Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ghost assassin guide

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Zangeif, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Zangeif

Zangeif IncGamers Member

Ghost assassin guide

IF YOU HAVE A MORAL ISSUE WITH DUPES PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS GUIDE

This guide will cover the basic gear/stats of the ghost assassin build. I’m writing this from work so the editing and formatting won’t be incredible. I may edit it in the future.

The ghost assassin is a build that people associate with Kodachi, or Koda- a well known ww assassin on USEast. I thought I should give him credit for popularizing the build and proving that it is extremely effective, although the principles behind the ghost (65 fcr, enigma, and fast trap laying) had been used by others before he made this build famous.

The ghost assassin is a variant of a whirlwind assassin, although nowdays it has become the standard build of top players on USEast. This build is made for pvp exclusively, and is very versatile. The basic principle behind the ghost build is the use of speed and mobility rather than pure damage. Whirlwind assassins are thought of as caster killers, but the truth is, a good caster will consistently beat a ww assassin who uses bramble, suwayyahs, and has little or no fcr. Dflight takes 24 frames to land, which is too slow to catch a fast teleporting caster. Suwayyahs will not hit the fastest trap laying speed, which means stunlock will be harder to establish, and without decent fcr, your mindblasts will be too slow. The ghost assassin is geared towards fighting casters, but the great thing about it is that it can also handle almost all melee classes easily as well. Whirlwind is just a superior skill to any other melee skill, so even without bramble and suwayyahs, most melee should be very easy to beat.

Here is the equipment of the ghost build. This is for Non-Ladder.

Helm: 1.08 Valk. This is considered the staple of the ghost build. The fcr lets you hit the 65 breakpoint. The frw lets you escape bone spirits if you are slowed by clay golem. Fhr is always great. The ias lets you lay traps at the fastest trap laying speed. - Shael

Alternative helm: While a .08 valk is considered the staple of this build, a godly circlet could be better, although it would be incredibly hard to find. For example, a circlet with +2 assassin skills, 20%fcr AR% on character level and 2 sockets would be a better choice than a .08 valk. You could socket it with 2 x 15ias/15res all jewels to still make sure you hit the fastest trap laying speed.

Alternate helm #2: Shako. This helm should be kept in the stash, and only worn vs melee when you do not need fcr.

Claw: Fury Feral claws.

Claw: Chaos Runic Talons.

These claws let you hit the fastest trap laying speed. For those of you who think that the extra damage from Suwayyahs is more important than laying traps faster, I can confidently say that you are mistaken. However, Suwayyahs can be kept in the stash for use against melee when you will not be trying to establish stunlock.

Skills to look for on claws:
    Venom/Fade – If prebuff isn’t allowed or you don’t like spending the time to do it.
    Mindblast – Most important skill for a ghost. You will be doing a lot of damage with this.
    Dflight/WoF/LS – Saves you skill points since you don’t need the prereqs
    Weapon block – Saves you points

Armor: Enigma. This is the only armor you should use with this build. Enigma allows you to go base strength therefore giving you higher life, and of course allows you to teleport, which is essential to winning duels in 1.10. While it would be nice to have a bramble to switch to vs. melee, it’s not worth investing the extra str into your assassin just to wear an armor against classes that you can already beat without it.

Amulet: USEast - Stormhide duped amulet. Other servers without good duped assassin amulet use Maras.

Amulet #2 – Angelic vs melee

Belt: Arachnids. Lets you hit the 65 fcr breakpoint

Belt #2: Verdungos. Use this vs melee when you do not need to stunlock for the DR and extra life.

Gloves: Trangs gloves for the fcr and extra poison damage.

Boots: Soul Shanks on USEast, or similar duped stat/resist boots for your realm.

Boots #2: Waterwalks vs. melee since you will not need the resists.

Rings: Depends on the matchup. I would suggest building your ghost so that he does not need any stats from rings to wear gear. This lets you switch between Ravens, Wisps, Dwarfstars, and Angelics when needed. Against melee, use 1 angelic, 1 raven and angelic amulet. With the 20 dex from the raven, you will still be able to equip your claws despite losing the dex from Storm Hide.

6BO CTA/Lidless or Sigons on switch for BO.

Charms: 7 x Shadow skillers with life, 3 x with fhr. Anni, and combination of 32020s, 70/15s (USEast) and 20/5s to your liking.

Other things you can keep in stash.

Prebuff:Low str Bramble, +3 shadow claws, socketed with poison facets for prebuff. +3 venom or fade is an added bonus. +3 shadow helm with 2 x poison facets.

Tgods/Hotspurs.

