Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Getting back into HC.. need a bit of advice.

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by princesspk, Oct 21, 2006.

1. princesspk

princesspk IncGamers Member

Getting back into HC.. need a bit of advice.

After over a year of absence I just dusted off my CD's and decided to start playing HC again. Got my way quickly through norm to unlock hardcore and now I'm puzzling over the best first character.

I went for a melee javazon with charged strike and lightning strike as the main damage skills, and a heavy focus on passive skills to stay alive. I've done such a build a long time ago and with high-end gear it was working wonderfully well. Thing is, at low levels without mana/life leech I have an extremely low damage output and a growing addiction to red potions. I'm now lvl 11 and getting through the jail but I'm taking a serious beating from the skeleton mages. I switch back and forth between a spear and jav-and-board configurations (because I do a puny 4-9 melee with the jav) so I basically weaken the ennemies by flinging a few javelins at them and then jump in to finish them with my spear. Works well, except for ranged ennemies.

I play essentially solo (and untwinked, since it's the first char). Did I pick a bad build to start out? My goal is to get her through NM and up to lvl 70 or so and to start mephin in NM to get some gear for upcoming characters. I know charged strike to be a wicked boss killing skill when it's leveled, but right now I'm havin a rough time. Should I press on or re-roll into another character? I was thinking maybe a frenzy/singer barb would be interesting to play too, but figured it wouldn't be viable in HC without good gear.

Thanks for any tips you can give me... in the meantime I'll go try to finish act 1 :undecided:

EDIT: Oh and I don't like trapsins at ALL, so don't suggest that Oo. I know they're easy to play and all that but they're also the most boring build ever. I used that to get through norm quickly and I'm already bored.

2. shag

shag IncGamers Member

Personally, for a 'Javazon', I'd go for a shield (especially in HC) and have Lightning Fury as main skill (against monsters). Charged Strike as boss killer, and Lightning Strike as monster killer when close-range.

In HC, going two-handed can be dangerous for a 'zon, and you're focusing on lightning, no? So why not equip a shield and be able to what you wanted and more.

Against lightning immunes all you need is a point into jab and a decent mercenary.

I started HC with this kind of Javazon and have been quite successful so far. Focused on life and resistance, and blocking. I put a point into all Passive's (Decoy and Valkyrie help a lot with distracting monsters, never been a fan of Valkyrie though so I only allocated a point for that simple reason).

Hope that helped.

Btw, playing a Javazon has been the most fun I've had playing in a while (or it could be because HC is actually thrilling compared to SC :tongue:).

3. Rekoc

Rekoc IncGamers Member

Trapsin is good first char. Mf nm eld/shenk/pindle and baal

I just started up again and my first char was a blizz/tk sorc. Run normal baal for a while get a few good items to make sure you have nice resist in nm...then run nm meph for a while then eventualy nm baal.

Summonnecro is awesome.

Javazon.

Hammerdin.

4. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

LF zons are cake, good starter class. The lack of LL/ML does infact suck, so supliment your gear with saphire sockets.

5. tomatoman

tomatoman IncGamers Member

all chars getting through the end of act 1 untwinked have a problem, just stick with it and get light fury, then youll be addicted to blue pots :eek:

6. princesspk

My attempt to clear act 1 actually turned out pretty well..

I got into a big party and kinda leeched on for andy :embarassed: ... But that allowed me to get to lvl 16 and then I ran countess a few times to get runes for the stealth runeword (armor), which surprisingly was enough to get me one level farther. After sewers I'm now 18 and with two Tir runes in my shield I can use either jab (for single monsters) and charged strike (finally! for the big packs) for the left mouse button configuration without any need for mana potions. Looks like this build might be viable after all, I'm not really doubtful anymore. The way up to 14 was rough but then it all suddenly got a whole lot easier.

Besides, I love the playing style you get with that character so it should prove to be a fun one to level. Now I can dump a lot of points into CS, and getting through norm shouldn't be too hard if I can find a life leeching javelin to jab at bosses with.

7. tomatoman

tomatoman IncGamers Member

charged strike will destroy bosses.
    just make sure your lightning resist is as high as you can get it before taking on diablo.

8. Rekoc

Rekoc IncGamers Member

Lighting resist is just half of it because half of that attack is also physical.

9. princesspk

Just reached the lower kurast area... Had a real rough fight against Duriel and had to tp back to town to resurect merc a few times (he'd chop my life right in half with one hit, and i spent all the juv's i had saved up since act 1).

I'd say I'll live to see nightmare. Right now my resists are 61 fire - 59 cold - 75 light - 75 psn (ancient's pledge :p) and I'm at 260 life. Not so bad, but I'm really afraid of the dolls I'll encounter in the Durance since I have to fight melee 99% of the time and throw light bolts when I really need to step back. I think fighting my way through this place will be a lot of standing back and letting the merc do the killing. After that I know the oblivion knights will be a pain in the butt, but heh what can i do about it. I'll have to throw more javs :thumbsup:

And dmg is around 300 with charged strike if all three bolts hit the same target. I'm dumping a lot of points into passives to get all my dodge/avoid/evade up to 40% each, and then I'll get a good valk for an extra meat shield. I decided to sacrifice some damage for an extra safety buffer and more passive skills.

If anybody cares to play around in act 3, account name is *PPK (and I'm no PK, as here it goes for Parkour aka the urban jumping sport. Me and my friends have a team called Power Parkour.)

10. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

Those runewords are invaluable to an untwinked player, simply because they are so reliable.

Lore I also found to be a really nice headpeice, just because its quite utilitarian.

With Pledge/Lore/ you have decent res, which frees up your ammy spots for something tastey in the ways of +skill.

The one thing you might want to see if you can negate is the life for a couple of reasons :

If you ever get attacked by a player, that would last all of 1/2 a second before you went down (not much chance of this)

If you lag (big chance of this) it very well may save you.

11. SmilingEvil

SmilingEvil IncGamers Member

My first getting-back-into-HC character was a Hammerdin. Until that ****ing spider in the Spider Cavern ate him.

I always forget how evil that bastard is until he's killed me at least once recently.

So now I've got a Summoner Necromancer, and I've just killed Diablo and am about to head into Act 5 for the first time in three years or so. Whee!