Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Generalized 2 element vita sorc guide

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by scwizard, Aug 7, 2010.

1. scwizard

scwizard IncGamers Member

Generalized 2 element vita sorc guide

How to respec to a vita duel element sorceress on the ladder.

Step one, pick a delay spell. Delay spells are:
    Blizzard
    Frozen Orb
    Fire Wall
    Meteor
    Hydra

Step two, pick another spell from this list that is a different element than your delay spell:
    Fireball
    Ice Blast
    Glacial Spike
    Frost Nova
    Charged Bolt
    Lightning
    Nova
    Chain Lightning

Step three, pick as many of the following one point wonders as you desire, but be warry of prereqs:
    Energy Shield
    Thunder Storm
    Static Field
    Warmth
    Frozen Armor

Step four, allocate skills in this order:
    1 Telekinesis
    1 Teleport
    1 Step one spell prereqs
    20 Step one spell
    1 Step two spell prereqs
    20 Step two spell
    1 Step one spell mastery
    1 Step two spell mastery
    ? One point wonders

Step five, additional skill allocation:
    This is the tricky part. You need to divide skill points between synergies and mastery of your two elements.
    You probably won't have enough skill points to fully synergize and master your spells, so you need to make some tough decisions.

Step six, allocate stat points:
    First put points into strength until you have 156 strength. Even if you don't have a spirit monarch now, you don't want to have to respec when you get one.
    Second put the rest of the points into vitality.

Step seven, gear up:
    There are two sets of equipment I know of, one provides more damage, the other provides more magic find.
    Also I wanted to note, that some may disagree, but I consider CBF to be mandatory. Getting frozen while teleporting can get your killed.
    I say this is because I used to get killed while teleporting and once I got CBF it stopped happening.

Reasonably priced magic find set:
    Weapon: Occy
    Socket: Ist
    Switch Weapon: Gull
    Switch Shield: Milabrega's Orb
    Shield: Spirit
    Armor: Tal's
    Socket: PTopez
    Helm: Shako
    Socket: PTopez
    Belt: Tal's
    Gloves: Magefists
    Boots: War Travs
    Amulet: Tal's Amulet
    Ring: FCR ring
    Ring: Raven Frost

Note: You can replace the FCR ring with a MF ring if you have a perfect FCR spirit.

FCR: 20 [Belt and Armor] + 30 [Occy] + 25 [Spirit] + 20 [Magefists] + 10 [Ring] = 105
    MF against normal monsters: 50 [Occy] + 30 [Ist] + 50 [Shako] + 48 [PTopezs] + 163 [Tal's] + 30 [War Trav] + 20 [Gheed's] = 391
    MF against act bosses: 100 [Gull] + 20 [Milabrega's] + 50 [Shako] + 48 [PTopezs] + 163 [Tal's] + 30 [War Trav] + 20 [Gheed's] = 431
    Skills: 2 [Amulet] + 3 [Weapon] + 2 [Shield] + 2 [Helm] + 4 [Unique Charms] = 13

Reasonable priced non MF set:
    Weapon: Occy
    Shield: Spirit
    Switch: Wizardspike if you can use it without putting base points into dex.
    Armor: Enlightenment or other +2 skills armor
    Helm: Shako
    Belt: Arach Mesh
    Gloves: Magefists
    Boots: Whatever
    Amulet: Anything with +2 sorc/all skills
    Ring: FCR ring
    Ring: Raven Frost

FCR: 30 [Occy] + 25 [Spirit] + 20 [Mesh] + 20 [Magefists] + 10 [Ring] = 105
    Skills: 2 [Amulet] + 3 [Weapon] + 2 [Shield] + 2 [Armor] + 2 [Helm] + 1 [Belt] + 4 [Unique Charms] = 16

Step eight, mercenary:
    You want an Act II desert mercenary. Holy Freeze, Prayer and Defiance are considered good mods to have. Thorns isn't very good in hell because monsters have more more health than they deal damage.
    Mercenary weapon: You either want an ethereal Insight elite poleaxe, or an etheral Infinity elite poleaxe if you're rich.
    Mercenary armor: You want something with a lot of defense, and ideally life leech and PDR. Stone is good. CoH is considered better.
    Mercenary helm: Life leech is pretty much mandatory here. Andy's and Vampire Gaze are considered good, but there are other possibilities.

Loading up your mercenary with magic find generally isn't a very good idea unless you're only doing meph runs or something similar.

Here's an example of using this guide to respec to a duel element sorceress:
    Lets say I want to make a sorceress with the following MF routine while I'm waiting for public trades on battle.net:
    1. Countess. They would be here any second.
    2. The Pit. Perhaps I have some time to walk around.
    3. Ancient Tunnels. I think I'm asking for too high a price.