Stats:

0 str
    0 energy
    Dex for claws
    Rest into Vitality

Skills:

Max claw mastery
    Max venom
    Max mindblast
    Fade – level 35 with gear/prebuff gear
    Weapon block – level 26 with gear
    1 LS
    1 WoF
    1 Dflight
    Rest into Shadow Master.

I will add the class specific dueling techniques later.

2. Phil

Phil IncGamers Member

Although the guide is relatively well written there are a few major flaws that I can see.

1) Regardless of peoples moral issues with dupes, you are suggesting that these dupes, which are banned for trade on these forums for a reason, are exactly what the people who are using these forums should be using. Thats just bad form if you ask me, not to mention a little surprising considering I am sure that you know the rules against this type of post.

2) Related to the use of dupes, you suggest that these dupes are the be all and end all of the items that these people should be using, and then explain a very minimum of what they might use if infact they do "have a moral issue with dupes" as most people on these forums do.

The idea of the guide is good, however the fact that as far as I can see, dupes are the only thing keeping this build alive, I am very disappointed that someone would go so far as to write a guide based on dupes.

bad form my friend. bad form.
    phil

edit: I forgot to mention a few things specifically about the build.
    - Many duelers see it as BM to use mercs/shadow master/valk/etc. and therefore considering this is PvP I don't see the need for too many points in SM. If you use it for leveling, all that is really required is lvl 17 with +skills, and the extra points that are spent there could definately be used somewhere else.
    - I also dont think that there is a need to spend so many points in MB. Its a great dueling skill obviously, but it is effective from lvl 1-20 and therefore just like with SM I think that the points can be placed elsewhere to shore up any weak points that someone might have.

3. Zangeif

Zangeif IncGamers Member

Thats why I told you to stop reading with my first sentence. It's not my fault you didn't listen.

No, I told them to stop reading if they have moral issues with dupes.

Theres plenty of ghosts on ladder as well which do just fine without dupes. 2/20/xx circlet, fcr amulet or ring and you still hit 65 fcr. You lose out on some resists from the boots but it's not a big deal.

Now to address your concerns about the build:

-No one considers shadow masters BM on USEast NL. Mercs however are BM which is why I did not advocate using one. This isn't my personal opinion, it is the general consensus of my server. I would be surprised if it were different on other servers.

-MB is the single most important skill in a WW assassins arsenal. In high end dueling some duels will be won exclusively with mindblast (sin vs hammerdin). Yes, your mindblast will do 100% of the damage. When I get around to posting the class specific dueling strategies it will be clear why MB needs to be maxed. Where would you rather spend the points anyway?

4. Darkwell

Darkwell IncGamers Member

Perhaps a guide about them would be more useful.

5. Mr.Grimmy

Mr.Grimmy IncGamers Member

I am just curious how well this build does when prebuffing is not allowed? I do a bit of dueling where it is considered BM to prebuff like mad, slap on cta/xx and then go bo, then duel. Seems that this build maybe be awesome where this is allowed, but relies a little heavily on stacking up all the possible buffs in town.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to flame you, and I think that writing guides is very important. But I do question a guide that is so heavily reliant on duped items. Seems that by making playing a dupe dependant char seem attractive it is promoting the act of duping itself.

Could you perhaps write up a similar guide designed for those of us who refuse to used duped items?

6. Zangeif

Zangeif IncGamers Member

It does fine without prebuffing from stash. In fact, on USEast prebuff among top ww assassins is considered BM by many, which is why +3 venom claws are worth so much. I assume it would do fine without cta as well assuming the other player also does not use cta.

Heres the guide for a non dupe using ghost:

Replace storm hide with maras
    Replace soul shanks with legit resist boots
    Replace 3/20/20s with 3/xx/xx

Theres your legit guide, enjoy.

7. Darkwell

Kinda short for a guide.

In truth, you should have just written the guide with these replacements to begin with. Reading about this dupe and that dupe I kinda lost track of what the guides purpose was and fixed on the using dupes part. It's a much better guide with the replacements.

Here's another guide to compare:

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=556

Unfortunately, tl998, the author, was banned at the SP forum, for using duped items in MP games.

8. Zangeif

Zangeif IncGamers Member

I'm sorry that 3 dupes distracted you to the point of incomprehension. I assumed competent people could figure out these 3 replacements on their own. Actually, I already listed Mara's as the alternative, so you really only had to figure out 2 replacements.

The rest of the guide is the same, why would it be different?

DANGIT NALI YOU WERE RIGHT ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO WRITE A GHOST GUIDE ON THIS SITE. :mad:

9. Neuroff

Neuroff IncGamers Member

Wow, he told you not to read it, so DON'T.

