Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

General Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Awkward, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Awkward

Awkward Diabloii.Net Member

General Newbie Questions

Hello all!

In the past, I played D2 a little bit, not much, never got a patriarch or matriarch. Been playing a lot of World of Warcraft, and for whatever reason got a D2 craving lol. I have a few newbie-type questions which I thought you good folks could help me with.

1) What is a good untwinked build? I.e. I am planning on running the game straight through, totally untwinked, killing everything in my sight on the harder levels of difficulty (p8 when possible), and so I do not expect to get really good gear except for what I find. I am looking for a NON-FISHYMANCER build that works well untwinked. For instance, would wind druids, trap assassins, any kind of amazon build work well for this? Looking for a lack of dependence on specific gear.

2) When people on forums say that they have "shako," "SoJ," etc., how, in single player, do they get such specific and amazing items? Is there some way to trade with people, or just luck?

3) How should I distribute stat points as I go up for whatever particular build you mention?

Thanks!
    Awkward

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Hello!
    1. fishy :p. Or hammerdin, blizz sorc, meteorb, trapsin, windy druids etc etc. Generally the big MFers are also the best untwinked. a LF zon would be ok untwinked, but you'd need a good jav.
    2. You can trade, but alot of people just play alot. like several hours a day, every day. If you runthe right areas or bosses, with good MF and get lucky you can have those items. The odds are the same as them dropping in bnet, except inbent there is a much larger trade pool, so everyone seems to have everything.
    3. For casters go for enough str and dex for equipment, rest in vit. you shouldnt need much in energy.l If you go for blocking, try getting that up to near 75%. For more specific distribution, check the guides in each class forum.

3. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer Diabloii.Net Member

For casters, especially untwinked, you definately DO NOT want base energy, unless you don't mind carrying beltful of mana pot and return to town every minute. Even my fully twinked sorcs like to have 100 energy. However due to the fact that untwinked char tend to have lower skill level, thus less mana consumption, so around 100 should be enough.

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Actually, i find that even without much or any mana equipment, my casters can manage with near base energy. Of course, things like lightning sorcs, singers and builds that use skills/weapons which cant benefit from mana leech.
    Depends though, i dont mind keeping 1 column in my belt for mana, and enough of them drop on the ground do keep yourself going.

5. whomhead

whomhead Diabloii.Net Member

For an intwinked caster in SC, it is definitely worth putting about 30-40 stat points into Energy. i'd also suggest only going for at most 50% block since you can't depend on your finding a really good shield. And trying to get high block with a bad shield is damn near impossible.

In answer to your questions... a good old Meteorb or Blizz/Fireball sorc are both very powerful and safe untwinked. They also happen to be good MFers as well. Which is nice.

Getting good items just takes time. If you have something specific that you need, then you can try and trade for the good items. We use ATMA for trading and for item-management. Check it out, it rocks!

Stat points for a sorc should be enough strength for gear - definitely no more than 90-100 here. Dex should be high enough for ~50-75% block depending on your shield. That's about 150 points at level 85. Like I said, I'd go for about 30 points in energy. This is dependant on the skill your using however. Because Blizzard is timered, you can get by with less here but spammable skills like Fireball can really drain your mana. Put all the rest in Vit.

6. MFMOFO

MFMOFO Banned

Like everyone said, casters are the way to go untwinked. And yes, dropping some points in energy is a good idea. Good luck in your journey young Padwan! May the force be with you!

7. water_moon

water_moon Diabloii.Net Member

I've played several barbs untwinked (HC tourneys even) and never had a problem. Plus if you're trying to build up your stash of goodies, the find item is great.
    Should we be welcoming youto the SPF also? or ar you just before my time?
    Oh well, have soem cookies anyways and stop by the EMB for some cake today.

8. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty Diabloii.Net Member

My suggestion is a Meteorb. Very versatile build, and very doable untwinked. Look for Sasja's guide in the Sorceress Forum. Don't expect to do /players 8 easily without twinking, though. The best other bets are probably wind druids and hammerdins. I don't think any other builds are as easy or quick, untwinked, but that is a debate as old as D2 itself... :rolleyes:
    Enough strength for equipment and enough dexterity for blocking (as much as your shield warrants). My untwinked Meteorb has 75 base energy. I'd use less, given what she's using now, but untwinked, it worked well. The rest into vitality.

9. slappy sam

slappy sam Diabloii.Net Member

My suggestion is a trapsin because of great crowd control and high damaging traps. They are pretty fun to play IMO and it's been my easiest character to get to hell/play in hell so far (untwinked). You also don't need any energy for this build.

10. Awkward

Cool, what kind of trapsin? Can you direct me to a good untwinked trapsin guide?

11. farting bob

farting bob Banned

this is probably the best trapsin guide, although ti presumes your twinked, its generally easy to see what item mods they are looking for, and try to get some on your gear as you go.

12. Awkward

One last question...

What's the difference between trapsins, wind druids and meteorbs in playstyle? Is one faster than the others, easier than the others, etc.?

13. essojay

essojay Diabloii.Net Member

They're all popular but I'd say the trapsin is the safest, of the other two, windy is more dependent on your items. I love generalizing. Not very helpful, am I? :lol: