Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

gg battle.net, just charge us cash already if its that bad.. der=0

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Hemaka, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Hemaka

Hemaka IncGamers Member

gg battle.net, just charge us cash already if its that bad..

I am thinking about posting a similar statement on the actual b.net forums, however I'd just like to get some reactions on these statements first, b/c either way i'm probably just another jackass in their eyes whose opinion doesn't matter, even though i'm still one of many who indirectly has contributed in paying their salary over the years.

..but just to get opinions and agreements, I think these temp-bans and restrictions are really getting too far out of hand.. its been 29 hours since i got "restricted" for doing absolutely nothing, and i've contacted those tech support people who act like friggin' robots.

Heres how they proceeded to help me; they confirmed that I was in fact restricted, and that there was nothing I could do but "wait it out". Whats this mean? Pretty much i'm guessing that they probably can help, they choose not to because they're under the impression i'm some sort of compulsive MF'er or botter who can't keep a game open for more than 10 seconds. How steriotypically ignorant is that?

..so well played battle.net, you offer your service for free, because all of the other guys charge people. Unfortunately without the proper budget, qualities begin to degrade, so problems arrise.. not to mention the lack of update abilities to simply PREVENT hackers attempts of taking over.. can't afford the time and money for the proper updating of the program to keep people from cracking the codes.. so heres an idea!!

..lets just BAN people who ALMOST fit the technical DESCRIPTION of somebody who hacks or bots. Perfect. Flawless. Sureley, theres no way that perfectly innocent people will get caught in the middle, because they have either an ISP problem, multiple players in one household (moi), or simply are tired of using the same weapon their chars had since they were in their 40's, so they decide they want to kick mephy's *** a few times over.

Two computers on one IP address, playing for say.. ooh, two hours maximum.. is not going to hog your bandwidth. Hows about.. they set up a limit to how long two sources can be accepted from one IP address, thats longer than FIVE MINUTES? This will still stop botters.. or you know, the occasional re-programming thing would help too and.. oops I forgot, budget. ...damn!

and speaking of five minutes, most people left on D2 are indefinately, diehard fans or players. Why would you go through the trouble of pissing them off? Sure, the server is "free", and there is no money involved.. bnet may not know this, but we do pay.. we pay with our TIME.

If they had no players, who were willing to pay time to play these wonderful games which are being broadcasted on this apparantly second-rate server, fact is fact and principle is still principle, there would in essence be NO server. And you can't HONESTLY tell me that the entire point of battle.net is to put people on these ridiculous powertrips, and abuse the "well you don't pay for it so enjoy what you get" speech.

THE BOTTOM LINE: They make it for US to play on, and in this apparant free-world (and believe me.. the internet has LOTS of freedom, look at all the pr0n!!11), if they have the right to say, do, or regulate whatever they want on "THEIR" server in which we pay with using our dedicated TIME, then we have just as much of a right to stand up to it.. on OUR server, which we're the fuel for........... yes, even if it is.. "FREE". I don't use money and its boundaries to distinguish my morality, and nobody else should for that matter.

These restrictions need to stop, and more serious actions NEED to be taken against these bots and dupes, becuase the fact of the matter is.. they STILL exist at this very moment on battle.net.. and thats why i'm steamed up.. because who doesn't exist on it? Players in this EXACT same restriction situation because of a technicality.. DECENT Players.

...if the money is THAT big of an issue, i'll gladly pay the lavish $5-10. It'd be worth it because Blizzard games are in rank of quality, probably some of the BEST you will ever play. If people aren't willing to pay, they don't have to play then. It works for every other great game, as well as single player for ALL of these b.net games, so why not the rest of these? ...or i'm sorry, is the platform not worth spending that much a month on? Ahh, c'mon! Gaming grew up on PAC-MAN for frig' sake, graphics DO NOT distinguish game play, and above all else, here get ready for this one:

GAME

QUALITY.

2. XchokeholdX

XchokeholdX Banned

Agreed, but I know there are ways to prevent R/D Temp restictions. I use them myself.

I dont know if this works with all Modems out there, but it works 100% fine on mine. as soon as I get a RD/TR, I log of, surf the net for a minute or five (e.g. no connection to blizzard), and then go into my modem and use the "set back to original fabrication settings". wait until modem comes back, reboot pc, and viola, no more RD/TR for me. (I do not use Static IP)

But I do agree, it is annoying as hell, and IMO, unnessecary.

