Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Getting Lvl 98 Merc Easy?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by IliketoNARR, Feb 19, 2004.

1. IliketoNARR

IliketoNARR IncGamers Member

Getting Lvl 98 Merc Easy?

Hi. I'm experimenting in single player and I was wondering if there is anyway to get a lvl 98 Merc without having to go through all the labor as I am just testing this build. Any tips?

2. Pucho

Pucho Banned

sorry, we cant help you here
    any way to make this is by cheating and, as says in the top of the page "Please do not post links or information about hacking/warez/cheats"
    we cant post anything like that
    maybe you can try google

3. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

Howdy! just so you know, it is the policy of this web page to not post any links or info about cheats or hacks, so we aren't allowed to answer that question. read the FAQ stickied on the front page if you have any questions about that policy.

we can however answer all sorts of questions about builds - we've tried most viable and not-viable builds - and collectively we have an insanely vast knowledge about the workings of the game. :) i can tell you from experience that if you need to test the viability of a build (or a merc) at level 99... by the time you get to level 99 you will have pretty well proved that the build is viable. having said that, what questions did you have specifically?

4. IliketoNARR

Well I'm making my super hammerdin and he's all complete with the exception of his merc. Now I'm pretty sure that I a holy freeze merc but my question is what are THE BEST items you can put on him--with exception to expensive runewords.

Sorry about that question.

5. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet IncGamers Member

Good point Whom -

If you want to test the viability of a build, you're looking at if they can get to levels around 80-84 which most people find themselves in halfway through Hell. As far as that goes, as Whom said, we are very knowledgeable on the viability of builds both in SC and HC. ... Of course I'm under the impression that anything is viable in SC with patience... but I'm just biased. Hehe

6. whomhead

no worries about the question...

i agree that a HF merc is probably the best option for a hammerdin. ultimate gear for your merc will depend on weather you are MFing or questing/leveling. for MF, the best gear is probably Skullfers Ire (Ptopaz), upgraded Stealskull (Ptopaz), and either a Reaper's Toll, Brainhew (AmnAmn), an upgraded Hone Sundan (preferably ehtereal), or any awesome ethereal rare elite item. rares can now spawn with up to 450% ED add on top of that life leech, IAS, and ethereal and you got a sweeeeeet item!

for questing/leveling your options are more open. basically you want (in order of preference) life leech, resists, magic/physical damage resist, and finally + to vitality/health. Tal's helm is an awesome helm as is Vampire Gaze. good armors include Leviathan, Arkaine's Valor, Duriel's Shell, and the Lionheart runeword (HelLumFal). hope that helps!

7. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

I think you mean, 'Bonehew' whom. ;)

My personal favorite setup if you don't have much, is a Tal's Mask(10% Life Leech), Spire of Honor(Huge damage at low level requirements), and a Shaftstop or Duriel's Shell.

May not be the best, but I can assure you that your merc will live plenty.

8. IliketoNARR

Are there any big advantages to having a high level Holy Freeze? I mean like a +4 arioc's needle, +1 skulders, and +2 shako. Does high level Holy Freeze have a better Freeze as in length or degree or does it just do the minimal extra cold damage in which case normal killing power would be prefered?

9. IliketoNARR

Oh, just a couple more simple questions. Would Blackthorn's Face (possibly with Um) be a viable helm. It slows target by 20%, prevents monster heal, and has +20 lightning absorb. Now a question about those mods: does slows target work on all the monsters in the area or just on the ones he is attacking or has attacked? Likewise, does prevent monster heal only work on the monsters he has damaged?

THanks

10. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

Slow target : Only monsters who have been hit by the bearer of the item.
    Prevent monster heal : Same thing.

Um'ed Blackhorn's, not sure there. If you got the rune, why not. If you're not sure, don't do it.

11. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

Helm is a good place to get leech - Undead Crown, Crown of Thieves, Vampire Gaze, Tal's Mask and so on. If you don't need the leech (because its on your weapoon for instance), Blackhorn's isn't a bad choice. Pair it up with a Kelpie Snare to bring monsters to a crawl (nice for working over bosses). The lightning absorb is helpful in keeping mercs alive against LE monsters.

Increasing the level of holy freeze increases the radius of effect, and also increases the degree to which monsters are slowed. Diminishing returns are in effect so you're slowing down monster by a whole lot more.

Chris

12. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Items like Shaftstop and Vampiregaze will make your merc last longer and it is very good thing while questing. My MF hammerdin has doesn't have any PDR gear, he has Crown of Thieves, Tomb Reaver (AmnAmnShael) and Tal Rasha's Guardianship (thats total of 150% MF on him). He can survive very well if you try to take most of the hits instead of him, but he can stay alive because of his high life leech. Only non-leechable or very high damage monsters can kill him if you protect him enough (well if he dies instantly it often means instant death for my hammerdin too, then monsters are doing so huge damage)

13. whomhead

actually, as far as I know, putting + skills gear on an act 2 merc has no effect on their aura. it actually increases the level of their attack skill. in this case, I think act 2 mercs use jab, so putting + to all skills gear gives them a higher level attack (slightly higher damage and AR).

PS. yes, i meant bonehew. :bonk:

14. farting bob

farting bob Banned

i laughed out loud when i read the title for this thread. "Oh yes, i get lvl 98 mercs all the time. i got another 3 this morning in fact...."
    however, he wants to do it by other means than actually fighting, so i guess its plausable.
    and i dont aim for lvl 99 chars, i tend to paln my skills to allow me to get to lvl 90. my highest so far is 86 and ive been playign him a hell of a lot so 90+ is kinda pointless.

15. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I don't have anything to add to this thread. But I really really want to know what NARR stands for. :D