Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

General Gameplay Tips

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by dodenbezweerder, Jun 5, 2005.

1. dodenbezweerder

dodenbezweerder Diabloii.Net Member

General Gameplay Tips

Hello again,

I'm kind of at a point where i have no idea on what to do next. It's my second time at this point, the first time the nice people on these forums helped me on my way. So i'm kind of hoping they will do it again.

Whenever i meet a fellow diablo player, i do the polite thing and say 'hello'. The usual reply is: 'lol @ necro, crap equip' or something similiar. They usually stop lol-ing at me when i politely ask them, to please stop dying because i'm running out of town portals. Besides the bantering, they are correct. The equipment i wear is crap. I look like i just started this character and still wear my 'chainmail', eventhough i'm at lvl 73. Everyone wears a nice purple or green outfit while i still wear a chainmail like colour and ofcourse my crown doesn't help either. I just haven't found anything better then what i have now. The things i found are just not for necros and i usually give them away to the correct type of player. Like i still have a Salamander Battle Staff, Cloudcrack sticker and something called a Storm Eye Scepter taking up space in my stash.

To get myself some better equipent i could do the following:
    1. Play the game and pray it drops (and i can actually pick it up before anyone else does), this would probably take a long time.
    2. I could trade for it.
    3. I can buy it on ebay or wherever for real money (this i won't do)

Since every necromancer seems to scream about Trang-Oul's set items, i was wondering. How much does it costs 'in general'?

Assume i would like to trade for my items. Should i collect every type of gem, jewel and runes? Or do i need specific types?

Is there a place where i can find out how much something is worth? Like those three items i have now, is all nice. But i have no idea on what it is worth.

Besides the questions about 'how to get better equiment'. I have a small problem with my necro. Normal was though, nightmare was easy. But hell is just like normal. It's though. I've maxed my RS SM en Mages. My CE range is sufficient according to me. So i'm kind of clueless on what to do with my skill points. So my options are, boost my golem, invest even more in CE or do more SR. Could someone give me some advice about that?

Thanks in advance.

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Do like this: First, trade for some basic items that will get you started, then play the game and find new, better :)
    Basic items can actually bring you a good bit on the way, and are cheap as well. Make sure you pick up EVERY necro wand, and necro head (shield), since they contain +skills that might be of help.
    Good that you dont even consider ebay as an option.

Not much at all. The shield/armor/gloves are usually items that most people do not even pick up when dropped. The helm and belt is more rare, but still not that rare to become a real expense.
    Generally, the set gives extremely good bonuses in comparison to its price.
    Even if you only get your hands on the cheap parts of the set, it will help a lot.

A common tradecurrency is perfect gems. 3 flawless gems of the same type into the cube -> one perfect gem.
    For 10 perfect gems, you sure could get the cheapest parts of the trang-oul set... Just pick them up, cube them, trade them. Jewels are harder to describe which are popular and not.
    Try looking around in trade forums and see what people want. (in general, enhanced damage, increased attackspeed, resists, maximum damage etc are wanted. not many people want a +20 attackrating jewel) :)
    Runes, ah, runes. Well, it explains itself that runes that come with high level requirement are rare, thus valuable.
    On ladder, runes over Hel tend to have a value, while on non-ladder its more like no runes are worth a lot except for the higher ones...
    [/QUOTE]

Those 3 items you mentioned do not really have a trade value Im afraid. People would not want them, normally not even if free. There is a trade value forum here, but usually its hard to get good price checks there. Best way is to check the trade forums, and see what people offer for certain things, thus learning to compare values. Checking how many gems people offer is a good start, since you probably will have gems soon ;)

There is no need to invest more in CE I guess. If you feel its sufficient, it probably is.
    Have you put any points in curses? Amplify damage is a great curse, since it makes monsters take double physical damage. Since the skellies are your main source of damage rather than mages, this helps a lot. (twice as fast!!)
    A necro without curses can not work at its full potential, no matter what.
    Another useful thing is to use a mercenary. A mercenary hired in act2 nightmare with 'offensive' skill will result in a merc with the Might aura. This aura increases the physical damage made, thus boosting your skellies damage even further. Wonderful outcome at a cheap price :thumbsup:

Those are the few tips I can give for starters. Hope they are to any good use.
    Besides, assuming you are on Europe (seems like a dutch name to me), perhaps you would want some items, just to get you started? For instance, trangs items and so on... Just say if so, and I'll help you.
    Oh, and also, is this ladder or non-ladder?

