Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Getting back into shape

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Riegn, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Riegn

Riegn IncGamers Member

Getting back into shape

Well once upon of time I was in great shape. Ran 5km min every day and had done a few half marathons. Was in the gym and played alot of Hockey. I had alot going on. Now im not exactly out of shape but I do miss being able to see a six pack, and not get out of breath so quickly. I want to get back to the way I was. One slight problem. Iv blow out both my knees, Torn ligaments (sp) in my angles, and have racked up a concussion history that would make a boxer proud (9). I have a very difficult time running and I cannot do any sports involving any chance of another concussion. I still live a healthy lifestyle, eat well do not drink overly often but this just does not cut it for me. Are their any decent exercies I can do with my wrecked body to get myself back to the way or close to the way I was?

2. zelfmoordis

zelfmoordis IncGamers Member

Swimming?!

:wave:

3. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

What are your goals? Do you want to be big, beefy and muscular like me? :) Or do you want to be lean, trim and cut? Do you want a lot of strength or just a good looking body? Do you want a weightlifter's body or a runner's body? What kind of exercises do you like to do? I can give you lots of advice, but I need to know what your aims are.

4. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

*coughGreen tea extract threadcough*
    If you only need muscle tone and not respitatory(you know, lung capacity and red blood cells) enhancement just plain crunches and pushups could do, but as to burning fat... dunno...
    *cough*
    Damn bad weather...

@Anakha: don't want to work out, eating on a students budget is hard enough as it is :)

5. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Simple weight lifting will burn calories, but slower. When I started getting into shape a couple years ago, I never did any cardio and I dropped 15 lbs over 2 months just by knowing what to eat and hitting the weights. It's not quite as a effective or fast, but it can work.

Burning fat is fairly simple. Calories burned > calories stored = weightloss. The problem with this is that you hit a plateau without exercise and you'll lose muscle by dieting and doing too much cardio as well. Muscle itself burns calories simply by existing. The more muscle you have the easier it is to keep weight off, so it's always good to pack on the muscle in addition to proper diet and cardio. DON'T diet. Just change your diet to eat the correct foods (I'm not directing this to the thread starter, just anyone else who might be reading this).

6. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

I was going to suggest getting a DRR pad, but if you're worried about bouncing around, I dunno . . .

7. Crimh

Crimh IncGamers Member

Well, it all depends on what you want really..

Granted I don't know what kind of problems you have with your knees, but in general, biking is a good way to get around the bad knee part. Also, you get insane lungcapacity, stamina and a nice firm butt *twinkles*

But I guess combinations is what you might need the most, biking and swimming perhaps? I guess weightlifting would work except for the 'breath' part.

8. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

I too need to get back into shape . I used to run 3 times a week and lift weights the other 2 days . Problem is I cant find a pill or any other product that will lift my motivation to a lvl where I will be consistant with it . Ill start the process of walking , then about a week into it I just give up and say screw it . Hence my 165 lbs plumeted to 205 lbs and im only 5'7' tall . Not good . I recently went to the Dr and they did blood work and said my sugar was high too . I really need some motivation to get back in shape . Just turned 33 in January and im sure it doesnt get any easier from here on out . Perhaps I need to toss this D2 disk in the trash and get back in shape as Im sure its the root of all evil in my life ...

9. Oberammergau

Oberammergau IncGamers Member

I got a bowflex recently and its REALLY working. Swimming is also a great way to get into shape.

10. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

I thought about excercising to get that six pack ab look.

But decided to just get a six pack of Beer instead. :drink:

11. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

i get out of breath going up some stairs. im fat.

12. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Swimming is good, and it doesn't seem like you can get hurt from it. That's a lot of concussions tho, christ. Have you gone to a doctor concerning them (not like when you had one and then went to a doctor, have you ever said: "Hey I've had 9 concussions! Is there something wrong?) ?

I just don't want to recommend swimming if a wave hits you on the head and you get knocked out and drown, you know what I mean? I did boxing for about 5 years, and I never got a concussion (thank god, they sound scary).

13. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

You and me both :buddies:

I thought about getting into shape once, but I realized that drinking and smoking are much easier than running. Besides nicotene is a good appetite suppresent; unlike the doobie (or so I've been told).

But swimming is good for cardio and easy on the joints.

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

It's a very good exercise, second only to running. But personally I hate swimming. But that's because I don't swim. I sink. SPLASHTHUD *sound of me hitting the bottom* ...gurgle...

15. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

Get a job that pays really low, you're sure to have all kinds of activity there

16. SomeCanadianGuy

SomeCanadianGuy IncGamers Member

You know why buddy? That's because you've got such a small body fat to mass ratio (or something like that. There isn't enough fat on you to keep you afloat.). Same problem as me, but brought on for different reasons. Me because my high metabolism burns up all the excess and keeps me too damn skinny, you because of your training and raw buffness. You sexy beast, you! :teeth:

17. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Swimming second to running? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

AHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Nah.

Start out with this workout.

200 yard Free (Warmup)

4 - 100 yard Free (rest 30 seconds in between each 100)

6 - 50 yard Free (rest 30 seconds between each 50)

10 - 25 yard Free kick (use kickboard, make those legs burn. Believe me, you will feel it after the first lap)

200 yard free (warmdown)

Do this 3 times a week for a month. If it becomes too easy, just let me know, heh, and I will work out another one for you.

18. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Depends on how you design and do the run. ;)

SCG: You make my mitochlorians tingle. :wink2:

19. SomeCanadianGuy

SomeCanadianGuy IncGamers Member

Whozza wazza? I don't seem to remember mitochlorians from my Sec. 3 biology class, you buff geek you. And I mean that in the most seductive way possible, Anakwantinurpants.

20. Oberammergau

Oberammergau IncGamers Member

Make sure that if you DO go with that swimming regiment to bring a snack of some sort because I can guarantee you that you will be STARVING when you come out of the changing room.