10. Darkwell

I guess Phil and Mr.Grimmy got distracted too. Having looked at tl998's Ghost guide just yesterday, it is hard for me not to notice distracting features in your guide. My criticism was meant to be beneficial and not a flame.

11. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

Technically, there is nothing against the rules in Zangeif's post(...However, the morality of using these programs is sometimes discussed and we allow these [within reason], unless it violates any other rule... - by extension, dupes fall under this area).

Just a reminder to people here: please keep comments constructive. If you have a problem with the dupes, you are free to debate the merits of legit alternatives, but remember to keep it on-topic and off personal insults and flames.

Zangeif: Well, don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

12. Amiral

Amiral IncGamers Member

well, anyway, most things can be made up by somethings... so where's the part about the duels themselves?

13. Zangeif

Zangeif IncGamers Member

Thats that hard part to write, I'll get around to it soon though I think.

14. SpOOkeD

SpOOkeD Banned

15. SpOOkeD

SpOOkeD Banned

|- The Ghost - WW asn guide v2.0 -|
    ----------------------------------

I. -Introduction
    II. -Equipment
    III. -Stat points
    IV. -Skills
    V. -Charms
    VI. -Strategy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I.
    Hello, my name is koda, and the information I am about to give you will put you on your first step to make a Ghost Whirlwind Assassin.

This guide is meant for public and private duels against some of today's most common characters, and if you follow the guide exactly, you should be outside of town guarding the bodies of your foes in seconds.

This build utilizes some of the untapped potential most other ww assassins overlook, including teleport, faster cast rate, and stacked resists without changing gear.

::Note::
    This Assassin is VERY expensive to make and is NOT for beginner assassins.
    If you cannot afford it, that is simply to bad, I highly recomend before making a Ghost that you play a trapper and a basic ww sin so you have the feel of how this assassin works.

II.
    You will need this gear or the replacements. You can try your own setups if you wish, but it may not work as well.

Non-Ladder Setup
    Claw 1:
    Fury Feral Claws- +3 Venom

Claw 2:
    Chaos Runic Talons- +3 Venom
    (if you cannot get +3 venom on each claw, then it is usually better to just use +3 mb/+3 weapon block claws, or claws with +1 DF/LS to save points.)

Armor:
    Enigma- No nats, no bramble, no fortitude. This is the only armor suitable for this build, remember to get a low str version.

Helm:
    .08 Valkrye Helm- 30 fcr, 30 runwalk, 30 ias, 30 fhr. The staple of the Ghost, this helm
    combined with arachnid allows you to reach the 65 fcr breakpoint, grants enough runwalk to escape Bone spirits when
    golem slowed, gives you fhr needed to escape mb lock, and let's you cast traps at the maximum cast speed while in fade mode.

Ammulet:
    Storm Hide duped assassin ammulet- 2 assassin skills 20 str 17 dex 50+ life and mana and 23 all resists.

Maras- Use this if Storm Hide is unavailable

Gloves:
    Trang's Gloves

Belts:
    Arachnid Mesh- 20 fcr.. use this in conjunction to .08 Valk for 70 fcr.

Thunder Gods- +10 max light resists and 20 lightning absorb. Always use against trap assassins, and when needed against Lightning sorceress.
    When using tgods it is recomended to use a 2 asn 15+ fcr ammy, or just a 20 fcr ammy)

Rings:
    Dual perfect Ravenfrost rings- AR, Dex, cold absorb.

Boots:
    Soul Shanks- about 50 to all resists except poison. More stacked resists the better against facets and anya bug.

Hotspurs- Most fire sorcs are easy, but if you encounter one that's skill surpasses yours, use these to gain an edge.

II.
    You will need this gear or the replacements. You can try your own setups if you wish, but it may not work as well.

Ladder Setup
    Claw 1:
    Fury Runic Talons- +3 Venom

Claw 2:
    Chaos Runic Talons- +3 Venom
    (if you cannot get +3 venom on each claw, then it is usually better to just use +3 mb/+3 weapon block claws, or claws with +1 DF/LS to save points.

Armor:
    Enigma- No nats, no bramble, no fortitude. This is the only armor suitable for this build, remember to get a low str version.

Helm:
    2/30/15 Crown Of Ages- socketed with 15 ias/15 resist jewel and a 15 resists/-15 req jewel (VERY EXPENSIVE)

kiras- 15 ias/15 resists jewel. Poor mans ladder helm if you cannot afford the coa.

Ammulet:
    Crafted Ammulet- 2 assassin 20 fcr ammulet. Resists and +mods are just icing on the cake

Gloves:
    Trang's Gloves

Belts:
    Arachnid Mesh- 20 fcr.. use this in conjunction to .08 Valk for 70 fcr.

Thunder Gods- +10 max light resists and 20 lightning absorb. Always use against trap assassins, and when needed against Lightning sorceress.
    (only use this vs. trapsins, you will only have 50 fcr with this setup on ladder)

Rings:
    1x perfect Ravenfrost- AR, Dex, cold absorb.
    1x fcr ring with +str/dex and mana/resists

Boots:
    Rare boots- +35 fire and light resists and 30 frw, if you can find it, get boots with +30 fire/cold/light resists and 30 frw.

Hotspurs- Most fire sorcs are easy, but if you encounter one that's skill surpasses yours, use these to gain an edge.

Treks- Use vs. other ww sins or poison necros

III.
    Stats

Strength: You should have BASE strength with the NL guide. For the ladder guide, use enough str for 148 with all equipment if you use coa, or base str if you use kiras. If you have a good fcr ring you can get away with 5-10 into str.

Dexterity: For NL You need 115 dex with all equipment changes here. Assumuming you have a 20 stat anni, you will want 48 dexterity naked. Annihulus boosts it to 68, and ravenfrosts 108. Stormhide boosts it up to 125, and soul shenks to 142. With this much dex, I can switch to 1x angelic ring/ammy, my fcr ammy, or hotspurs.
    For L you need 115 dex as well, but since there are not as many equipment changes available, just add up your dex to reach 115 with your 70 fcr setup on. I have 61 dexterity on my ladder Ghost.

Vitality: EVERYTHING else. With 70 fcr on I hit 480 vitality.

IV.
    Skills. Follow these skill points as close to possible

Claw mastery-20
    Venom-20
    Mind Blast-20
    Fade-16+
    Claw block-10-12
    Wake of fire-1
    Lightning sentry-1
    Dragon flight-1
    Shadow Master-1

V.
    Charms.
    Use 10 shadow Discipline Grand Charms with 30+ life.
    Anni with 18+ resist.
    on East NL use 2+ 15/70's, with the rest of your charms being 20/5's
    On all other realms, find a happy medium with 20 life/17 mana sc's and 20/5 res sc's. (or charms with close mods)
    You want roughly +50 to max resists for all elements except poison after anya.

16. SpOOkeD

SpOOkeD Banned

VI.
    Strategy.
    I will go in depth on how to duel each common dueler.

Hotkeys I use, feel free to try your own:
    f1-Venom
    f2-Fade
    f3-Shadow Master
    f4-WW
    f5-Dragon Flight
    f6-wake of fire
    f7-lightning sentry
    f8-mind blast
    f9-teleport
    f10-Battle Orders
    f11-Battle Command

::note::
    ALWAYS recast shadow master when it dies.
    You never want to be teleporting without shadow master on top of you. I cannot stress the importance.

Amazon-

Bow: Cast shadow master and teleport zig zag to the ama, dodging arrows and preventing a guided to lock.
    When ama is on your screen, click her name for teleport and pull a short ww... Chances are she will dodge and circle you for a few shots.
    If she is on screen, dragon flight/ww her, but if she is running off screen, namelock her with MB, lay one Lightning Sentry and tele/ww her.
    Most Bowazons get dropped to 1 life after one hit, so after she takes dmg, follow up with a MB until she dies.

Charged Strike: You may need t-gods for this duel, depending on how strong her lightning is. The crappy ama's you can usually just tank with triangle ww, but against skilled ones you may need to stun them. To do this, teleport a little offscreen, set wake of fire inbetween you and her,and MB her when she is in the center of the traps. She will be stunned so give her a few short ww's... 3 or 4 should prove sufficent.

Assassin

Trapper: Usually a hard duel for both parties. Most trappers nowadays lack the skill to lock enemies so they resort to setting traps and running back and forth while the traps hit. This can be annoying, so use a tgods to soften the blow. Also, LS will massively stun your clawblock. Run around the traps, setting traps of your own to try and make the trapper move. Look for an opening, teleport + dragon flight in, short ww thru them. If you see the chance, DoD the trapper and you will inflict massive damage and block/fhr lock. A good trapsin will take over 6 whirls, so be careful. When they have 1 life left, set traps of your own to finish them or tele in and out of mapscreen to get your shadow to mb pk them.

WW sin: If they are bramble and you are enigma, your going to be fighting an uphill battle. Fortunatly Ghost Whirlers have maxed MB and the fcr to back it up. MB does ALOT of damage when spammed, infact there has been a great many times when I have killed bramble sins with MB alone. Usually when I find an opening I MB lock the bramble sin, and mb until they are forced to DF me. When you see them start casting DF, ww down for a few good hits. Try and ww them when they end their ww's, and be sure to use traplock and MB to mess with their ww.

