Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Getting stuck sucks!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Canadia142, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Getting stuck sucks!

So its after school. I'm going to my car to go home and its pouring like a son of a *****. I put the key in and trying to start it. Nothing. So I try again. I check to make sure I have it in park. it is. So I try a couple more time.At this point I look at my light switch and realize I left them on. So first thing I do is call my mom. She reminds me about my AAA emergency card so I call up a tow truck to get a jump. I had to wait about 30 minutes then finally he came and jumped my car and it started up. Good to go right? Wrong.

I was driving for about 2 minutes when I got to a really big intersection of a highway and a very busy road. Well I'm the first one to the light and as I stop for the light my car just completly dies, again. I wait there for about 7 minutes and ask about 10 people for a jump but no one will help me(selfish bitches didn't wanna get wet). Then like it was a movie, this fire truck comes up(it was a pick up not an acual fire engine) and I ask them for a jump. Thank God they give me a jump and I go off.

This will be the last time I ever forget my lights on cause I put a piece of paper on the steering wheel that says "LIGHTS!!!". Ugh :rant: :grrr:

2. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Sounds like your alternator is going.

3. AluminumKnight

AluminumKnight IncGamers Member

I actually left my lights during school, except the problem was I was leaving early because we had a curling match at noon. My friends on the team had already took off, and I discovered that my lights were left on. Thank god there was ONE person in the parking lot, and that I had jumper cables. It was the match to go to state too. Would have been bad if I missed it.

4. ScanMan

ScanMan IncGamers Member

Quick piece of advice: NEVER drive off immediately after a jump start. Let the car idle 15-20 minutes to get the battery at least partially charged.

First reason is your alternator is trying to re-charge the dead battery. Alternators aren't really designed for this type of load. So you jump off the car, then get in and turn on your lights and wipers and defroster and head off driving. Your poor alternator is trying to deliver more power than it is designed to handle, it starts to get REALLY hot, and the internal circuitry cooks. Now, of course, you blame the person who jump started you because your alternator was fine before they screwed it up, right?

Second reason is...well, you found that one out. Your battery is still dead! You jump in and drive off, stall out at the first stop because of a low voltage condition (see first reason) and now you can't restart AND you're in the middle of the dammed road!

The AAA driver should have told you this after he gave you the jump.

5. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Scanman, thats exactly what my dad told me when I talked to him.

That AAA guy should of told me that! What a jerk!

6. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

I thought that was common knowledge, so its very posssible he did too, and just assumed if you were driving you knew a little something about cars :)

I think we should have a drivers education program, to educate people about their cars on things such as tire pressure *more is not always better*, how to perfrom inbetween maintenance on your car, as in between check ups, and how to recognize signs that your car has serious problems vs just small things.

7. ScanMan

ScanMan IncGamers Member

Tydon, if this was common knowledge I'd be replacing about half as many alternators as I do now.

Hell, if people took care of their cars, what would I do for a living?

:)

8. TheGreatStickels

TheGreatStickels IncGamers Member

I got stuck in the mud after school last week, and some construction worker was parked behind my car, so I was stuck there with the front wheels of my car stuck into the mud, and a big *** van parked behind me, and I ended up being traped there for about an hour untill I could get the worker to come move the car.

Then because I was stuck there so long all my friends had left, so I had nobody to help me out of the mud. So I ended up having to pay the Jackass of a construction worker $20 to pull my *** out (he wanted to make me pay more, but $20 was everything I had) Even though it was his fault that I was stuck there with no other help out in the first place. Grrr, just pissed me off.

9. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

Yeah, being stuck does suck. Since it sounds like it's story time, I'll share.

Personally, I haven't been stuck out by myself (as of yet...), however, when I was a wee pup my family ventured on a road trip to Florida for a vacation. Let me tell you, driving from Ontario to Florida is about two full days of driving - one way. So anyway, on the way back, our car started giving out on us. There we were, 2 am in a rest area parking lot somewhere in Ohio along the I-75. No one was around except the usual truckers taking a break from thier long haul. Well, that and a small 4 door VW Golf packed to the brim with luggage and sleeping bags, 2 small kids in the back. My dad was outside in the bitter cold winter night trying to fiddle with the battery. That is when it happened... A guy stepped out of his big rig, and reached back to grab a monkey wrench and some other stuff, and slowly started walking toward my dad all the way from the truck parking lot... The place was dark and deserted, the rest station itself was locked up, no one around. He walked very quietly, yet approaching fast. That's when it happened. That's when my whole world changed. That's when... he offered us some help and changed my entire view on truckers. They are really a nice bunch of people, (had you fooled didn't I?). Anyway, he got us going again, enough to get us all the way to the boarder where we got a tow-truck to take us the rest of the way home. Fun trip.

10. toader

toader Banned

I never really got stuck like that, but I do have a funny story from when I was 16...kinda related.

Well, I took my car up to school and locked the keys in it. Damn. I called my mom, she brought me the spare set of keys. Yay. So I drive my car home at the end of the day. I get a call from my parents saying they are out shopping and for me to grab my sister and drive her up to a restaurant and meet them. Cool. So I go for my keys...cant find them. Damn. Look in the car...there they are...locked in again. Ok, im at home, so I go for the spare set. Cant find them. Damn. They are still in the car because with the rest of my stuff, since I had used them already that day. Now both sets are locked in the car. What is a 16 year old to do. Well, of course you all are thinking...call your parents. Nope. I call pop-a-lock to come open my door for 40 bucks. Well, the guy gets there...struggles with the window...bam. He shatters my glass. Bastard.

So now, I have the keys to my car, but now my window is busted. So I just give up and call my parents. Luckily, they pretty much just laugh it off since pop-a-lock is paying for the window. I even now at 23 almost 24 I still get made fun of for that one.

11. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

i once got stuck in the snow in someones driveway.

12. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Toad, I used to drive a '92 Ford Taurus that was ridiculously easy to break into. Just twist a metal coat hanger into a long piece with a hook at the end, and slip it in through the weather stripping, "grab" the lock, and you're good to go.

That saved me from some embarassment on more than one occasion.

13. toader

toader Banned

I wish mine was that easy.

The car in my story was 84 pontiac fiero. I guess they are tricky to break into, because even the professional car door opener busted the window. :lol:

14. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

You had a Fiero? Lucky SOB.