3. Hemaka

Hemaka IncGamers Member

Go into the modem?

If anything, this crap is somehow provoking the botters to do more botting... and unfortunately for all of us, the reliability and response time of a botmaker and his or her (probably his) updates seems to be more solid than the actual bnet updates themselves.. :sad2:

4. BluzMan

BluzMan Banned

Any instituted software measures against hackers/botters will only harm innocent people, period. That's easy to understand because hackers will be first people to get around those restrictions using hook-up software and one-two days of creative thinking. People who don't violate the EULA, on the other hand, are almost helpless against all the ingenious measures taken by Blizzard to stop hacking.

Really, even monthly payment won't help. The engine needs to be 100% rewritten for it to work, so I guess we have nothing to do other than kill the buggers on sight.

Whenever you see a hacker, tear his tongue out and I will smile.

5. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

With all due respect, and I understand the frustration, venting here will not help you.

You have two courses of action:
    1) Complain to Blizzard - and that goes for EVERYONE complaining about this stuff and/or
    2) Don't play on the net

I lost net access this morning and it has been patchy recently. So what do I do? Complain to my ISP - bear in mind I PAY for the service - and investigate an alternative ISP. End of story. One way or another I will win because I will kick and scream and get my own way. When my bank annoyed me I changed credit cards, two accounts and a mortgage. I will not put up with sloppy service.

Your post is obviously well thought out, but it is a shame nothing will come of it while it is posted here. If everyone who has complained about c/i r/d etc etc actually whined at Blizzard rather than on a forum that is not affiliated to them, Blizzard might actually understand the breadth of the problem and the depth of feeling. Or a Boycott Blizzard day. :shocked: Do you think they would wonder why their player numbers has just plummeted?

Look at people who have set up automated "I agree with this statement" mails to companies and governments. "Click here to send this statement to x" would be the flash way of doing it. Or everyone just spend five minutes typing "I am not happy with your service because ..." and email it to Blizzard.

Before you say "I have complained and they don't answer", well that leads you to "don't play on the net", doesn't it? There is a thriving SP Community and unless you are MPing with someone hosting thousands of miles away, the lag is usually very low.

Your choice.

6. Hemaka

Hemaka IncGamers Member

With that point said (and I do agree), I think i'll head on over to post a similar point out to them, even though I will probably only get the ususal "we understand" blah blah

Plus I totally understand where you're coming from, nobody here of all places would have some magic wand to wave to make bnet explode into solution for a change.. but it is nice to know theres others out there who know EXACTLY how you feel.. and community is the best place to start imo to get reactions, advice, and moral support, which is what i'm ultimately after in this whole.. crap pile

and you said it with your ISP/Bank issue, its a service you pay for.. thats what makes this so hard, because money justifies too much.. just my two cents.

and thank you.

7. Hemaka

Hemaka IncGamers Member

I'm going to use this towards my argument when this passes the "traditional 3-day period" in being suspended. Too true..

esp. the hacker thing. Not to mention they have more freetime than every ubergamer combined.

8. BloZ

BloZ IncGamers Member

Alright, in my opinion, you are missing a point.

You don't pay for the Battle.net service. You're actually lucky to have it. However, Blizzard still decides what to do with it. They turn their attention mostly to World of Warcraft, because that's what gives them the most profit, and that's what I would do as well. Diablo II doesn't bring in as much money as it did before. Why do something if it doesn't give you as much in return?

I believe you know this: when you give something to people, they always want more. They gave players a free online service, players complained about hacks. They fixed it, and players complained about botters. Fixed that too, and now players are complaining about lag and temp bans. When will it end?

I'm not saying you are entirely wrong. I am only saying that you should imagine yourself as Blizzard to understand their actions.

9. templecrasher

templecrasher IncGamers Member

I think that is why he suggested that it would be worth paying for DII. I chose DII over WoW (which ALL of my friends play) because I thought I would feel guilty about paying for it if I didn't play all the time (this is my first on-line game BTW, with the exception of Xbox Live). Having played this game for a year now, I believe that it would be worth the monthly payment to play in an unadulterated, lag free environment. Look how many people still play this 7 year old game. There is something that draws us in, even with it's problems. I can only imagine how great it was to play in the days before the heavy duping, but I would be willing to cough up a monthly fee to find out...

10. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

Wow, quite a debate. All I can say is that I've seen A LOT of people complaining about lag / FTJ / CI lately (in several forums), but East has been totally fine.