Why not Mephisto?
    Because I want to be able to TP back to town and talk with perspective buyers or sellers at a moment's notice. If Mephisto is at half health, then it's I'm either going to tell whoever just joined that they have to wait, or feel like I've wasted time damaging Mephisto.

Countess:
    The Countess: She's immune to fire and cold. I'm going to want to use lightning of some kind.
    Black rogues: They're immune to cold. Also they quickly surround you when you teleport into The Countess's throne. However they have a slow hit recovery, so maybe there's a way to damage them all at once.
    Dark archers: One of the many reasons I cling so dearly to CBF. They're lightning immune and boss packs can easily KO a vita sorceress if she sits still for too long in the range of the whole pack.

Pits:
    Devilkin & Devilkin Shammans: They're immune to fire. They can theoretically drop great gear, but tend to scury away. We don't want to waste time missing them.
    Skeletons: Cold immune. Not that interesting.
    Black rogues: Same deal as the countess, except that they'll be coming to us instead of us coming to them since we'll be walking mostly.
    Dark archers: Same deal as the countess, except that we'll need to confront them rather than run past them.

Tunnels:
    Raiders: Slow melee attacks. Fire immune.
    Zombies: Slow melee attackers, magic immune.
    Mummies: Slow melee attacksrs, poison immune.
    Horror mages: These are the guys you gotta worry about. They have a ranged lightning attack, not very much health though.

The Countess Rogues have 3148 average health. This means that that's the amount of lightning damage I want to deal. I want it to hit as many of them as once as possible. I have +12 to skills because I don't have an Annhi, so that with around 20 free points I could deal:
    Nova: 1469
    Lightning: ~2243
    Chain lightning: ~1300

I decide to go with Nova. For the following reasons:
    *I can cast nova 3 times in the time it takes me to cast lightning twice. This makes Nova deal damage almost as fast as lightning.
    *I'll be flinching the countess rogues more with Nova since it's faster.
    *I'll be able to hit all the rogues at once right after teleporting in.
    *Less prerequisites.
    *More consistent.

Next I pick a delay spell. The various ranged packs in these areas are lightning immune, which is convent since the delay spells are all either cold or fire. I want a delay spell that will:
    1. Hit a wide area, to take out the whole archer pack as fast as possible.
    2. Work well against wandering targets, because archers sometimes move around randomly.
    3. Long range, because I don't want to have to get close to the pack if I can.

Hydra doesn't hit a wide area, so it's out.
    Firewall and meteor aren't good against wandering targets, so they're out.
    I consider frozen orb to be a close range spell.
    That leaves Blizzard.

For the prerequisite I'll favor Glacial Spike for its ability to put an entire boss archer pack on ice.

Finally for one point wonders I pick:
    Static Field (also a prereq)
    Warmth
    Frozen Armor

Here's my final skill allocation at level 87:
    1 Static Field
    20 Nova
    20 Lightning Mastery
    1 Telekinesis
    1 Teleport

1 Warmth
    1 Frozen Armor

1 Ice Bolt
    1 Frost Nova
    6 Ice Blast
    20 Glacial Spike
    20 Blizzard
    5 Cold Mastery (17 after gear for -100 res)

Character screen: http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3618/charscreen.png
    Nova damage: 1258-1680
    Blizzard damage: 2937-3080
    Magic find: 74 [Helm] + 112 [Armor] + 14 [Belt] + 65 [Set] + 80 [Weapon] + 27 [Ring] + 30 [Boots] + 28 [Gheed's] = 430

2. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Re: Generalized 2 element vita sorc guide

1) a little too long and/or poorly formatted for easy reading, sorry...

2) any dual element guide that doesnt suggest full Tal's instantly loses all credibility with me. In my opinion there's no better option for a dual element sorc in any situation than the full Tal's setup, its the sharpest cookie cutter in the drawer. Hits the trifecta for sorcs: enough MF, enough FCR, enough resists, and plenty of +skills.

3) CBF does not affect teleporting. Being frozen doesnt slow down your cast rate at all. I'm not even sure it slows down your hit/block animations, either, but that'd be the only thing. If your FCR is over 63, definitely if its over 105, you should be able to safely TP.

4) TS is not a 1 pt wonder, except for PvP I think. Definitely sucks PvM.

5) Treachery armor and Tal's helm are two very good options for your merc that you missed...

6) Frost Nova, Ice Blast, and Glacial Spike to a certain extent really arent viable even as your off-element. Nova isnt very endgame-viable either without much better gear than you have suggested.

7) This is more of a personal mitzvah of mine, but you're worshipping at the altar of high-MF a little too much here :) 250 is enough for most area-clearing sorcs; 350 is solid, and you dont need 450+ unless you're a bosshunting-only sorc.

