Getting hammered at a company happy hour

Better overall belt for java:

• Razortail

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thundergods Vigor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
MixedVariety said:
In HAM's defense, DC, really...don't you think your login name might, er, lead one to believe that alcohol perhaps forms a major part of your lifestyle?
:scratch:

Whatdya mean? :D

I completely understand, and yeah. I also do tend to wear my "drinking accomplishments" like badges on my sleeve, of that much I'm guilty. But when it comes down to it, I'm very well aware of and on the lookout for signs of abuse (other than what your typical stick-in-the-mud college administrator calls abuse--I'm not talking about getting hammered, I'm talking about needing to be drunk all the time to function). I also have a lot of friends around me (including a fiancee with her head screwed a little tighter on her shoulders than I) who would not hesitate to sit me down for a talk if they thought I had a problem. I have very frank relationships with my close friends, and we don't hold anything back.

HAMC8112

Diabloii.Net Member
Njx said:
I really doubt it seeing the kind of uneducated statement you made towards those drugs and comparing them with alcohol.

I am saying that alcoholism is a much bigger problem than the other drugs combined. Why? Because of the numbers, there's are alot more alcoholics than there are heroinejunkie's/cokespooners/gluesniffers and what ever you can think of. Come to think of it, alot of those junkies are infact alcoholics aswell.

Wether or not i have taken dope is besides the point, for all you know i could have used all of them, but then again i could not. So what difference does that make? Basic facts do not change when i consume large quantity's of contraband. :D

And sure, the stuff some of those dopers get into is real bad but the same thing goes for the drunks. When the father and or the mother with a family goes out and waists the money, the kids go without food. Does it make a difference if it is dope or booze? I dont think so.

I am saying that the negative impact from alcohol on humanity is much bigger than the impact from dope.

In large part because of availability and affordability, HAM, come on now. If I could go downstairs to the CVS and pick up an eightball, or next door to the pub and spend my evening blowing lines, you don't think that the problems associated with drug abuse would be a lot worse in this world?

I think Njx and I are making the same point with regards to your statement. While I see your logic, I think the comparison fails miserably. I've seen a lot of people drink inhuman amounts for four years of college and stop almost cold turkey after graduation. I've seen several people blow inhuman amounts of cocaine, and almost all of them subsequently disappeared into halfway houses, dropped out of whatever stage of schooling they were in, lost jobs, were disowned by parents, and/or ended up in jail. Huge difference. I've also never seen someone who was legitimately addicted to cocaine manage to quit. I've seen alcoholics stop drinking successfully.

HAMC8112

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
In large part because of availability and affordability, HAM, come on now. If I could go downstairs to the CVS and pick up an eightball, or next door to the pub and spend my evening blowing lines, you don't think that the problems associated with drug abuse would be a lot worse in this world?
Indeed, availabillity, another thing that proves my point i'd say. Drugs are only a problem when you cannot afford them, David Something, ex singer from Van Halen said: "i used to have a drugproblem, now i can afford them."

Alcohol on the other hand is available at reasonable prices and in some cases damn cheap, if you go to the cheap Aldi stores overhere you get a bottle of scotch for a couple €uro's. So even the beggars can afford alcohol and you are surpriced that it is a bigger problem?

I can see where you are comming from though, as you i have been priviliged to have known alot of adicts, booze and dopers alike. So yes i am very aware that the effects of dope on the individual are in some cases more devastating than the effects of alcohol.

I've seen several people blow inhuman amounts of cocaine, and almost all of them subsequently disappeared into halfway houses, dropped out of whatever stage of schooling they were in, lost jobs, were disowned by parents, and/or ended up in jail.
All of these things happen to alcoholists aswell, i am not saying to all of them ofcourse but to some. And remember that a fair number of the dopers are boozers aswell, boozers>dopers.

I've also never seen someone who was legitimately addicted to cocaine manage to quit. I've seen alcoholics stop drinking successfully
Oh but i have, only they tell me that the need doesnt go away, my experience with the boozething makes me feel the same, the urge is still there.

And even if drugs were to become as available as booze it would still not explode to surpass alcohol. Basicly, because having experienced drugs at firsthand and "survived" you might have lost sight of the fact that most people are scared ****less about using drugs. The "Regular people" believe the things they see on TV, they believe what is written in the newspapers. Overhere people are told by the state that whomever smokes a joint will upgrade to heroin and sadly enough people believe those kinda things. Facts is, people who do not take drugs generaly tend to know very little about them.

Alcohol on the other hand doesnt frighten people atall and is consummed in large quantity's every day by alot more people than there are dopers, if you subtract the boozing dopers you are left with a small minority of people.

Alcohol is a much larger problem in society than drugs.

Beowulf

Diabloii.Net Member
I do not drink in memory of a friend who was killed by a drunk driver, something that I just decided to do but in this case I would not drink a whole lot, at least not until you are secure in the position.

jimmyboy

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
So I have a dilemma. After being sick for a week, and actually having to spend St. Patty's sober, having my mother visiting (which means she's living in my apartment) for three weeks, and having a new job have all come together to make me feel the need to go out and get smashed in true DrunkCajun form. It's been a good while since the last time that I can honestly say I was good and drunk (okay, truth be told its been 2 weeks), and I'm feeling the urge.

