Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Getting waxed in Hell

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by ucfengr, Sep 27, 2006.

1. ucfengr

ucfengr IncGamers Member

Getting waxed in Hell

I have a level 72 Zealot who is getting waxed in Hell after owning Nightmare since the mid 50's. I think my problem is my equipment, especially my weapon, but would appreciate some advice from some more experienced players. My player stats are as follows:

Level 72
    Str 190
    Dex 115
    Vit 214
    Eng 19

Maxed Zeal (25)
    Maxed Fanaticism (27)
    Maxed Sacrifice (25)
    Holy Shield (17)
    plus pre-reqs and 1 pt in Sanctuary. No spare points.

Resistances:
    Fire--37
    Cold--23
    Lightning--82
    Poison--6

Equipment:
    Armor--Guardian Angel
    Shield--Spirit Arkann Targe
    Belt--IK
    Weapon--Atlantean soc w/Amn for Life Steal (Damage caps out at 1.7k with Fanaticism on)
    Boots--Infernostride
    Gloves--Rare Demonhide Gloves (Light and Cold Res + MF)
    Hat--Rare Shako (Light and Poison Res)

Any thoughts on how I could improve my survivability would be appreciated. I am trying to do Pit Runs to upgrade my equip, but I keep getting killed either in the Pit or on the way. I also have a couple of mid-level Runes (Dol, Lum, Ko), but am unaware of any rune words using those that would help.

2. ucfengr

ucfengr IncGamers Member

BTW--My rings are Manald Heal and Nagelring and my ammy +2 to Offensive Auras + MF.

3. Jansa

Jansa IncGamers Member

I am in the exact same position right now, only with even worse gear. I'd like some advice too.

4. essquire

essquire IncGamers Member

I have a Zealot that can kill anything and doesn't die to anything in Hell. I believe this is mainly due to life leech and life tap.

I think you should get Dracul's Gasp gloves, for the chance to cast life tap, the bonus to life after you kill an enemy, and the life leech.

For the helmet, I reccomend getting a Tal Rasha's Mask or Andariel's Visage (with a Ral) for the Life Leech.

A good ammy would be Highlords.

The boots you should try to aim for are Gore Riders.

A nice weapon for a Zealot that I used was Nord's Tenderizer. It is cheap, and very effective. Eventually, you should try to get a Stormlash or a Grief Phase Blade.

5. ucfengr

ucfengr IncGamers Member

Esquire--How hard are those particular pieces of equipment to obtain? My Paladin comes from a pretty poor family, the Patriarch having squandered the family fortune wenching and gambling on the horses.

6. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

Here are some budget items that can be had for mid runes or perf gems:

Rockstopper, Bloodfist, Smoke runeword, Ryhme runeword in paly shield with resists, String of Ears, Goblin Toes, Nats Boots, Twitchthroe..don't laugh, and soo much more like some set items such as Ik parts, Sigons, parts, Orphans etc etc.

With Rockstopper, Smoke, Rhyme, String you get the following bonuses: 50% fhr, 105 resist all, dmg reduced by 10-25%, cannot be frozen, regenerate mana, Faster block rate, increased blocking%, extra gold, and a host of other bonuses.

Just take a look at runewords, and such for more ideas..like Black, thul io, nef..useful and cheap..Lawbringer. amn, lem, ko etc etc

Just mix and match items till you are comfortable..Good luck

7. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I was in a similar position this morning. Nightmare Baal runs an absolute breeze, hit Hell and was being protected by a sorceress.

After a gear change and using 150 saved stat points and I now have:
    Code:
    Guillemes
    Smoke armour
    Nords Tenderizer
    HoZ (Pdiamond)
    Laying of Hands (Dracs in 1/4 of a level) + String of ears (was using Deaths belt/gloves)
    Gores (before that Goblin Toes)
    Amulet with +2 combat + resisits
    Rings: Ravenfrost and one with resists
    Base stats:
    Str 115   |   Dex 117   |  Vit 213   | Energy 15
    All resists maxed except cold which is about 68 so close enough
    Sacrifice 16   |   Zeal/Holy Shield/Fanat all maxed   | Smite 1

HF Merc: Tals, Durields, Bonehew (he still dies so I give up - ltap helps though)

Back to owning. I would ditch the GA though, for my money I would rather have the cheap resists from nef-lum than +1 skill.

8. jimba

jimba IncGamers Member

First u need draculs gloves, they are usually about pul (on Europe) but you may get a pair for your mid-runes.

Second sort out your resists - no point wearing GA if you're not going to use the +max resist! U could swap your amu for +30 resist all, which there is a cheap recipe for rolling in the cube - if your spirit shield has low resists, swap it for any half decent 4 soc paladin shield with 4 pdiamonds in it.

