.Net Member

question for hammerdins..

how do you attack in tight places ie: maggot lair/ catacombs, etc...

I mean hammerdins use blessed hammers as main attack right? but how can you use that in tight places, when you spin those hammers they hit the wall and not the enemy?

so what I would like to know is, what skills/attack you use in these situations..

Thanks,

This would help in the char im building.

Hammerdinothree

Diabloii.Net Member

I played diablo about 5 years ago (hence my name lol)
i started playing randomly i found my old D3 cds recently and i started a hammerdin cuz i had one back in the day xD. im playing on version 1.03 and havent even gotten LOD yet. i cant get internet at home currently so i cant patch :ashamed:. and obviously im playing single player
i have a few questions
i know FCR is faster cast rate, what is FHR? and where do i check both?
how do you determine what your block percentage is currently?
how do syngergys work? when you put points into vigor and blessed aim it passively increases your hammer damage without having the aura on?
is there anything different from 1.03 to the current lod patch concerening pallies that is very important?
is it possible to do /player (1-8) changes in 1.03??
ive currently got 10 pts in conc aura, 10 in hammer and 1 in every pre req
about 5% away from lvl 31 in nightmare act 3
my goals are to kill hell diablo and get decent gear
any tips or help would be awesome thanks
(sorry if im retarded!!! ive been out of the loop for 4 years lol)

Odryn

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not an expert since I've been out for a while aswell, but to give you a quick answer on some questions:

FHR - Faster Hit Recovery: changes the speed on which you recover from the hits you take. the breakpoints should be in the guide (didn't check for it) and you can check your FHR % by summing up your FHR on your gear. same deal for FCR.

Block %: attack a mob and then hover over your Defense stat in your char screen.

synergies: I haven't played 1.03 but I think there are none in 1.03, you can check this for yourself by hovering over blessed hammer. there should be 'receives x% dmg from Blessed Aim' etc. On a sidenote, I think the build's strength is due to the synergies, so I doubt it will be equally as effective without.

1.03=>1.12a: answered in previous question

/players : that command got inroduced in a later patch, I'm certain of that.

I hope this clears most of your questions, tbh if I were you, I'd try getting your hands on the expansion pack and try to find a place to download the latest patch (1.12a, 1.13 hopefully soon). Even though you don't have internet, you can still download the file and install it on your computer with a USB stick

Shanksie1337

Diabloii.Net Member

fhr = faster hit recovery
you can't "check" your fhr or fcr, you just add it up manually from gear

for block %, hover your cursor over your defense value on your character screen

yes, you have synergies understood, tho only hard skill points work for synergies. +skills don't work for synergies - so having a scepter with +vigor will make you vigor faster, but won't increase hammer damage.

is there anything different from 1.03 to the current lod patch concerening pallies that is very important? - not a clue

is it possible to do /player (1-8) changes in 1.03?? - not a clue.

As for tips, imax Blessed Hammer last. You get about the about same increase to hammer damage from a point in a synergy as you do by a point in BH, but points in BH also increases the mana cost.
So the "usual" method is to Max Conc, then BA+Vigor and then BH, getting the 1 point wonders - redemption & salvation at or around lvl 30 and then putting the remaining points into Holy Shield.
Which reminds me i've read somewhere about a "change to holy shield" but i've not a clue what the change was, or when it happened.

As for other tips, get a drink, sit back and read the guides, there is one a sticky or 2 below this, tho i've not a clue what changes have happened between 1.03 and 1.12 :s.

and :welcome: to the forums

Hammerdinothree

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the reply. its kinda funny playing this old version after being used to doing baal runs and etc. its still pretty fun but i hate the lvling speed. i hate act 3 and the little midgets with the knives. i just wanna get into hell and MF for fun lol Baal should be more entertaining... ill have to figure somethings out until i get the xpac

i dont thing i'll have to worry to much about FCR and FHR at level 31 in all yellow gear

Slipfoot

Diabloii.Net Member

Can anyone help.

I have hammerdin lvl 87 atm. Maxed all the skills that a hammer should have except Holy Shield, its at lvl 17 right now. Now I know hammerdins have low defense rating, my question is how do you get a good defense in order for enemies not to hit you. I have 75% blocking and I still get hit. :p Any inputs/help/advise would be appreciated. Its kinda hard especially in hell doing baal runs where there are lots of immune enemies and they do really good damage. I have a lvl 90 barb and pretty much can take the beating without having to use pots.

HungryHobbit

Diabloii.Net Member

^
1) put rest points in holy shield
2) i suppose you have enigma? its +17(?) life after each kill
3)use redemption when there are a lot of corpses (and not) amazing skill
4)i dont know just spam more hammers it causes monsters to hit recover and stop damaging you
and max resis ofcourse

Shanksie1337

Diabloii.Net Member

75% chance to block is perfect, dont bother worry about defence (hdins do not have low defence for PvM, anything above 10k is more than fine (maybe it's your resists?)).
Doing a Baal run there should be zero immunes, any magic immune demons or undead will still take damage from BH (only the Beast Magic Immues are actually immune to BH).

