Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Getting a new comp, need help with selecting parts.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by korialstraz, Nov 26, 2008.

1. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

Re: Getting a new comp, need help with selecting parts.

Thanks for the comments Dondrei. :thumbup:

Nah not too late yet. I sent a mail to get feedback from the seller, and to find out what it will cost, so tips are still welcome. I'll get back to you guys with a more thorough reply once I get a reply from the seller :nod:

2. korialstraz

So it turns out the guy couldn't get the parts much cheaper than I can get from online stores (which I didn't expect), but I was a bit surprised that he could not put it together and all that stuff, since they didn't support the case or some such. He said he'd do some more research on the case and PSU though, and that he'd get back to me. I donn't expect to get it a lot cheaper which is why I'm going to look into ordering all the components today/tomorrow (hopefully). Only thing is I'm having a hard time finding a place they sell the PSU. I (think) I found it one place, but it says OCZ TECH OCZ 750W PCP&C Silencer 750 Quad (Black). Is OCZ and PCP&P working together or is it not the same as blackrocksword suggested? I've found it on 2 sites actually, and both under the OCZ brand. So is it the same or?

And if I can order it tomorrow I can expect to get all parts within a weeks time. The site says 1-3 days, and one actually says within 42-78 hours, though I'm not sure if I believe that. Anyway just want to make sure I get the right PSU ;D

3. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Not sure about the PSU, you'd better check it out.

If it were me I'd just assemble it myself, it's pretty easy.

4. korialstraz

I researched the PSU some more, and found a norwegian site that compares prices from different places, and they had the PCP&P brand 750 Silencer, and one of the links was to the exact same I had which was the OCZ PCP&P one. And checking out some other sites I came up with what seemed to me like the same PSU's, so I went with that.

I've ordered all parts now btw, so just waiting for them to arrive. When it does I'll take several pics and post them ofc.

Again thanks a lot for all the help. It's really helped me a lot with finding parts for the comp. I really appreciate all the help! You guys are great :thumbsup: :fire:

5. korialstraz

Ok so my parts finally arrived on wednesday this week, and I spent most of the evening assembling and starting to install it. On thursday I finished most of the installations with the exception of updating all drivers. My wireless network was acting strange so I put it off while installing other programs I needed. After some time a couple friends asked if I wanted to join them on a game of WC3, and having installed all the drivers and the comp working I couldn't refuse to offer. Anyway after the game I went to download all the newest drivers, only halfway through the download of the GPU driver I lost connection to the wireless network. I tried to reboot which didn't work, so I tried to look at different settings without finding any good answer to why I couldn't connect. It wasn't the routers fault either, since the people I live with had no problems. Ok so I'll try another reboot. Didn't work. Last try, shut off the comp then turn it back on, although when turning it back on I didn't recieve a video signal. The fans was on and my DVD-ROM was responding, but no signal. After trying to boot a couple times more I realized it just wouldn't work, so I tried to look for a solution, but so far no luck. I have no reason to believe it is hardware related, since it did work for several hours without problems, so I'm assuming it's something simple that I overlooked. At least I hope so.

Solutions tried that failed:

My GPU has 2 DVI connectins, and it came with a DVI to VGA adapter and a DVI to HDMI adapter. I don't have an HDMI cable though. I tried to first connect the monitor to 1 of the DVI connections which didn't work. Tried the second one, no improvement. Tried using a VGA cable and the DVI to VGA adapter, still doesn't work. At this point I assume it is not a monitor or cable problem, but still the GPU could be broken. I highly doubt that though, since it worked flawelessly prior to this problem.

Shut down the comp, disconnect the power cable for a few seconds, plug it back in and boot. Didn't work.

Shut down PC, disconnect power cable to the PSU and the cables from the PSU to the GPU, wait a few seconds, then connect it again. Didn't work.

At this point I called it a night and went to bed. After all I have work today. I've been searching google and a norwegian website for solutions, and came up with several other options to try and solve the problem.

Possible solutions:

Check all cables and jumpers to find out if all are connected properly.

Cear CMOS and if that solved the problem, flash the BIOS asap.

Disconnect RAM, HDD, DVD and WLAN, try to boot and see what happens. If the computer boots, I guess I should connect everything back in this order: HDD, RAM (1 at the time), DVD and WLAN. Or is there a different order I should try?

I also heard that ASUS motherboards do not like OCZ RAM. If the comp decides to work with 1 RAM for example, someone suggested to manually configure the response time and voltage settings in BIOS for my RAM, instead of having it on auto.

So far that is the possible things for me to try, but does anyone else know of other stuff I should try? Keeping in mind I have no way of testing seperate parts in a different comp since the parts are not compatible/does not fit in my old comp/case. Also testing another GPU is a real hassle, and if possible I'd try to avoid that. I have no way of testing a different PSU without getting a new one, so that would be a last resort if everything else fails.

Oh and if it'll help the final specs I landed on are:

Case: Antec 1200
    Motherboard: ASUS S-775 P45 P5Q3
    GPU: GeForce GTX 280
    PSU: Intel E8500 3,16 GHz dual core
    RAM: OCZ DDR3 2 GB (x2)
    HDD: Samsung 1 TB 7,2k RPM
    PSU: PCP&P Silencer 750w Quad
    WLAN: Some Linksys card or another. Don't remember.

Also I'd like to thank you all again for the great help, and I did take some pics while assembling it, and I will be posting them as soon as I can :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  6. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

It can be anything, but my guess is that the wlan card got fried when you where downloading the drivers, where did you order the parts from? You should contact them to get the problem fixed.

(and why didn't you use HW for this kind of questions)

- D.J.

7. korialstraz

Well I guess the wireless card could have been fried, but the card isn't that old either, and before this it was never a problem. The card is a year old though, but I thought they usually last longer than that. The parts was ordered from a norwegian website, but the wireless card isn't, so I'd need to replace it if that's the problem. And that wouldn't be a big deal wither. I didn't think a fried wireless card could prevent a comp from booting though. Also I haven't contacted the anyone from where I bought the parts yet, since there are several solutions that is not related to hardware failure that could solve the problem. I have yet to try them, and since I won't be home this weekend I will only be able to try out the different solutions on sunday. I was just hoping for some thoughts on how to fix this so I can have a list of stuff to try when I get home. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll try and see if the wireless card is the problem, and that is the 1 part I can actually try in my old comp.

Also what is HW? Is it a different website, or am I just blind and we have a hardware subforum here? :crazyeyes:

8. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

You just take out the wireless card to see if it's the problem, you don't need it to boot the computer. and HW.no is the name of the norwegian site you where using to find the best prices (probably, as they have the best service there), the same with the ram, just take out something untill the computer boots.

- D.J.

9. korialstraz

Seems I needed to remove the wireless card and clear CMOS for the comp to boot. The little I tried indicated it works like normal now. I will probably get a new card tomorrow, and hopefully be able to really test this comp for gaming. Thanks for the help :)

I didn't use hw.no, but I did make a post on diskusjon.no :p

Oh btw, I'll get those pics up soon, and then post 'em here for anyone who is interested.

10. BlueDogAnchorite

BlueDogAnchorite IncGamers Member

Good luck, personally I'm awaitng the next line of I7(nehalem) to come out and drop in price.

Yeah there's really not much of a noticeable difference between the harddrive brands, I would recommend seagate above all though becasue I think their warranty is longer.