After that, it's just about making life easier/faster.
    Raven frost is good for AR & CBF, I always seem to have probelms with being frozen in pits.
    Tals helm is good (& cheap) for life & mana leach - a bit of mana leach is good as it keeps u zealing against mana drain monsters.
    Make sure you have a fast weapon (or lots of IAS) - you stay alive by hitting lots, fast and doing physical dmg.
    A HF merc is good, just to slow everything down & make monster packs more managable.

I think zealots are great :thumbsup: once you have dracs & decent resists, they are cheap and very flexible
    Best of luck!

9. harley98

harley98 IncGamers Member

first: a holy freeze merc would help you out a lot by slowing everything down. this way when you zeal it will not be interupted as often makeing you hit your target more often.

second: put your spare points in blessed aim for the passive attack rate bonus or defiant to help your holy shield giving you better defense.

third: get your blocking maxed out.

10. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

First, your Fire/Cold resists are lacking. Try to get some charms to help, or switch rings/amulet. MF doesn't help at all if you can't survive. Second, you need a better weapon and better leach. Heavens Light is a good alternative, it costs a Pul(with 2 socks), but some will accept PGems. About Draculs, they help alot, but are Clevel 76 req, so, you will have to find other way until then. In the meantime, you can also try running the Mausoleum next to Blood Raven. The Alvl there is the same of The Pits...

11. Josiphos

Josiphos IncGamers Member

I think Smoke is a GREAT idea. Best RW (pound for pound) in the game, IMHO. 2 socket archons are CHEAP. Duress RW for armor would be awesome for you, but requires an Um.

Sanctuary might be out of your price range (KoKoMal), but Gerkkes' Sanctuary shield wont be. You could prolly get that for Lem or Pgems. Moser's Circle (with 2 Pgems in it) Is an absolute wonderful shield...and pretty cheap too (Lem? )

I say forget Drac's and go with Laying of Hands. FR, Ias, huge damage to demons...plus way cheaper. <--Pgems likely.

String of ears is a good choice too. Very cheap.

Nats boots or aldur's boots are both cheap and give good resists.

Ditch your ammy for something with resists. Mahim oak is real cheap as is Sarachen's chance You'll prolly find rares with +1 skill with some resist eventually.

Vampire Gaze (with low DR) is a great helm when u are on a budget. You can get those pretty cheap. I think you really need some DR to soak up some of the hits.

Raven frost <----A MUST HAVE. You will die without it. Junk ravens are either free or for Pgems.

Weapon: Nord's is a great idea (cheap). Or Baranar's star. Both prolly for pgems or low runes. Lightsaber is a great weapon that people overlook (also pretty cheap). For RWs : Black is a bargain. You'll really like the crushing blow. Cresent moon RW requires Shael Um Tir, but is worth it when you are on a budget. Dont forget Lawbringer (Amn Lem Ko) which gives:

20% Chance To Cast Level 15 Decrepify On Striking
    Level 16-18 Sanctuary Aura When Equipped (varies)
    -50% Target Defense
    Adds 150-210 Fire Damage
    Adds 130-180 Cold Damage
    7% Life Stolen Per Hit
    Slain Monsters Rest In Peace
    +200-250 Defense Vs. Missile (varies)
    +10 To Dexterity
    75% Extra Gold From Monsters

Sounds perfect for you eh? Crazy mods (everything will be constantly decrepified) and extremely cheap (lem). Try it out.

I think the most important thing for you is to get that ravenfrost. Make smoke or duress and you will live longer to do pitruns. Crushing blow and resists resists resists. Teh you'll turn the tables on em'!

Take a look at some of the trading channels. Sometimes seemingly useless things you find are worth BIG money to duelers. Check out whats hot and you should be able to build your wealth.

Good luck!

12. Garance

Garance IncGamers Member

in my experience (and coming from a long line of paladins who just couldn't hack it in hell, i have a good idea of what this is like), there are a few pointers which i found helped me to finally get a zealot through the game.

One of the main things you want to do is get your resists up as quickly as possible. once they're over 50% in hell you can concentrate on other things, but there's a lot of pretty mean elemental damage out there, so getting rid of as much of it as possible is always a good plan, and you WILL want to max them eventually. use rings, amulets and charms to get as much resist as you can.

ignore MF, you'll never get enough on a zealot to be worthwhile without seriously compromising his survuvability. if you're going to magic find, use a sorc.

leech is extremely handy. belt and gloves are usually the place to find this, though jewellery can sometimes give you a nice boost too. don't worry too much about life tap, once you get leech over about 12% the occasional red pot will see you through.

weird as it sounds, don't worry too much about +skills gear. if you can boost zeal and fanat to around level 23, anything more is just icing. if you're not careful, you can end up with a character with massive damage, but who dies as soon as a fallen spits at him.

apart from that there are a few pieces of equipment i found quite handy while leveling: string of ears, laying of hands, aldur's advance (still using them endgame in fact), 'Honour' runeword (in a phase blade, for that handy indestuctability), and any old rare jewellery with +resists.

13. Tankmobile

Tankmobile IncGamers Member

if either of u wanting help is on europe plz tell, i have half of the equipment recommended (the nords etc. not the grief :D) and im sure i can part with em.
    Nords is nice, i agree and is fairly cheap. id keep the guardian tho, and jus buy (or find) a ton of res charms cos the =max, and the +blocking is v. useful

14. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

Truest statement I've ever read here.

One of the best items in the game. On my godly uber smiter/zealot I wear it instead of a COA! Only a 2os near perfect crown is better for a zealot IMHO.

RS (I upgraded mine) 84 str required
    +160-220% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    Damage Reduced By 10%-18% with BER
    30% Faster Hit Recovery-Same as COH
    Cold Resist +20-40% (varies)
    Fire Resist +20-50% (varies)
    Lightning Resist +20-40% (varies)
    +15 To Vitality

COA-174 str required
    +50% Enhanced Defense
    +100-150 Defense (varies)
    +1 To All Skills
    Damage Reduced By 10-15% (varies)
    All Resistances +20-30 (varies)
    +30% Faster Hit Recovery
    Socketed (1-2) (varies)
    Indestructible

Why I like RS better.

Higher def
    Save gear and str points for life
    +15 vit for more life
    Much better res (I don't care about poison it's maxed anyway)
    40 HR's cheaper
    Not duped

COA only advantages are +1 skills and more DR. Just think a 1os 10dr low res COA goes for 5 hr on west. A good upgraded RS blows that away and will cost you peanuts.

15. mythos

mythos IncGamers Member

If you're so poor that you don't even have many pgems (i'm not being mean, we've all been there at some stage), run nightmare cows for flawless gems, cube them and start trading for some of the stuff that's been mentioned in this thread. Nm cows is easier than hell pits and is a great place to find gems.
    Try get a decent weapon first. Higher dmg = higher leech and faster killing, which will keep you alive. Plus skills are not important. Casters kill with skills, melee kill with their weapon. ie your dmg is proportional to your weapon's base dmg. Then get your res up, after that you'll life much easier.

16. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

Dont know whether youre ladder or not and I guess it really doesnt matter.
    Id look for some dr gear,stormshield in place of your spirit would be a good start.Tals helm for mana/life leach and nice resist boost,maybe socket with tal/ral or ort for whichever resist your lacking most.
    Ravenfrost for cbf cant be beat especially for a zealot because it gives a big ar /dex bonus also.Weapon wise a cheap good alternative for early/mid hell is the good old litesabre.
    If your resists are hurting a couple of cheap alternatives to guardian angel are lionheart and smoke.
    With a little nm magic finding or clever trading you should be able to accumulate this kind of gear relatively easy and see a big difference in your zealot in hell.:thumbsup:

17. ucfengr

ucfengr IncGamers Member

Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the assist.

18. ucfengr

ucfengr IncGamers Member

No offense taken. Thanks for the suggestion, NM Cow runs may be a good place to start.

19. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Get Crushing Blow.

With Guil's face and Goreriders/Goblintoe i was chopping monsters to death with a Aldur's Rhtymn.

With sufficient Crushing blow you are knocking off huge chunks off monsters hp per hit especially against bosses.

High on the list is resist, i will not stress the importance of having at least 75% resist to fire and Lightning. The majority of high damage elemental attacks are from this 2 elements so gear up accordingly. A good IK belt which will not cost more than 4 pgems have both of those resists up to 30% ! Get em !

Another important thing is leech, mana leech is not too much of a problem for a zealot since even with 0 ML u can still Zeal 50 odd times (more than enough to kill anything if u have good CB and remember zeal hits 5 times) unless u meet up with a nasty mana burner. Try to obtain life leech, a lightsabre amned is extremely fast and can deal CB boosted damage VERY QUICKLY.

Of course if you can LT from Draculs, there goes your life leeching woes, now it boils down to how fast you can trigger it. ;)

And lastly, max blocking, yep what i said, 75% of the blows not getting through is like having 4 times the life since you only get hit 1 out of 4 times. Of course common sense also goes along way, don't be suicidal !

20. ucfengr

ucfengr IncGamers Member

Just an update, added a Smoke Great Hauberk (had already traded for a Wyrmhide one which got kicked to merc), Guillame's Helm, Lawbringer PB, Goblin Toe, Ravenfrost, and a Rhyme Shield (Pally, but forget what type) and things have improved remarkably. Just soloed through Act 3 with lag being the only problem. Thanks for the assist everybody, equipment really does make the difference.