Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gfx help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hatsepsut, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Gfx help

So my old GeForce is dying it seems...time to upgrade! I've been looking at and comparing quite a few cards but all I can conclude is that it's a jungle out there and I'm not "techie" enough to judge what would be the best buy. ;)

Now, the card I have is GeForce 4800 Ti SE 128 and it suits my needs just fine, but since I'm upgrading I may aswell get a better one. I'm not going to pay $500 or thereabouts for a gpu. I found a PowerColor Radeon X800XT PE 256MB GDDR3 AGP for around 2000 SEK (under $300) and I see it sells for around 4500 SEK retail. Buy it? Alternatives?

2. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

3. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Oki, thx. :) What about the X800XT then?

4. kryo

kryo IncGamers Member

I've had some bad experience with PowerColor cards, so I'd recommend keeping away from them... otherwise, if you've been living on a budget card, ask yourself if you really need an X800, or if you can do with a cheaper one (and from a more reliable manufacturer).

5. Christor

Christor IncGamers Member

Right now, the best bang for the buck is the GeForce 6600GT. They're only about $200 American. I have one myself, and it works great.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1780514,00.asp

This site has a pretty comprehensive article. It basically declared the 6600GT the best card for its price for both AGP and PCI-e. I can't argue, I'm very happy with my card's performance. :)

6. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Whatever you do, go with an nVidia card please....

7. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Hmm...what is the difference between PCI-e and AGP and will my mb support PCI-e? My mb is a Shuttle AB48N chipset Intel i845 PE. And why do you say go with Nvidia? Tbh, I've had quite a few problems with Nvidia cards... ><

8. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Well atm I just can't decide. :D Both the ATI 9800 and the GeForce 6600 seem like good cards and very adequate for my needs. ;) I handed my old 4800 in to the shop and they will either "fix it" or give me a new one, so I'll hold on 1-2 weeks and see what happens with that, in the meantime I will use an old GeForce 2 mx I found lying around *cries* Funny thing is, the 4800 I had was so noisy that now I can actually enjoy sitting in silence at my computer and also I can hear how noisy my hd is...

Thank you for advice guys :)

9. Christor

Christor IncGamers Member

For the whole AGP/PCI-e thing: That simply refers to the size of the bus. AGP is an 8x bus, while PCI-express is a 16x bus. It just means that a PCI-e card can physically move more data than an AGP card in the same amount of time.

Since your previous card was only made as AGP (PCI-e wasn't around back when it came out), I'd say that your mobo is AGP. The two buses are not even physically compatible with one another (i.e. an AGP card won't physically fit into a PCI-e slot, and vice versa).

It doesn't really make a huge difference as of right now. AGP cards will probably fade out eventually, as PCI-e becomes the new standard, but unless you feel like springing for a new motherboard there's no problem in sticking with AGP.