3. NrAlex

NrAlex IncGamers Member

Question, is the ist for oculus or gull? If the for the oculus, why would one do that?

4. scwizard

scwizard IncGamers Member

Err, whoops, it's supposed to be for both.

Ist goes in occy to, because you want high mf when you're killing normal monsters to.

5. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

This alone really kills your credibility for anything you say - Freezing does not affect your cast rate (though you would think it should, but as far as the game is concerned it does not). FCR and FHR are the biggest factors when teleporting blind.

While I can applaud the effort - this guide suffers from what I would call "too much, too little". There are a number of details, but not enough. If you decide to be detailed, you really have to be detailed and cover more than just certain specifics (like gear, including several alternatives etc). As it stands, some of your gear recommendations make little sense.

Overall, I think anyone who would attempt to follow this guide would need to be inexperienced - but instead of it helping, it would only make things harder as opposed to following the main guides, like a orbitaller/meteororb CL/FO, blizzballer.

6. Tim B

Tim B IncGamers Member

not really a 1pt wonder, as it requires 20pts on telekenesis to be effective. this makes it not viable for most duel ele sorcs. something like an orb/nova sorc might get away with it.

to me, this really suggests that you may not be the best person to write such a guide

as already mentioned your gear selection is very limited. no mention of viper or ormus? the only weapon you mention is occy. what about the other unique orbs or hoto. i dare say a low req infinity pole would be pretty awesome on some nova hybrids. you haven't even mentioned some of the equipment that your own sorc uses!

a few more comments with regards to merc gear i'd agree that you want either an insight or infinity as your weapon. if you want your merc to significant damage, then fortitude or CoH are probably the way forward. if he's just there to tank then stone is an option, however, there are more choices than just runewords. duriels and gladiators bane both offer cbf (which is a damn site more useful on your merc than it is on yourself!!!) shaftstop offers great damage reduction. As for helm, life leech if important, but it doesn't have to come from your helm. CoH has lifeleech on, so that opens up a few more possibilities. Guillaume's is great for taking down bosses, especially when combined with infinity for 75% crushing blow. if you don't made your game occasionally crashing, then delerium is good fun. the ctc confuse is great for safety.

to me your section about making a sorc to run specific areas seems rather unnecessary. the point of a duel element sorc is to be more versatile, and be able to run far more areas of the game than a single element sorc. if i want a sorc that can handle any area in the game, then i'll make a duel element sorc. if i only want to run specific bosses or areas, then i'll use a single element sorc and do it much faster.

I think this guide tries to cover too much, and fails to cover anything in enough detail. The build you seem to have made with blizz/nova does however sound like a very intersting build, and i don't imagine there's already a guide for one. i think you'd be better off writing a more focussed guide around such a build. Spend a bit more time researching more fully different gear options. mention what break points to aim for, and what gear will help you achieve them. perhaps a section about what areas of the game the build excels at too.

7. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

The Blizz/Nova 'Blova' sorc is pretty popular over on the SPF, not sure if there's a guide as such but you should be able to find some in the Mat/Pat thread. People use them for Baal running mainly, using the Nova to mop up the CI skeletons.

As for this guide, it's pretty hard to get any decent information out of it, needs a reformat and each section would need filling out much better.

8. droid

droid IncGamers Member

I'll disagree with this...while a deliberate ES-build sorc, like a melee sorc, definitely needs the full TK synergy, many standard builds can benefit quite well from a 1-pt ES. I wouldnt recommend it for a fire/cold build, just because you're spending 4 points on a 1-pt wonder, but for builds with CL in them already, its just 1 extra point.

Especially for those using an Insight merc, even just a 1-pt ES with your usual +skills gives you a powerful defense and markedly increased survivability over a pure-vit sorc. When you toss a good CtA into the mix on top of Insight and a hefty investment in Ene, you're looking at an incredibly high mana recharge rate that really buffers the odd incidental damage you receive as a non-melee sorc. Plus, splitting your damage between health and mana means you're fully taking advantage of a Prayer Insight merc's regeneration bonuses.

My full Tal's CL/FO sorc, with 17 Med Insight Prayer merc, can essentially TP into just about any large swarm, short of a Cursed Fanaticism Archers or a really nasty Cow pack, and blast her way out before her blue orb is even half gone. That ES has saved my butt countless times - its especially noticeable when you get hit with heavy individual blows, like Dolls in WSK or Nihl's CE, where you can be sure you would be dead if you were pure vit...

9. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

ES does have its limitations - a mana burn can burst your bubble when a simple teleport could save your life, but no mana - ded dead. (Simpsons line never forgot)

I'm not fond of 1 point ES, as it's more like to let me down than help when I actually need it. Granted with an insight, unless you're just shy of death, enough blue should regen to teleport before its too late.

10. potter

potter IncGamers Member