LorveN

3. dodenbezweerder

Thanks for the quick reply..

I am on europe, Ladder game. Although i read somewhere (can't remember where) that the ladder will end soon.

The items that i have now are:
    Undead Crown, gives me +3 mastery
    Magic wand with +3 summoning
    1 zombie head, gives me +1 skills.
    Vetlocks
    Some +PTopaz armor 400def or so and rings with +mf.
    Also wear vidala's amulet, gives me +50% mf with the vetlocks.

I guess i better give those items in my stash away then, or sell them.

I've got all the curses except lifetap i believe. I use AMP all the time till the first corpse drops then i just blast away.

4. LorveN

the crown is good for starters, so is the wand.
    but there is always room for improvement. ;)
    However, I wont be at home until friday, so you'll have to wait until then. Do like this: Send me a PM here on the forums with your acc, and I'll find you on friday ;)

And, do try the merc bit :thumbsup:

5. dodenbezweerder

I have, act 2 nm merc. 1997 defenise, 700+ damage. It's my best buddy, although he usual just gets lost.

6. LorveN

As long as his aura is still there, you should be fine. Its the most important part of using mercs ;)
    Oh, and of course, with a merc its a lot easier to get the first corpse to raise.

7. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Depending on the amount of +skills you have Hell can be very tough. To solve this problem you'll need to be creative with your curses.

Crowd control is the first step. All of the AI curses work well as crowd control. DV will shut down anything with a ranged attack. It works wonder on those ranged attackers that want to pelt you while your Skellies beat on the front lines.

Confusion helps to take away some pressure from your minions by making monsters attack everything. If you, your Merc or your minions come close they'll still be the favourite target of the monsters.

Attract will give one monster highest target priority. All other monsters will want to target that monster. If you curse about three monsters in a pack with Attract the rest of the monsters will pay almost no attention to your minions. As an extra bonus Attract can not be overridden. So you can pick out a few monsters with Attract and place Amp on the others.

Keep in mind that none of the AI curses work on Champions, Super Uniques, Act Bosses or Oblivion Knights.

Another good tip is to walk. Walking keeps you safe. You minions will reach the lines first and they will do so in tighter formations. Also your Merc will not get lost as often.

If you are in a fight you can also raise a few Revives. These guys are tough and help to keep your Skellies alive.

Keep your Merc one level behind you. This will make sure his Might aura has the highest level possible.

If you need anymore advice please post how you tackle a normal pack. What curses do you use? How do you manoeuvre? Where do you place your Necro? What kinds of monsters give you the hardest time?

8. dodenbezweerder

First things first.. My merc has the same level as me, or is one level lower. I have one of those Nightmare act2 merc. (i think). The aura that he gives me is yellow/gold stripes, in a circle.

When encountering a pack, i'll spray them with Amplify Damage. Or if they are fast movers, i'll use Deprecify. My skells will engage, while i'll stand amoung my mages a little behind the front line.
    As soon as they create a corpse, i'll switch to Amplify damage, spray them and then start to explode corpses. This seems to work just fine for a normal pack. However, if i encounter a pack that looks though, or if there a just a lot of them. I use a combination of amplify damage and attract.

Currently i'm in act2. The sand leapers, those little critters that jump a lot, are giving me a real hard time. And sometimes the pack i encounter is just too strong. Making my skellies drop like flies. And without another corpse i cannot raise new skeletons. It usually involves going back to act1 to reraise my army.

I have 10 skeletons, and 10 mages. The skeletons do damage from 200-210 or so. The mages, i have no idea. They both have a 23 skill level with a 27 skill level in mastery. I can summon up to 5 revives at the moment. I'm wondering if it should be a good idea to invest more skill points in it. Currently i've been investing a bit more in corpse explosion.

Well, this is pretty much it.

9. Mad Mantis

With DV they can't jump IIRC.

The Skellies do more damage than that. You need to figure in the Might bonus. The aura around your minions should look like this.
    The Mages have different amounts of damage. At the levels you mention they should be doing:

Poison Mages: 165 over 385 seconds.
    Cold Mages: 113 - 116 (ø115) with a duration of 9.375 seconds.
    Fire damage: 197 - 201 (ø199.5).
    Lightning damage: 37 - 315 (ø176).

