Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Getting hammered at a company happy hour

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkCajun, Mar 21, 2005.

?

Better overall belt for java:

1. Razortail

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Thundergods Vigor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Getting hammered at a company happy hour

So I have a dilemma. After being sick for a week, and actually having to spend St. Patty's sober, having my mother visiting (which means she's living in my apartment) for three weeks, and having a new job have all come together to make me feel the need to go out and get smashed in true DrunkCajun form. It's been a good while since the last time that I can honestly say I was good and drunk (okay, truth be told its been 2 weeks), and I'm feeling the urge.

There's a company happy hour this Thursday, and my company is small, young, and the employees here are purportedly known for partying hard. The weekly newsletter that went out on Friday had back page trivia, including: "guess which manager was spotted staggering through Adams-Morgan at 3am last weekend, repeatedly wishing the wrong coworker a happy birthday while fighting a losing battle with gravity." The CEO is known for getting smashed at his own happy hours. Finally, at 4 pm every Friday the office makes a beer run and we drink at our desks as we wrap up the week.

Now to the meat of the question: is it a faux pas for me to go out and show my true colors at Thursday's happy hour by taking full advantage of the company-sponsored drinks and get good and drunk? Keep in mind that I've only been working here since last Tuesday.

2. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Do what you want. Just be prepared for any consequences.

3. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

It is not a good idea!

Trust me on this young one.

4. g00tch

g00tch IncGamers Member

I think I speak for everyone reading this when I say that anyone who gets to drink on the job is one lucky sob! Hahaha what do you do anyway? :D

5. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Lucky lucky lucky. Although at my current job as a computer lab monitor, my pre-game incluces 8 shots of vodka and a huge blunt.

6. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

I now work at a marketing firm. Quite a nice change from the bureaucracy and red tape of a non-profit doing economic and social development work in Latin America and working with government money.

I might also add to this--while I have been known to be an "interesting" drunk at times, I can also do a very good job of being a straight-laced drunk, ie carrying on intelligent conversations and seeming soberish. I had to learn that one in college as I kept getting invited to dinners and receptions with important speakers by my professors, and naturally all of them had free booze.

Also, I know two of the people in the office already--one I worked with a year and change ago, and have been drinking buddies with her and her boyfriend ever since. She's seen me at my worst/best. The other guy went to college with me, where I was known as the host of "The Beer and Food Show" and generally known as that drunk guy.

7. g00tch

g00tch IncGamers Member

Throw down and slam some!

8. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

If this is true, do it in a heartbeat. Have some fun on your company's dime and show them that you don't have a stick up your ass (since it seems like this is the kind of company that would actually respect that).

However, if you are a violent or "make an ass of yourself" drunk, then I would definitely advise against it. While many things can be excused when one is drunk, such as slurring, getting a little top-heavy, and thinking of hilarious conversations to have, others, such as throwing up, becoming beligerent, and showing a complete lack of self control, wouldn't be the best attributes to showcase on the job.

If there's one thing that I've learned about social drinking outside of college, it's that you can be a little drunk and have a good time with people, but the minute you cross that line, no one will ever forget about it. Quite different from college in that respect.

9. Akira

Akira Member

You're obviously an experienced drinker and drunk, so I say go for it. Edge into it slowly and start off by being the straight-laced drunk and if the lights are green just have fun without making a total ass of yourself.

10. HAMC8112

I am amazed yet again, it is inconcievable to me how accepted alcoholism really is. That is just wicked sick to me.

11. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

It's a fine line. My advice is to remember that SOMEONE is going to remember EVERYTHING you do. This includes, but is not limited to, being uptight around a bunch of drunks, making fun of any drunks present, saying anything inappropriate, pissing in the bushes, and anything that involves nudity. So I would advise having fun, tossing back a couple to loosen up, and saving the heavy binging for the after party when you are out of earshot of those who control your financial destiny.

12. Akira

Akira Member

Then why are you commenting on it? Also getting smashed != alcoholism. I wish I had more than just a quip to fire off at you but you haven't given me much to work with and I'd rather not make assumptions.

13. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

DC, take it from me, a consummate drunk schmoozer. Your phrasing in the poll was absolutely correct: it would be bad form indeed to turn down free drinks. It would be ingracious, callous and would give entirely the wrong impression. My advice is to drink freely, get moderately drunk and chat away. Now, mind you, I wouldn't be falling down or throwing up, but you owe it to your employer to become drunk and jolly. Tell risque jokes, bawdy annecdotes and tall tales. Be quick to anger, and quick to forget, like any true gentleman should.

I know you'll make the right decision and do just fine.

14. HAMC8112

Because i feel compelled to comment on it, i cannot help it. It is a futile attempt to get maybe one drunk(not implieing anything here, purely coincidental) of the booze. For alcohol is a greater dissease than cocaine and heroine combined. I know, afterall i was a drunk at age 12.

15. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

HAM, as someone who has sampled cocaine extensively in my younger years, and who has known both cocaine addicts and alcoholics, I have to say that your hyperbole is entirely false.

And as to hinting at the fact that I'm an alcoholic, I resent that a bit. I'm most definetly a lush, and I realize that fact, but you're also addressing someone who went three months of unemployment doing next to nothing, and who drank perhaps a handful of times during that entire period, and the only times that were more than a beer or glass of wine were when my college buddies came into town to visit and we drank together. I am a social drinker.

Croup, I think you're getting at what I'm feeling about it--I can drink and stay under control, and in this case, I won't be running to the bar and throwing down tequila shots. More likely it'll be a bottomless glass of whatever's good on tap. Crawling home isn't on the docket, but letting my hair down and getting to know my coworkers certainly will be.

EDIT: For the record, I've got a fair idea of how I'm going to act/what I'm going to do (pretty much follow suit with my coworkers while making a point of avoiding all hard liquor). I'm more curious to see what people around here think and would do.

16. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

DC, somehow I feel that you put that last option on your poll with me in mind. If that is the case, I thank you and have used that option.

In all actuality, though, I would likely vote for either option 2 or 3. No reason not to do what the rest are doing, in moderation at first. Remember that if you go roaring into the 'getting smashed' thing, it could backfire on you later.

I'm confident that you'll figure out what to do.

17. Njx

Njx IncGamers Member

Biggest bunch of crap I've ever heard. Have you ever actually experienced cocaine, much less heroin ? I really doubt it seeing the kind of uneducated statement you made towards those drugs and comparing them with alcohol. I've sampled cocaine like DJ has, and let me tell you, it's not a drug to be messed with if you don't have a clue what your doing. ( Most everybody). It's pretty easy to sprial down and lose everything you have and not even realize it. You start selling your tv, xbox, snowboard, bike just because you say to yourself, I'd rather just get high. SHOW ME AN ALCOHOLIC THAT WOULD DO THIS. If you ever said that on a board such as Bluelight that I visit, a harm reduction site, you would be beat on with stupid sticks for all eternity.

I realize I may have come off harsh but if you really haven't tried a drug and become involved with it, say how you did with alcohol, you really have no basis to make those statements, unless you like being called out on things :D.
    Carry on.

18. HAMC8112

Actually it was this that i wanted to avoid with my comment, i see now it was another futile attempt.
    I am sorry that you think that i was hinting on something concerning your personal life, i had no intention of doing so.

19. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

No worries--I wasn't certain that implying anything was your intention, but it did seem to come off that way. Water under the bridge. And I know I come off as a trouble case a lot, but in reality I'm a lot more responsible about my drinking than I seem. After having done the things I've done and sampled the things I've sampled, I have a pretty fair respect for substances and substance abuse, and as a result I don't take it too well when anyone who does not know me personally or very well tries to pigeonhole me as an alcoholic. Sorry if I immediately flew onto the offensive, but when you've spent as many years as I have with the kind of reputation for drinking that I carry, you get cornered and lectured by a lot of random people who are out on a mission and have no idea what they're talking about.

20. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

In HAM's defense, DC, really...don't you think your login name might, er, lead one to believe that alcohol perhaps forms a major part of your lifestyle?