Again i'm thinking you don't have max resists, as everything else (block & defense) is fine. Please list all your gear & relevant charms.

Slipfoot

Diabloii.Net Member

Shanksie, My def with Holy shield on is around 7700. Holy shield is at level 21(im not sure the base cause Im using + skills) my equipments: shako, hoto, hoz, tgos, treks, skullders, mage fist, seraphs hymn,2 10%fcr rings with some stats like resists and dex,str, etc...
2 off gcs, anni, gheeds, 4 x 5% fhr scs.

my resist (in hell) as follows: 53/30/40/75.

Im using this Hammerdin for MFing.

Also could someone explain the fcr break points. In the first page of Giga's guide (which is this hehe) it says something about the only breakpoint you must hit is either 75% or 125%. I dont get it, does that mean if your lower than 75%, you cast slow? what if its between 75 and 125, say around 80% fcr, which is what my hammerdin is currently at. Is that good?

Sorry for all these questions, this is my first hammer. hehe

Thanks

Ragnarod

DiabloII.Net Pal

how do you determine what your block percentage is currently?
how do syngergys work? when you put points into vigor and blessed aim it passively increases your hammer damage without having the aura on?
is there anything different from 1.03 to the current lod patch concerening pallies that is very important?
is it possible to do /player (1-8) changes in 1.03??
ive currently got 10 pts in conc aura, 10 in hammer and 1 in every pre req
about 5% away from lvl 31 in nightmare act 3
my goals are to kill hell diablo and get decent gear
any tips or help would be awesome thanks
(sorry if im retarded!!! ive been out of the loop for 4 years lol)
In 1.03 there were no synergies, so you don't have to worry about them. No players x command, as Odryn said, it was introduced in 1.09.

About differences between 1.03 and 1.12, well, there are quite a few! Blocking doesn't depend on dexterity, your block % is the number displayed in your shield. There are only normal and exceptional items, and only normal items have unique and set versions (and sets are mostly useless, since there aren't any partial set bonuses). The chances of gambling uniques are much improved (it's 3%), uniques don't have level requirements and can be gambled at any level.

For rings and amulets, uniques always spawn in the same order, and they won't spawn if there's already one in the game: if you're carrying around a Nagel and a Manald and you find/gamble a unique ring it'll always be a SoJ, and if you're carrying a Nokozan and find/gamble a unique amulet it'll always be an Eye of Etlich.

Rares are potentially the best items available, and act IV is the best place to have them drop, since every unique there has a 12.5% of dropping a rare item regardless of your MF (which, btw, wasn't as useful as it is in later patches). Act bosses always dropped one unique (if possible) the first time you killed them, and mostly crap (all magical items) afterwards, which made +2 amulets really though to get (only Diablo, at lvl 90, could drop them). Besides Diablo you could gamble them if you were lvl 86+ (good luck with that!) or using a cube recipe: 6 perfect skulls + rare item rerolled the rare item, with ilvl 99 (and thus able to get any affix). Bad news is that flawless gems didn't drop in classic, cube skulls to flawless and be on the look for gem shrines...

That's the most important stuff I remember right now, hope it helps!

Ragnarod

DiabloII.Net Pal

Also could someone explain the fcr break points. In the first page of Giga's guide (which is this hehe) it says something about the only breakpoint you must hit is either 75% or 125%. I dont get it, does that mean if your lower than 75%, you cast slow? what if its between 75 and 125, say around 80% fcr, which is what my hammerdin is currently at. Is that good?

Sorry for all these questions, this is my first hammer. hehe

Thanks
Getting resistances to 75 will help your survivability for sure, I'd try to get at least lightning and fire resistances to 75 (and perhaps cold, depending on which areas you do MF in).

About FCR, the casting speed is the same between two different breakpoints. For example, between 75% and 124% fcr your casting speed is the same (so having 80% or 120% fcr doesn't make any difference), but once you reach 125% fcr you'll be casting one frame faster. What the guide means is that you should try to reach at least 75% fcr, yours is ok at 80% so don't worry about it.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you with your gear, it would be good if you could get an Arachnid Mesh (since Tgods isn't doing much for you with 40 light res, this would allow you to change either your rings or Magefist) and perhaps a Mara to help with the resistances, you could get some res charms... either that or consider using a Wizardspike instead of HotO, less damage but I think it'll be safer in the long run.

Slipfoot

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the reply Ragnarod. I'll see if I can get myself some of those resist charms and fcr with + resist all rings.