Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Get your politics off my science

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anyee, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Get your politics off my science

Unlike peanut butter and chocolate, politics and science do NOT mix well together. Case in point: Bush has replaced two members of a science advisory board because, god forbid, they disagree with him. Okay, fine...But if that wasn't insulting enough, he replaced a cell biology expert (one of the most respected in her field) and a senior bioethicist with...a government professor and a political scientist. Even better, he did this on a Friday night while Congress was in recess, so no one could DARE challenge his authoritative will.

I see...because, you know, someone who studies polling is expertly qualified to deal with high-level molecular biology and has an intimate knowledge of the human body's workings. What a load of crap. Is Bush so afraid of facts and debate that he has to appoint yes-men to ensure his will be done, on earth and in heaven?

2. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

Well no one said that Bush was ever the smartest guy on Earth either.

3. th5418

th5418 Banned

Wow, I didnt think Bush was THAT dumb.

4. Maverikk

Maverikk IncGamers Member

Be careful. Bush might fire you too.

5. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

Yeah that's a good point. I'm technically a government employee since I'm a teacher in a public school. Oh well.

Hey devil post #666. :yep:

6. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Now c'mon, are you really surprised? Being truthful, fair, and equitable has never been a strong aspect of Dubya.

My way or the highway ...

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

oh man, I need some reeses

8. publius

publius IncGamers Member

Interesting, this happens not long after this has begun circulating the news.

9. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

You have no many idea how many people have problems with my science.

10. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Yeah, I was more upset last Friday when Bush appointed Pickering to the bench. But, I can see how changing the folks on an advisory council about a topic that is in its infancy is more of a reason to throw a tizzy. Actually, I can't. Oh well, choose your battles, I guess.

11. Mister 4

Mister 4 IncGamers Member

George Bush: thinking "Golly, these sciency things sure are hard... Since I'm in politics, I'll hire a political scientist to be on my advisory board. Lesse who can go... here we are! I can't pronounce what this person does, so I'll get rid of them. Whoo! All this thinkin' dun made me tired..."

I think this sucks.

12. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

Oh man, Ben Carson! Don't mess with him, he'll whup your ***! One out of three isn't bad.

13. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Do advisory councils advise the president? You'd think President Bush would want people advising him that he agrees with. Just a thought though.

14. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Well, it's a sad thing indeed. Bush seems mighty shady to do something like this.

I mean, either this guy is incredibly brilliant in his devices, or he's a complete and total moron.

15. AeroJonesy

Oh yeah, as to the Friday night thing, the democrats can shoulder some, or most of that blame. Since they don't let Bush's nominations in, and fillibuster them for 3 years and all, they should really expect some sort of secrecy when Bush tries to fill positions. They've shown their stance that Bush will not get his people into office, so Washington democrats have no right to complain when Bush bypasses their BS.

16. Sp4rtacus

Sp4rtacus IncGamers Member

kill them all!

17. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

If you believe that, then science isn't what they are advising him on. Perhaps he should appoint a few fundamentalists on the council and just dispense with any notion that it is scientific.

18. AeroJonesy

I do believe that. And yes, I also believe that science isn't what they are advising him on. When you have scientists advising politicians, you can't expect much scientific activity.

19. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

I was expecting that the scientists could differentiate between cloning a human being and cloning a spleen, so the mad scientist stigma could fall away. They could advise him on trends and diseases, potential cures and quackery, better than someone well versed only in public policy could.

This comes up all the time. The FDA has no right, in my mind, to ban an abortion pill merely because Bush doesn't like any sort of abortion. Since abortion is legal and the pill is relatively safe for the woman (though toxic for the fetus), the pill should be allowed. That's what the FDA is there for: to judge if a drug is safe, not to judge if that drug will offend the president.

If the FDA were really so concerned about the fetus, though, they would have banned Acutane (an anti-acne drug now under review) decades ago. It is one of the most teratogenic (dangerous to the unborn) products on the market, but its popularity kept it insulated from critics. Hypocrisy is teh win.

Edit: Mac, I heard about that judge replacement, but I was counting on llad or Plum to bring it up. This one is closer to my area of expertise, thus I chose it.

20. toader

toader Banned

What were the scientists that were replaced working on? What are some of the major projects or whatnot they were dealing with their named replacement couldnt continue?

These people hardly ever come up in the news, so I honestly have no idea what they were working on, or what they might have been in the middle of.

What kind of impact have these scientists that got released made lately? Anything?