10. dodenbezweerder

I'll try the dim vision. I've tried using confuse on them, which seems to work fine.

My merc's aura is the same, so i've got the right merc.

11. dodenbezweerder

I've finished my first trade, all went well.

But one more 'newbie' question i guess.. Is a perfect skull of the same value as a perfect gem?

12. Pherdnut

Pherdnut Diabloii.Net Member

Yes. They work just like PGems for the magic item reroll recipe. I usually try to trade the skulls first since some newer players don't realize that they work the same. Trang's is cool for the fire skills, resists, and PDR, but it's not necessarily all that for a skellimancer. Skellies are primarily enhanced by +skills and you can get a heck of a lot more than +3 all +2 all necro skills with unique/runeword helmets, armor, shields, and belts which is what full Trang's takes up.

Homonculus, Vipermagi, and a +3 summoning Circlet alone give you more than that and all can be had for PGems whereas Trang's Belt and Helmet get up to Lem on USWest. The vipermagi and homonculus give +65-75 resists alone so this 3-piece setup is already getting competitive with Trang's for resists. Of course there are many other handy benefits to full Trang's but as a skellimancer your biggest concerns should be not getting killed by ranged magic attacks and getting as many +skills as possible.

Be sure and gamble for amulets and circlets whenever you have gold to spare. A +2 all necro or +3 summons mod isn't as unlikely as you might expect.

And yes, if you picked the offensive merc in Nighmare difficulty, you got the Might Merc. That aura definitely isn't the Holy Freeze aura. I don't remember what the other act 2 aura is though.

Once you find yourself doing well in Hell, you may want to consider searching for socketables rather than MFing since the gear is less restrictive and a lucky break can net you Ists or even high runes. Familiarize yourself with the popular runewords to get an idea of what people are looking for in terms of items. Monarchs with 4 sockets (which unsocketed ones automatically get) go for a Pul each and aren't that hard to find in Hell Cows.

13. dodenbezweerder

I haven't traded any Trangs yet.. I was going to get the Scales for the +2 summoning. But, some offer it for 3Pgems, while others offer it for 9pgems. a little weird.

I did trade for an Arm of King Leoric. Which is a nice thing.

Thanks for the explination.

14. Pherdnut

Pherdnut Diabloii.Net Member

Good Trade on the AoKL. If you could only have one item to buff up your skellies with, that would be it. Try to get the gloves and Belt with the armor. There are no gloves that will give your skellies plus skills, they give a nice boost to your curses and it's one of the cheaper Trang's items. You'll probably need a decent mid rune for the belt depending on what realm you play, but having 3 items will give you 50% lightning resists from the armor and 40% cold resists from the belt. However, you could easily get this from your Nightmare Hell Forge if you're lucky. You may want Arachnid's Mesh in place of the belt eventually for another +skill but I'm guessing you can't afford that just yet. Trang's belt also gives immunity to freezing and chilling which is very useful in Hell where cold attacks can nearly paralyze you sometimes. Also, +1 Helms like Tarnhelm, Peasant's War Crown, and that unique skull can probably all be had for a handful of pgems if you have trouble gambling a good circlet.

15. dodenbezweerder

I've got the armor already, got it yesterday. Traded it for a wizardspike i just picked up from the ground. One thing i find very hard is to understand what certain items are worth.

My skellies do 302-304 damage now. But i saw screen shots that skellies can do 400+, so i still have a long way to go.

16. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls Diabloii.Net Member

The toughest 2 pieces of Trang's to get are the helm and the belt...you can find the other's easy enough just by doing nm meph and baal.

HoS

17. dodenbezweerder

Just for curiosity. I've seen many time that people say to run Mephisto and Baal on nightmare. Just why on nightmare and not on Hell?

18. Mad Mantis

Highest probability to drop the items and easier to run.

19. dodenbezweerder

I would have thought that hell would yield better results. But i'll concentrate on NM then. First run didn't yield anything proper though.

20. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls Diabloii.Net Member

The main thing you need for mfing...is patience.

It does take quite a few runs as well...if your on east ladder and I find then again..i'll let you know.

HoS