Barbarians

WW Barb: You cannot beat a good ww barb. These guys can definatly outwhirl you, out tank you, and kill you. Just hope the barb your dueling is not very good. In pubbies I just avoid these guys thru quick teleporting and attacking other opponents. in GM you can try to just MB them to death with traps preventing them from teleporting, but it takes forever and is really boring.

Conc barbs: Use angelics and treat these guys like you would other melee. Triangle ww them or ww away.

Druids

Melee: Same as Conc Barbs but angelic isn't needed

Wind: Usually very easy duel. Just always have traps set and be ready to MB, and if you get teleported on, just dod the druid. When spirit dies and OW sets in, druids will lose 1/3 + life from OW alone.

Necromancers

Bone: I used to find these guys VERY hard, but recently I have been doing alot better. Cast shadow master and use BoS then teleport like mad. Dodge the spirits, never stop moving and always recast shadow if she dies. DO NOT try and tank them if they are casting mass bone spirits, they will lock you and you will get hit alot. Only tank if they are spearing or do not have BS traps already setup. Quick teleports and short drive-by ww's are how you win.

Psn: I recomend going defensive due to their poor range. surround yourself with 3 LS and 2 WoF traps, and the moment he comes in to psn nova you, MB him. You will be taking a psn nova, but you will also traplock him. ww 2-3 times and you should win. If this does not work, pursue with drive by ww techniques.

Paladins

Zealots: triangle ww, treat them as conc barbs or druids. Only the godliest will defeat you. Before duel use enchant and equip 1x angelic ring and ammy.

Smite: Easier than zeal, you can tank these, once again use enchant.

FoH: Very hard duel if they know what they are doing. You will need a kiras helm and maybe wisp. Fortunatly you can block FOH, so you have a decent chance if the paladin is inexpierenced. Just be sure to d flight and ww as often as you can. You cannot traplock charge.

Hammer: This is where max mb comes in handy. First off, use enchant and angelics second off, just MB them, it will do decent damage since most hammerdins have 18 or less DR. If they try and tele-hammer you, just ww away from the hammers and MB more. Can be a long duel but this works.

Sorceress
    Blizzard: Chase them with teleport and dragon flight, If you have trouble hitting them, namelock a MB and follow up with one Lightning sentry, another mb, then WoF traps. Namelock teleport then ww them back and forth.

Orb: Annoying duel depending how the orber is built. Most orbers are very easy, just teleport into an opening and DF them, but against skilled orbers you are going to have a hard time even hitting them. Traps are basically useless against good orbers, this duel is a patience game.

Fireball: Just teleport onscreen and dragon flight them when they fireball you, if you need trouble catching them, try to setup a traplock, but against fb tele/df works easier and faster.

Light: Wear T-gods if needed, and just tank them, fairly easy duel but treat like FB sorc.

17. Zangeif

Zangeif IncGamers Member

That's just Koda's guide copied and pasted from d2jsp.

18. SpOOkeD

SpOOkeD Banned

i am koda o_O
    I am jsut wondering why you want to rewrite basically my whole guide with missing/wrong information.
    For instance why only 7 shadows?
    Your damage is mb/venom.. you want to use 10
    also this contains answers to some questions asked like for char strategies or a ladder version etc.
    I see you are having trouble with the pvm'rs on this forum like I once did :]

19. Phil

Phil IncGamers Member

Nali-

The rule that I was mainly referring to was
    At this point I really couldn't care less about the fact that someone posted about using a duped item, I was standing behind the principle because I am saddened by what I see as the continued degredation of D2 by the hacks, cheats, ebay.... However, after ~5 years of being on the market, its amazing to me that D2 is still supported by Battle.net, so I dont really expect a crackdown or major change in the game until it dies out.

phil

20. Mr.Grimmy

Mr.Grimmy IncGamers Member

O/T, well sort of.

I think you hit the nail on the head Phil. I too am saddened by the way Diablo2 is degenerating into a bunch of frustrated little kids buying chars on ebay for the sole purpose of picking on others. I was in a game the other night with this self proclaimed "godly hammerdin" saying how his gear was worth hundreds of high runes. While he was out nking people someone mentioned the Nithaluk quest so you can personalize items. And this 'godly' guy goes "stfu noob no such thing" As you might imagine from there on the conversation really got lame.
    It seems sad when someone can own arguably the best gear in the game, and have no knowledge about the game itself. Even worse when they are ill mannered.

Ok, I'll get down off my soapbox now, but gogo Phil :thumbsup: