Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Getting/Giving Power Level Etiquette and tips?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Flux, May 15, 2014.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Had a guy offer me and another dude power leveling tonight, and it went bad quickly. So I'm wondering if people who do it regularly, giving or receiving, have tips or rules or etiquette people could learn from? Obviously it's an issue in HC since mistakes can't happen.

The guy tonight was trying to farm A4 hellrift on T3, in a lvl 60 game. Me and the other guy he invited were lvl 22ish. So the theory is we stay by the waypoint or way back and soak up the shared exp and the level 60 helps a little and the lvl 70 does most of the work and soaks up gold and legs.

The problem was the guy was all hyper and flailing around typical wizard style and kept missing trash mobs. And a lvl 22 in a T3 level 60 game, anything will one shot you. So me and the other 20 went running up when he said he'd reached the portal to lvl 2, and the other guy runs right into some crawling thing, which one shots him from like 8k hps. I saw it and vaulted away, but it would certainly have killed me too, since I had lower hps than he did.

So who is at fault here, in the powerleveling rules? Should I kick the guy from the clan for being a dumbass? And is trying to leech in a much higher level game just generally a really bad idea for HC, and if you want to power level you create it at your level, on T6, for more margin for error?

2. ClaytonH

ClaytonH IncGamers Member

Hey Flux

My mates and I have to do this every now and then, and I've done it for (and had it done for me) by others who I have met here on the forums and such.

We typically run at T6 at the lowest hero's level. So if we have a 22, a 60 and a 70, the 22 starts a T6 and the others run him picking up loot every 10/15 levels or so to throw down the highest Vit items we have found so that the levellee can revamp his slots and ensure survival. This is the safest way, although it may not always be the fastest.

Bringing a level 22 into a high torment high level game is asking to be killed. Sometimes people simply cannot get all the mobs and stop them from getting at least one shot in. Plus, various environmental effects and ranged effects from elites will just kill you. I took my level 13 hero into a level 50ish game the other day, stood waaaay away from anything dangerous, and just died from nothing. Others who were with me said there were no effects nearby, no ranged attacks I hadnt seen, I just died. So yeah, pretty much anything will kill you.

From the levellee's side, it is your job to stay as safe and as tanky as humanly (nephalemly?!) possible. Stay alive, or you are wasting the leveller's time and efforts.

From the leveller's side, it is your job to keep the levellee as safe as possible. That means playing efficiently but methodically, ensureing that nothing gets past you, don't leave him behind and let ghosts come through walls, warn of environmental dangers even if you think the other guy saw them. No such thing as being too safe. Above all, do not let the levellee get killed by something preventable because you are just wasting your time and the levellee's time if you do. A big part of that is not being erratic, and just making sure you've cleared before moving on.

So to answer the question in your last paragraph re who is at fault... pretty much all of you except the level 60 guy :) The game was at his level, he could obviously stay alive, and the 70's playstyle probably wasnt so dangerous for him. The 22s should NOT have joined such a high level game because death is far too easy to achieve, and the 70 should have played more carefully to at least minimise the risk of death to the low level guys.

Thats my two cents anyway, not sure if others feel differently.

3. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Well, what is etiquette? Usually the power leveler wants to genuinely help the low level guy, so that should be a given.

Choosing the power level strategy is more the responsibility of the low level guy, he has to weigh the risk/reward. I prefer to take slightly longer and make it through 100%, others go all-out and try the fastest way, even if they have to do it multiple times.

People are still searching for fast and safe methods, I've only done it on one character so far and we kept trying different things. Reset a certain bounty, too time consuming. Try a torment game on a high level and lay back as you've described. Ended up quite funny:

- Powerleveler
    - level 54 (brother of power leveler)
    - level 40
    - level 1 (me)

We go out of Tristam and shortly after I notice a mortar pack (circles start being shown on the ground). I *just* managed to avoid the bombs and ran all the way back to town, the other two got one-shot SPLATSCH. Pretty funny PK between brothers there ;) So after that we made Ghom games at the lowest level at T6, that was pretty safe.

Method I'm preferring currently is to switch to your low level after completing a rift. Doesn't take extra time away from your main char, 100% safe and reasonably fast. At level 50 you get about 1 level after each T2 rift, currently at level 67 it takes almost 3 rifts per level. So this method will take approx 50 rifts to get from 0 to 70 (wild guess but shouldn't be that far off), depending on torment level ofcourse. If you can do T3 or higher it should be less.

4. ClaytonH

Oh hey Grish. *ahem.. cough... fire grates... cough*

:p

5. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Ha that wasn't me! Forgot who it was, was someone on this forum though!

Since D3 came out I actually only ripped once during levelling and that was when a giant lag spike hit my lvl 33 WD just as those exploding gobbies in keeps 2 came running into sight. After lag ended I was looking at the deeds screen ^^

6. Aahzmadius

Aahzmadius IncGamers Member

I'm with Clayton and Grishok on this one. I haven't done any power-leveling in RoS, although I've heard about different strategies. (I think we'll all find out more tomorrow, if my sources are accurate.) Like Gris, I took Young's suggestion of switching after rifts, and I love that with alts. I combine that with storing up Horadric Caches so when the alt hits 70, there's a safe way to equip them. I posted my Crusader recently on that thread; she has 0 monster kills, but is reasonably equipped for probably Master difficulty from opening 40 caches, cheap enchanting of rares, and <100 blood shards of gambling.

But I digress. If you have to power-level someone, the leveller should take extra care to monitor the environment and mobs, trying kill every single monster before it can reach the levellee(s). I did a fair amount of it pre-RoS, and I got it wrong a few times before getting better at it. I wouldn't kick the guy from the clan (yet), but it does sound like he needs to refine his technique.

7. ClaytonH

Haha, I could have sworn it was you! It must have been Vega or Towen... was so funny since we had JUST had a conversation about not doing that

8. Young

Young IncGamers Member

If you want to power level, the safest way is to have the lowest level (usually starting at 1) create a T6 game on quest mode with Rumford at the gates. Clear the zombies through the ruins, kill the queen, the kill Dalton in Adrias Hut. At that point, Press M and teleport to town (you won't have unlocked the actual teleport yet so pressing T does nothing). Do not go above the hut because you will get swarmed by zombies.

Do this until level 50 or 60, at which point just swap characters to receive rift exp all the way to 70.

Rift exp turn in is pretty bad for levels 1-50 ish and I'd rather put that towards my paragon leveling.

9. ematanis

ematanis IncGamers Member

We have a boosting community in EU HC , called "got boosted" , we have few methods for fast safe boosting from level 1 to 70 in a matter of an hour and a half or 2 hours.

What we do is the bounty Cursed Chest in Damp Cellar in the Old Ruins , simply have a group of 3 level 1 split each creating their own Torment 6 games in Adventure Mode and whoever spawns the bounty invites the other 2 guys to his game , then they announce in the chat that they need a booster for ccor(cursed chest old ruins) and they state the level because not all boosters can handle any level T6 , a booster hops in and runs to the Damp Cellar and they all teleport to him and they wait at the entrance while he goes through and activates the chest and kills as many mobs as he can , this can be repeated all the way to 70 , at level 60+ it gets alittle bit harder for the booster and gear is required , I usually boost from 1 to 65 at T6 and then from 66 to 70 at T4 , boosters should be wary of the game scaling up , if you join level 67 and you are level 70 the game will scale up at level 70 , so the booster should be able to handle level 70 T3-4 from 67 and up.

Hell Rift is now not a good place to boost because the XP was nerfed from the bounty itself and there is a pack spawning and it can be dangerous , Loyal Hermit is also dead now because blizzard added spider eggs and spiders before the caverns so it can't be used for easy xp and gold anymore.

We are also developing a new method for boosting but it depends on the party members having atleast 1 level 70 that can handle master/torment 1.

Flux if you want to see how all this works maybe you should hop on to EU and create a HC character there and contact me , I will invite you to our community(3rd biggest EU HC Community , I am an officer in it) and I will show you the ropes.

ematanis#2121 is my btag

Edit : Oh btw this is done everyday all day on EU and it is a Win-Win situation for the guys getting boosted and the booster because it gives good amount of gold and at higher levels Xp , I got 3-4 paragon levels today from 191 to 195 by just boosting players in 60+ ccor runs for 2 hours non stop.

10. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

I did ALMOST die on a grate when I was farming with you and your friends, we can go through the old forum posts to find the one who died a few times on them :) Wasn't it TDS?

11. Yoo

Yoo IncGamers Member

My method is close to others but slightly different. Mainly for 1-60~.

The lowest level character starts T6 games looking for these bounties: (invites group after if they aren't there already)
    1. Clear Cryder's Outpost
    2. Clear the Forward Barracks
    3. Clear the Khazra Den
    4. Clear the Hell Rift

The levelee's all teleport to town in the act appropriate for the bounty. Booster clears a safe space in the area to be cleared. Levelee's banner in and then TP back to town. Booster clears the area for obscene bounty reward.
    The amount received slows in the later 50's to one or two levels per bounty. The bonus to this is that around 50+ the exp is very good for the booster too (~lvl 60 game is some 60m exp and 250k gold, prepatch). Takes an hour odd to lvl 61. After 60 the mobs can begin to have alot of hp so the booster will have to have gear necessary to kill and live.

A separate and extremely safe strategy can be used for exp/gold farming on your main character.

1. You need two accounts. Your second account will have a character lvl'd to your ideal clear speed/difficulty. So if you can clear a lvl 60 area fast, make the alternate account character lvl 60.
    2. Create games looking for the bounties listed above. If you find the bounty on the main account invite your Alt and set them to lead. Then exit the party on your main and rejoin.
    3. Make sure your alternate is in a different act than the bounty.
    4. Clear the bounty on your main.
    5. At level 60 its easy and risk free 60m exp + 250k gold per bounty.

I like the cursed cellar idea Ematanis, the levelee's can stand in the doorway without much risk since the zombies are soo slow.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  12. ClaytonH

13. Yoo

Yoo IncGamers Member

I should add that at level 70 (softcore) people clear these bounties only for billions of exp/hour. Level 70 T6 these bountes are 82m exp + 420k gold.

Also it is preferential to make your alt level 61 so that legendaries can be made into souls!

14. Flux

Flux Administrator

Ironically, I was doing this on EU. I play on US and EU since I'm the head of the IncHC clan on both and like some variety in my play time.

I got back on a couple of hours later and the guy who had died was back up to level 45 with a Crusader, and still in a party with the same 2 other guys, including the messy eater of a lvl 70 wizard, so I guess they worked out a better strategy going forward.

15. Steven Hazani

Steven Hazani IncGamers Member

It really depends on how well people know what they're doing. If the powerleveler understands this isn't a usual farm, and the low levels make the game and don't hug the mobs it's fast and efficient. If any of these aren't true, just go rubies and hellfire, it will be quicker and less painful.

16. Solwolf

Solwolf Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

I generally PA someone by having them create a t6 game, then seek out all the clear cursed chests/shrines bounties in the game. First clear a safe spot for the PA-ee, have him or here tele to the safe spot, then start the cursed cleansing. Great, safe exp both for the kills and for the bounty. Rinse, repeat.

One note of caution, be extra careful in a2 bounties since Lacuni can jump when they spawn and roflstomp your PA-ee.

17. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Quoted for truth !!! Ive actually started from Quest 1 Act1 and get the Zomies at the gate and Leahs quest for even moor exp !! Takes about an hour to get to level 50 or higher ....

18. Thordalis

Thordalis IncGamers Member

Hello everybody. I've been lurking on the main site and on this forum since the release of RoS.

I play on EU and had a friend who is a member of the "got boosted" community help me level a wizard (from 1 to 62).
    The cursed cellar bounty cited by Ematanis is a really safe and fast way to do that.

Unfortunately, the elite who spawn among the other mobs to defend the chest wandered to the entrance once even though he was getting bombarded by meteors.
    There were 3 of us standing in the entrance. We first tried dodging him but he killed one of us. We panicked and tried getting out, only to be greeted by a bunch of white T6 mobs on the other side. My companion died rapidly, I procced Unstable Anomaly, got back in and was able to teleport around thanks to Illusionist and managed to survive that fight.

Long story short, don't hesitate to clean around the cellar door if you're the leveller, it might be very rarely important, but when it is, it might save some lives :)

Ematanis, if you're still around, how well geared do you have to be to handle ccor from 1 to 60ish ? I'm thinking of returning the favor now that my character enjoyed the anniversary buff ! I'll had my BattleTag to my Profile.

EDIT: Here is a quick link : http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Thordalis-2514/hero/16189300