Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Generic Bad File

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Akagi Lone White Star, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Akagi Lone White Star

Akagi Lone White Star IncGamers Member

Generic Bad File

I have a question for offline D2:LOD single player. I recieved a messege "GENERIC BAD FILE" when trying to play my lvl. 83 paladin. This was bad because the same thing happened to my barbarian which was also lvl. 83 for some strange reason. :( My question is, is this a unrepairable error, bug or what can I do to fix this problem? Any information would be helpful. I just want to know what happened because its happened twice now.

2. sorcererbob

sorcererbob IncGamers Member

can we assume that your character is beyond retrieval? Contact Blizzard - and next time, keep a backup, even if it is HC, that way, you can keep your char if it corrupts. Make sure to delete after death, though. If it has happenned before, it will proably happen again.

To test this, maybe you should download some hacking program, create a lvl 83 char and test them in game*. If it works, then something screwey is happenning, reinstall. If it doesn't work, something screwy is happenning. Maybe in the d2char.mpq file? if you have friends with the game, download that file from their computer. if the problem persists, either keep trying with different files or simply reinstall.

*I do not, and will not advertise hacking programs, nor do i condone them. I am simply recommending them as a means to fix a problem, not to go around and hack items and characters. I am sorry if I have broken any rules and will have no objection to AlterEgo deleting this post.

3. chase_encode

chase_encode IncGamers Member

Does it load in ATMA? Or are you on a mac?
    If you have ATMA maybe there is a backup of your char you can restore from.

It seems strange that it would happen at a certain char lvl though. That to me would suggest an error (if any) would have to be in a mpq file, not a dll. You should definitly reinstall and if I were you I would copy a (trusted) friends mpq's.

Hope you get it worked out. :thumbsup:

I love the above disclaimer. :lol:

4. sorcererbob

sorcererbob IncGamers Member

thankyou very much, i thought it was stylish, but i was simply covering my bases. :D

5. the_alphabetman

the_alphabetman IncGamers Member

The only times I've gotten error messages is if I had modified the character file in some way, such as moving an item onto the character, although in that case I get a "Bad Inventory" error message. Have you done something like this?

6. Zavior

Zavior IncGamers Member

I get this too, with my paladin. THis was soon after I picked up an item and my compure crashed. Bye bye paladin :<

7. Akagi Lone White Star

Akagi Lone White Star IncGamers Member

:) Thanks for the info., I'll reinstall and see if it happens again or not. It was a shame...I had descent stuff on him too. 2 Shakos, 1 Nature's Peace Ring, Gheed's Fortune Crand Charm, 2 Combat Paladin Grand Charms, and etc. It makes me mad to think I started out from scratch. :mad: But o well it was fun when I played him. Again thanks for the help, much appreciated.

8. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

Was this a character you played on SP only, or perhaps on closed B-Net? I ask becuase perhaps you got items (ears?) from some B-net game that corrupted your file; some items that may have not been noticeably hacked or bugged may still have corrupted your character.

Steve

9. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

And yet another question, have you used any character editor with the guy? Even if just for muling purposes, this is vital information here. I don't know if there's 1.10 editors yet but I do know that using older version editors for new characters can cause problems, much like you can't open 1.10 guy in 1.09 game, versions simply don't mix that well.

Anyway, if you have used some editor to do that (or for anything else for that matter), check if that program has automatic backups, if so, revert to your backups and delete the editor. You're much better off without any of those anyway, ATMA has (or will have once Hakai's done) all the functions that one could ever want for a muling program :)

10. schkunk

schkunk IncGamers Member

I am acutally going to bump this thread, since I just got the same error.
    Singleplayer sorc, about level 75. No multiplayer/internet/ATMA whatsoever.
    Does anyone have a sulotion? Newest d2 patch btw.

11. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

(1) Have you used any third party programs or mods?
    (2) Have you had any computer crashes or power outages while playing the character?

12. schkunk

schkunk IncGamers Member

1. Nope, 101% vanilla. Absolutely no hero-editors, and I don't even use RRM/RWM.

2. Nothing like that. Other characters work fine, newly created ones aswell. Just my beloved Sorc that's unplayable.

13. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

You might want to see if someone else can get her to open. Unforunately, it looks like she may have just somehow become corrupted. (Maybe it's time to do a checkup on your hard drive?)

14. SourImplant

SourImplant IncGamers Member

Had the same problem with my Fishymancer (clvl 79 at the time) and my Wind Druid (clvl 85), both of them freezing up and crashing while in the Pit.

Took the CD out of my CD-RW drive and put it into my DVD drive, and never had the problem again.

15. EasyG

EasyG IncGamers Member

I had the same error not much time ago too and the first thing I thought is: "Oh no, have to reinstall the game."
    Last time I reinstalled it took five tries, since the original cd's are kinda old and scratchy (I took them with me to the USA during my internship there), so I decided to first try cleaning the expansion disc and that solved the problem.
    So give cleaning the expansion disc (the disc in your drive) first a try.

16. AlienBoyz

AlienBoyz IncGamers Member

Files do get corrupted occasionally. Your only solution is occasional or even regular backups.

Some operating systems and file storage systems and hardware like RAID can make things more reliable.

I wouldn't delete the corrupted file as it may be possible for someone to Hex edit it and restore the character and some/all of the items.