There's a company happy hour this Thursday, and my company is small, young, and the employees here are purportedly known for partying hard. The weekly newsletter that went out on Friday had back page trivia, including: "guess which manager was spotted staggering through Adams-Morgan at 3am last weekend, repeatedly wishing the wrong coworker a happy birthday while fighting a losing battle with gravity." The CEO is known for getting smashed at his own happy hours. Finally, at 4 pm every Friday the office makes a beer run and we drink at our desks as we wrap up the week.

Now to the meat of the question: is it a faux pas for me to go out and show my true colors at Thursday's happy hour by taking full advantage of the company-sponsored drinks and get good and drunk? Keep in mind that I've only been working here since last Tuesday.

This may be the perfect opportunity to pinch that favorite co-worker's arse without getting fired. Blame it on the alchohol.

sunbearie

Diabloii.Net Member
jimmyboy said:
This may be the perfect opportunity to pinch that favorite co-worker's arse without getting fired. Blame it on the alchohol.
You know you're in the right company if she pinches you back :)

Since you're a straight-lace drinker, I say just go and enjoy yourself. I don't hesitate to have drinks on the company's account but it makes me look good when I'm chilling/hanging out and don't get drunk :)

rplusplus

Diabloii.Net Member
Have fun, drink a few and be the life of the party and leave em with the impression that they were 100% right in hiring a cool dood like you.

Just don't wake up the next morining sprawled on the hood of your car with your pants around your ankles and you keys stuck up your butt.

R++

I drink very casually in the work/party atmosphere since I am usually one of the higher ranking personnel present and I need to play dad to some of the younger folks.

greatrambino1981

Diabloii.Net Member
The one and only employee Christmas party i went to, I got waaay drunk. The food was bad, the place was awfull, so I drank. A lot. Then fell on my ass in the parking lot. It was icy.

Freet

Diabloii.Net Member
I would stay one step behind everyone else. watch all others get tipsy before you get tipsy. Watch others piss in the hedges before you piss in the hedges.

This way you look like someone who can party but hold his liquor.

Just don't hit on the bosses wife....or daughter....or both.

Freet said:
See, the beauty of it is that the CEO of the company is only 35, and not married, so don't have to worry too much about that. His mom, however, will be there, as she's in town visiting...

rplusplus

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
See, the beauty of it is that the CEO of the company is only 35, and not married, so don't have to worry too much about that. His mom, however, will be there, as she's in town visiting...
Don't ask me about the Fourth of July 1988. It involved my supervisors mom and it has a really funny ending.

R++

Namyeknom

Diabloii.Net Member
rplusplus said:
Don't ask me about the Fourth of July 1988. It involved my supervisors mom and it has a really funny ending.
Do you really expect anyone not to after an introduction like that?

Necrolestes

Diabloii.Net Member
Topsy turvy tipsy

Freet said:
I would stay one step behind everyone else. watch all others get tipsy before you get tipsy. Watch others piss in the hedges before you piss in the hedges.

This way you look like someone who can party but hold his liquor.

Of course, if you're really drunk, you might just hit on the boss. You'll either get a promotion or a kick out the door. And stop going in my hedges! No wonder they're sickly and yellow.

Sokar Rostau

Diabloii.Net Member
I worked in a large Sydney corporate law firm for four years and every Friday at 4:30 the wall between the Board Room and Dining Room was opened and the munchies and a whole lot of grog were put out. Drinks were usually drunk at desks until around 5 then about 50 or 60 people (about 1/4 of the firm) would converge on the Board Room, sometimes with clients or barristers in tow, and drink in good old Aussie fashion before moving on to the bars around town at 9. It was an average Friday night to go through 8 dozen beers, 10 bottles of liquor and a dozen bottles of wine. At the more than 200 of these things I attended I saw everything from slightly tipsy secretaries being stupid to the occasional fist-fight between solicitors (even a partner seducing a junior solicitor...I was the unfortunate one to find them in bed in the medical room...I'm told by those that saw me, when I came out of the room, that the expression on my face was priceless) and the one thing each of these nights had in common was that no matter how drunk everyone did or did not get it was all water under the bridge come monday morning, something to laugh about.

My advice is to NOT get drunk. Have a few drinks this time and be sociable, but drink less than the average person in the room so you can really guage things. That way you will know exactly who is belligerent and who is the life of the party and can drink and behave appropriately at future such gatherings.

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Tut Tut! You really need to ask this?

Ofc go out and get hammered. That way your new company and fellow employees will know exactly what to expect from you right from the word go. So when you next have a works do it wont be a shock to anyone that, 'that nice new employee' is a complete p*** head. :)

I have got into some proper states while out on works christmas do's. I've fallen asleep in a couple of pubs and pub toilet cubicles. And I've threatened to burn down pubs for not serving me as I was to p****d.

Obviously try not to copy this behaviour, but enjoy!!!

KnightFall
:drink: <--- Give us smileys back :_(

Man, so many party poopers out there. The "sit quietly on the side and watch crowd" is taking over. What am I supposed to do when I get cornered and am expected to tell my life story, am bought drinks to celebrate my extremely entertaining past, stories, and general demeanor, and am tied to my chair and forced to stay late with the troopers?