Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gifs on desktop

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Soulstones, May 21, 2008.

1. Soulstones

Soulstones IncGamers Member

Gifs on desktop

Trying to figure out how i get an animated gif on my desktop, i remember doing it years ago , but forgot and cant figure out how.

help

2. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Re: Gifs on desktop

It was called active desktop in Windows 98.

Edit: Found it in Win XP (Pro): Display Properties -> Desktop -> Customize Desktop ... -> Web tab ->Add a "web page".

Images work. I've got the Jack Thompson (getting murdered) buddy icon running on my desktop. It also somehow changed the background color for my desktop icons. That may require a System Restore to fix. *sigh* Edit 2: Yay, that fixed itself.

3. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

I just tried it with an animated gif in XP, worked fine. You'll probably want it centered rather than stretched or tiled, but otherwise there was no problem. What happens when you try?

4. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

He's referring to additional moveable images on top of the background image.

Of course setting your desktop image to blueballmachine.gif is never a poor choice. :grin:

5. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

man that would be really annoying unless it was something really backgroundy, like the matrix or clouds blowing by. if it was anything attention grabbing, it would bug me.

of course, on this laptop, I never look at the desktop anyway. if I had a high enough resolution, and a big enough screen, (like when we get the TV's box up and running), I could totally see that.

6. Soulstones

Soulstones IncGamers Member

ok so i firgured it out
    it was in the web tab , didnt look at the tab indepth before

anyway the gif seems to "lag" for some reason
    , dunno why its just choppy, my comp is pretty powerful so i dunno why it does this

also adding the image seemed to screw up the icons on my desktop a lil bit

any ideas?

edit: the gif is a bit over 4mb ... fairly sizable for a gif image

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Windows doesn't really like animations on the desktop, it wants bitmaps. The animation is probably choppy because the background is rated very low in terms of processor time because it rarely changes and shouldn't require it, unlike animated media like gifs which require a lot of CPU time comparatively.

I have no idea about the icon thing, but it sounds like it has something to do with having active desktop enabled.

8. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

As in "on" and not "completely made of" then, I guess? (Edit: There were many replies while I typed this response)

I remember just right clicking one and selecting "use as desktop" before. It was over a minute long, several megs, and tiled dozens of times. It slowed the computer to the speed of an old turtle fighting against a river current with a weight on its back.

9. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

I'm not exactly sure why, but turning on a "desktop webpage" seems to make the background color for icons' text display when it normally (normal as in the usual for my rather customized system) doesn't.

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I'm not entirely sure, but the desktop is one of the lowest priority threads in Windows normally, I don't know if they change it at all when you enable active desktop. . .but I doubt they do because it isn't really meant for doing animations, it was a deprecated technology almost from the beginning.

11. Arokthis

Arokthis IncGamers Member

You're a schmuck. Now many of us are going to spend untold hours trying to figure out where each ball starts and ends. :grin:

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Yeah, that sort of thing is slow as ****, even if you aren't doing anything. Anyone remember animated icons? That lasted all of five seconds.

My guess is the same as KOW's, Windows doesn't prioritise background refreshes. As far as I can tell Active Desktop does nothing, it used to let you use JPG instead of just BMP in 98, and it caused irritating refresh issues during bootup, that was about it.

13. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

It was meant to do a lot of cool things actually and if you know HTML you can add search bars without much problem. Active Desktop was meant to be the portal for a slew of neat features and Microsoft scrapped it because it was going to eat in 98's sales and it wasn't really taking off anyway. It has always been a resource hog and inefficient, they may not have changed the code from when it was first released.

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

So that's what that was all about.

I was dimly aware it was supposed to be able to have "web content" but yeah, it was kind of eclipsed by all the suck.