Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

General newbie questions?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Aerali, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Aerali

Aerali IncGamers Member

General newbie questions?

Ok, I've played Diablo 2 off and on for a few years, but I always got sidetracked before beating Normal. Finally got me a Slayer (Fishymancer Thanks Nightfish)

So I've been trying to take in some of the things in the guides but I'm not quite following too well.

Ok, I kept all of the green items, gold items, gems, and runes I came across in Normal. (Had a bad episode with ATMA trying to make a stash and lost a lot of gear but I learned eventually) I've got the itch to try to some other classes, but I don't really care to go untwinked.

Reading about socketing items, would it be best if I kept all the 3+ grey items I come across to make rune words? I am loathe to think of how many I sold or left lying around before now.

Also I am starting to think of keeping most of the yellow items I find, seems like I find some really nice gear for other classes while on the necro. Seems like a good base for twinking some low levels alts.

Looking at the crafted recipes I am thinking of making a few sets of the Blood type gear, the Caster type gear, and possibly a set of the safety gear and the hit power gear. The Blood gear would seem nice for a Druid or Barb, maybe even a melee Amazon. The Caster gear of course would be nice for a Sorceress, and possibly a bow Amazon. The Safety gear seems nice for a paladin, tho I would prefer an offensive one, still reading guides on those.

Any advice on gear to keep, or not to keep? Am I wasting my time keeping yellow gear? Should I keep on with the socketed greys? Should I start keeping all my charms so later I can attempt to change them?

I didn't use the socket quests on Normal, would they be available to use by going back to Normal and backtracking?

A lot of the guides I read so more end type gear, I suppose mid Nightmare to Hell. Would the crafted gear be good for getting me to the point of using that stuff if I get lucky enough to find it?

Thank you for any advice

2. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Re: General newbie questions?

gear to keep:

1) uniques - the gold colored gear, most only keep a few of each and trade the rest as able.

2) sets - the green colored gear, again same as uniques

3) rares (that have potential use for you) - things to look for in rares, resistances, +skills, staffmods, high ED%'s combinations of affixes that are geared towards a build.

4) jewels, gems, charms, runes

5) anything else you think you might want later or need later.

really up to you as the player.
    ---

I usually only keep a socketed item if it has good runewording potential, say a 2 socketed staff with +3 enchant or firewall on it, 2 socket wand with +3 poison nova or bone spear. or a superior 4 socketed dusk shroud. if the items isn't the perfect item to runeword and you don't have the runes yet, you might find a better item before you get the runes and can always find or make an item to accept the runeword.

---

Don't worry about how guides show only end type gear the real hard part about playing a guide is getting to the point of being in that end type gear, you have to be able to get through normal and nightmare with the build before worrying about end gear.

3. midnightvulture

midnightvulture IncGamers Member

Re: General newbie questions?

Hi. I'm not the most knowledgeable guy around here, but I'll do my best to help you out.

1. Most of the crafting recipes aren't too useful to be honest. Caster rings, amulets, and maybe belts could be useful for fcr; Blood gloves and axes can turn out well; Hitpower gloves are popular for bow-wielding Amazons for the knockback; and a Safety amulet could save you points in dex for the + block %. The rest usually aren't worth bothering with, especially if you're twinking, and usually they get crafted by high-level characters looking for gear that's better than uniques/sets.

2. Most runewords are only useful if you make them in the right base item, and you won't find much in Normal except for the really low level runewords. For armors you want the best defense at the lowest str requirement, and that means Archon plate or Dusk shroud base armors for high-end runewords or just a breastplate for something like 'stealth' (which is a nice low-level caster armor). For weapons you want damage and speed, again with reasonable requirements. That's a little more complicated since different runewords require different base weapon types. As for what you'll find at low levels, a 'strength' flail can be nice, as can a 'steel' flail. 'Honor' in an ethereal Lance is a great weapon for a merc too. There was a thread about this started by sirpoopsalot, it's got some good info.

3. Rares are usually crap, but can be awesome. Keep an eye out for multiple resists + magic find on boots and gloves, belts with resists, +life, and/or +str. Weapons with high (at least 150%) enhanced damage and nice other mods can be nice for mid-level twinking if the level requirements are nice. I guess you could keep anything you think might be useful, since ATMA won't run out of room for them.

4. As for charms, there is a handy guide around here about what's useful. I'm too lazy to find a link, but I think Thyiad had one in her signature for a while. If you can't find it I'm sure a link will appear eventually.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I hope some of it helps.

mv