getting suddenly one hit killed from monster (bug?)

daemon

Diabloii.Net Member
getting suddenly one hit killed from monster (bug?)

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to diablo, and im playing single player for a while because I cant go b.net (home network problem)

But anyways, I have a Barb at level 89, beated hell a long time ago. But here is the problem, I'm fighting thru monster just outside of the chaos sanuturay (cant spell), or even if i make it into it, i would randomly get one hit killed from some monster. now i dont understand, is this some monster skill to instant kill? cuz this happen to me even in normal. I can handle diablo easily and definity those monsters, i dont really loss health at all. But then just one hit killed, tho most of the time is demon knight or something ( the bigger demons with wings in the back). I beated the game by rushing thru it and i was lucky didnt got killed like that, but i dont get lucky too often. this thing happen to me all the time, so im asking you guys, is this a bug? or its just mosnter skill, if so how to counter?

thanks a lot guys.

Re: getting suddenly one hit killed from monster (bug?)

That's most probably the Iron Maiden curse, in which your dealt damage will be reflected upon yourself. Happens with most physical builds.

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member

I think you are dieing due to the Iron Maiden curse. Oblivion Knights which always spawn in Chaos Sanctuary (and often in Worldstone Keep level 3/Throne) can cast this spell. What it does is it reflects damage that you deal back on you - tenfold. The more damage you deal, the more it hurts.

Iron Maiden has been a bane of melee characters since like forever, so you'll have to be careful while in CS. You can use:

• Berserker skill - it deals pure magic damage, and IM only reflects physical melee damage.
  • Use Ranged weapons: throwing axes/knives/javelins/bows - as I said, IM only reflects melee damage.

[EDIT]: Pwned :(

lionheartthebrave

Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm, how good is your Fire Resist, those breaths can hurt

More likely it's iron maiden, there is a picture of the curse below the text on it. This deals damage to you based on your damage to a monster, so it is basically always a one hit kill for physcial based melee characters, as you deal lots of damage to them

Ways to avoid it:
-wait until another curse hits you
-leap onto the oblivion knights, they will cast decrep on you
-use berserk to do magic damage instead

Iron Maiden (IM) is the main reason people don't play melee characters, IM doesn't work on ranged/elemental attacks

Also, welcome to the forums, we have a dedicated Single Player Forum

EDIT: bah, pwned twice, lol we all posted in the same minute

daemon

Diabloii.Net Member

Yup i just went diablo hunting again, and ya i realize what it is, just one more question, what does IM looks like? there are so many of stuff that i have no idea when I am cursed of that.

thanks

ThomasJohnsen

Diabloii.Net Member

Iron Maiden looks like this and have a very distinctive sound upon casting.

Also watch out for undead stygian dolls in act III and V. If you kill one it will explode dealing alot of physical and fire damage - this can seriously hurt even well equipped characters, especially if you are cursed with Amplify Damage.

jwhite82

Diabloii.Net Member

Also watch out for undead stygian dolls in act III and V. If you kill one it will explode dealing alot of physical and fire damage - this can seriously hurt even well equipped characters, especially if you are cursed with Amplify Damage.
My mid-50's lvl Frost Zealot is always getting killed by the danged things. I usually just try to run away from them if I can and let my Holy Freeze kill them.

:banghead:

Tarantella

Diabloii.Net Member

Bear in mind that you can die to IM even before the alert sound plays or the visual curse effect gets displayed.

In the chaos sanctuary berserk > whirlwind :)

ThomasJohnsen

Diabloii.Net Member

My mid-50's lvl Frost Zealot is always getting killed by the danged things. I usually just try to run away from them if I can and let my Holy Freeze kill them.

:banghead:
I can't afford to get killed by them - I play strictly hardcore :scared:.

If nothing else - dolls and OKs teaches you caution. An extra strong pack of fanatic minotaurs or a pack of gloams with a conviction enchanted boss may also "lead to the downfall of Billy Mumfries" [Quote from Seinfeld].

A good idea is to play a paladin and try out the different auras and get acquainted with them. Also playing a necro and getting to know the curses (by sound and graphics) can really help.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member

Iron Maiden looks like this and have a very distinctive sound upon casting.

True....them lot exploding I don't mind all that much, I can handle it. It's just whenever one gets too close damnit. One stab and I'm more than half dead....

Alecz

Diabloii.Net Member

Just let your merc/summon kill the dolls, you don't have to run around like a headless chicken and stir up the mobs of hell in there.