I even got disconnected from an uber-trist run AND got the "cd-key in use" message, but I managed to log back on right away, finish the level and collect the torch (it sucked, though. :sad2:

Maybe its your computer.

11. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I think my post was unclear. A more succinct way of wording it (and please forgive the terseness) is "Put up or shut up".

Complain TO BLIZZARD or don't play on line. Whether you pay for the game is irrelevent; perhaps I used poor examples. Those are your two options in this scenario. Pick one. It is pointless to discuss whether you would pay for the service; I doubt if Blizzard have the willpower to initiate a pay per play service for this game.

Look at where you are now. Look at your options and pick an EFFECTIVE one.

12. BloZ

BloZ IncGamers Member

You're right that we could pay to have a better service, but I'm afraid many people would stop playing Diablo II then, because it doesn't sell anywhere as much as before, yet it still endures because of Battle.net. Now that we'd have to pay for it...

13. Hemaka

Hemaka IncGamers Member

Forgiven, and forgive me for being such a chatterbox.. :p, I'm willing to put up [to extents], but I never shut up when I know whats right/wrong.. but this isn't about who I am or what I do

Many of us would be willing to do this, because it IS a great game. They'd do the experiment, and let the people try it out, if it goes bust, it goes bust.. I know damn well that blizzard isn't a bankrupt corporation.. another thing, for those still missing the point of money vs. morality..

Customer satisfaction [In ANY case] = "$$$"

reguardless of how many are satisfied or disatisfied, word gets out.

i'd expect a majority of people on both this forum and many other forums like it to support a small fee.. like I said, these things start with community, even if this post just dies and is only seen at the bottom pages (which will happen, but I'm still liking the thoughts/input i'm getting on this)

If if were one guy, marching to the steps of city hall, yelling "YOU SUCK! CUT MY TAXES!", well then comes ol' fuzzy to take out the apparant trash.

I play the game for any reason EXCEPT for the fact that b.net is free.

and a final note, who would we lose a majority of on battle.net? The moneyless, taunting, and potentially annoying 12-year-olds who are probably another reason for ALOT of people who quit these games ages ago.. just another factor that would make a paid for battle.net a whole lot better.. and yes, I am aware.. there are annoying 12-year-olds with mommy's who will write them a check..

I apologize if you're 12-15 and a very mature player (lol), I have seen it alot.

I also understand, a fee will not probably be initiated anytime soon.. remember, its all our two cents, and its always good to discuss things.

14. P-Unit

P-Unit IncGamers Member

ive been restricted for 3 days before.

15. k/t

k/t Banned

School started

or

Cheap booze night

or

YouTube just uploaded a clip of Janet Jackson's other nipple

16. Hemaka

Hemaka IncGamers Member

Mine just past the 3-day point, so according to their pages, I now have the right to ask "whats up?" lol

they'll probably just tell me theirs nothing they can do anyhow.. which is total crap imo, considering its their program, in their database.

17. ubermoose

ubermoose IncGamers Member

Its not like we dont pay either. We get to stare at the banner ads in chat for hours too, which they are probably making a fortune off.

18. Hemaka

Hemaka IncGamers Member

Well most of those products advertised are their own, but hey, a profit is a profit.

Another thing I recently thought about earlier in the evening.. reguarding b.net being completely "free" of money, heres total proof that its apparantly not, even though you don't have to pay for it on a continual basis, here it is;

Theres no way you can [legally] download any sort of client/program for Free, allowing you to participate in the "free" battle.net service. In order to play a battle.net game online, you MUST purchase the single-player version. In purchasing the single player version, you're not only purchasing your right for the liscence to play SP, but ALSO the right, the software, AND keycode, required to play online.

..need more evidence? In Diablo II, there is even an option, asking if you would prefer to have the Single-Player, Multiplayer, or Full install. Reguardless of the fact that you could just settle with the SP optoin, You still paid for the SP option, you paid for the MP option, and you paid for the damn movies where you get to watch the hobo completely F' up Sanctuary with "The Wanderer", case closed!

Legit players shouldn't be screwed out of this MP right, since well.. there's blizz's money involvement ppl were looking for.. b/c it was so damned important to begin with.

This is why imo, they should hault these abuses. Otherwise, charge us or shut down the inclusion of b.net in these games.

..once again.. this is ALL just food for THOUGHT. I realize little will change involving my acct, but i've already politely contacted Blizzard :smiley: