Geomancer

DwayneGAnd

Diabloii.Net Member
What makes the Druid's elemental spells unique among mages is that they actually can actually deal physical damage. If not for the physical damage portion of some spells, and the annoying timer with each spell, this would be my favorite fire build. Also, my dad is really into volcanoes, so this is a build he would really enjoy if he had actually played the game. The storm side of the elemental tree appeals more to me since I'm more into storms, especially the tornadoes. But this thread will focus on the fire side of the elemental tree and the build they work for: the geomancer.

First I pumped firestorm until fissure became available, then I maxed fissure, all while getting the other important skills such as Oak Sage and the prerequisites for Summon Grizzly. I also got Solar Creeper for corpse destruction and mana recovery. Next I will work towards maxing firestorm, then volcano, and finally molten boulder, since it is the only fire skill that has increased mana cost per level. Oak Sage will also be maxed.

Molten Boulder is fun to use against smaller enemies since it knocks them back so it keeps damaging them. It really came in handy in the tight tunnels of the Maggot Lair. In fact, I have much better aim with Molten Boulder than in five pin bowling. Together with Volcano, they can help deal with fire immunes, though volcano is better for stationary targets, though Grizzly does knock them out of harm's way which can be frustrating. Fissure is my crowd killer of choice so it's my primary right click attack while firestorm, have the lowest mana cost and cooldown timer is my left click attack. Fissure is basically a fire version of the sorceress' blizzard, with much lower mana cost, but not as powerful or as fun to use since it doesn't chill or shatter your enemies. Still a great spell though. Oak Sage is the spirit of choice due to increased life which is better for spellcasters and grizzly makes a great tank. I didn't bother getting Armageddon due to the number of prerequisites and the fact that it gives synergies only to one spell, so it would probably be a waste of points. That and the fact that the last time I made this build years ago, it has a long cooldown timer and poor reliability as it is difficult to hit enemies with. Also, I think solar creeper will give me more bang for my point when I face enemies with much higher mana in higher difficulties.

Throughout normal difficulty I used a Leaf runeword for the increased skill levels of fire skills. Very useful!

Here is my planned endgame hireling and equipment setup

Act 2 Nightmare Defensive

Andariel's Visage (life leech and increased skill levels)
Treachery (increased attack speed and chance to cast fade)
Infinity Cryptic Axe (conviction aura)

Helmet: Ravenlore (increased skill levels, energy, and reduced enemy fire resistance)
Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope (increased skill levels and resistances)
Armor: Enigma Archon Plate (increased skill levels and teleport skill)
Weapon: Heart of the Oak Flail (increased skill levels, resistances, and cast speed)
Swap Weapon: Call to Arms Flail (prebuff purposes)
Shields: 2 Spirit Monarchs (increased casting speed and skill levels)
Rings: 2 Stones of Jordan (increased skill levels and mana pool)
Belt: Arachnid Mesh (increased casting speed, mana pool, and skill level)
Boots: Silkweave (increased mana pool and mana per kill)
Gloves: Magefist (increased fire skill level, mana regeneration, and cast speed)

How does it all look? According to my notes, with all skills maxed, plus the prerequisites and the other skills I got, I'll have three points left over. Is there any need to respec and skills to get rid of? How should those remaining points be spent?

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Looking good.

If you have the wealth, you could also go for a Phoenix shield for more fire damage and mana / life recovery. This will let you kill non fire immunes faster, breakable fire immunes a lot faster, but fire immunes will take a bit longer, because your skill level on Volcano and Molten Boulder will be lower. Using this shield will enable you to get rid of the Solar Creeper and use different boots, as mana shouldn't be an issue. But I wouldn't use Solar Creeper in the first place, you should have plenty of mana with your setup in the first place.

You will need to reach level 93 to max Oak Sage, Fissure, Volcano, Molten Boulder and Firestorm and have a 1 point Grizzly. Not counting Solar Creeper that is. That's already quite high, so I wouldn't count too much on having spare skill points. If you do go beyond level 93, I'd put the points into Dire Wolves for a sturdier Grizzly.

If you have the choice, I wouldn't make CtA in a Flail, but in a Scepter or Sword instead. Reason is that many characters, including the Druid you are planning, often use HotO Flail as main weapon. That way, it's not always clear which weapon switch you are using, as they both look identical.

I would go for a Might merc instead of a Defiance one. With your killing power, the Grizzly as recastable tank and the ability to Teleport, you should be able to keep him and yourself safe. Might will mean you have a better solution to kill fire immunes. You'll need it, because there are plenty of fire immunes in Hell, and the physical portion of Molten Boulder and Volcano isn't all that impressive.

Btw, I built a very similar Druid in SP a few years ago. He didn't have a Ravenlore though, and his merc was Holy Freeze with a eth Reaper's Toll, because it was a single tree project. Since he didn't have any crowd control (Grizzly), I went for Holy Freeze and Reaper's Toll. Rereading my notes about him, it seems that he was still killing fine on /p8, except for the last 2 acts in Hell, where I tuned down to /p5. Since Fire Druids kill everything not fire immune with ease, you could consider going with an eth Reaper's Toll too, otherwise the difference in killing speed between non fire immunes and fire immunes might be a bit too high to your liking.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm, indeed my bad. Still I'd go for a Might one ... Better yet, test them both, and see what works best for you.