Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

General 1.10 questions

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Intolerance, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

General 1.10 questions

I'm reinstalling D2 after a long time to play on bnet with some friends in our own self contained group. None of us have played much since before 1.10.

There will probably be 3 of us. I don't need specifics, but what types of characters are reasonably strong? Nova Sorcs? Skelliemancers? WW Barbs? I don't mind making cookie-cutter chars since our goal is to play through Hell Baal without any outside help. I've looked in the strat compendium and guides there usually account for having specific gear in mind. We're starting (and finishing) from scratch.

Our tentative starting chars are a barb, a nec, and a zon. Will a barb be too gear dependant to be able to contribute later on (other than being a bo slave)? Might a javazon be a better choice than a bowazon? I know that necs/sorcs are much less gear dependant than non-casters, and I don't want anyone in my group to lose interest because their character can't keep up in terms of meaninful contribution.

2. Arutha

Arutha IncGamers Member

my fav for pvm is got to be a hammerdin and with spirit they can be pretty effective without haveing to pay much.

3. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

You will get as many suggestions as there are forum memebers.

For myself I struggle with Barbs. Used to be one of my favorite characters. They just don't seem to do enough damage without the most expensive gear. The exception is the IK Barb. The hard part is getting the armor but you could trade for it as it isn't as expensive as it used to be.

As your group works through the game you can pool the stuff you don't need and trade it here on the forums for what you do need.

I wonder what a group comprised of a Skelly Necro with his Curses, a Hammerman Paladin with his Auras and a Sorc with her Teleport would do? Or maybe replace the Sorc with your Barb for the Warcries. You need a group of four.

4. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Very good untwinked builds:

Sorc with just about any combo of skills, blizzard, orb, meteor, chain lightning being the best
    Hammerdin
    Summon necro

5. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Barbarians are horrible choices for untwinked characters, regardless if they are concentrate, whirlwind or frenzy. They require some extremly good weapons to be more than a "BO Slave" in nightmare/hell.

6. Intolerance

I'm not looking for our chars to be able to solo in 8 player games.

I would like them all to be able to contribute. I doubt there will be any boss farming, but rather just trying to go through the quests.

7. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Barbs --- or any melee char --- still have issues since they have to take the pounding.

IMHO you should go for a Skelemancer (aka summon necro), and let the skellies be the melee part. The other two should be ranged, so all three of you can stand in relative safety behind the wall of skellies. Of the three mercs, one of them must be might; for the others, defiance and blessed aim or prayer could a good choice.

As for other two chars --- if one is a paladin, then his aura should help out the skellies as well. If you want more than aura-providers, a hammerdin is ranged, can do some damage, and his concentration aura helps the skellies. If you just want aura-poviders, make a hammerdin and something with fanatism :)

For the third char I don't have a good idea --- I don't know if an untwinked sorc can be used for teleport, but that would be a nice contribution on the party level --- teleport and tp for the cavalry.

Also, both Skelemancers and Hammerdins have problems in Maggots Lair and other narrow places, so a class that can deal with such areas (includes shooting through doors and similar stuff) could help out here.

8. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

You've got alot of possibilities. I'd probably suggest a frenzy barb using warcry, sorc, and either a zon/paladin. I think most combo's of 3 characters can get through without a problem untwinked.

3 paladins (fanatacism, concentration, conviction) with zeal/vengeance would make a very solid team too. Throw in a defense act 2 merc, blessed aim act 2 merc, and holy freeze act 2 merc and you're in serious business.

9. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Leaper barbs aren't incredibly effective at soloing but they are fun to play on teams, not incredibly gear intensive (they only really need a high damage weapon but don't have to worry about attack speed), do very strong damage against one target at a time, and can provide the full BO which ups survivability considerably. A high leap is also very useful for keeping enemies in a perpetual state of knockback while your other characters beat the snot out of them.

10. Intolerance

Sorry to bump this up again, but we've got our characters chosen. I'm going to play a skelliemancer. Friend A wants to play a wolf Druid. Friend B wants to play a Bowazon.

Any further suggestions are welcome (skill/stats/gear). Remember, this is completely untwinked and we don't plan on playing outside our private 3 player game.

11. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

omg good luck whit that team :)

IMO both the druid and the amazon are very gear dependand. you can make it, but it sure needs tactics and patience.

as for the characters, check the class specific guides. most suggest items, but you can play them whit more or less any item.

again, good luck

12. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

The skellimancer should give your bowazon plenty of tanks and distribute the damage away from the wolf for him to survive pretty well untwinked. You may want to collect all the magic rings/amulets you find and try to cube some leech jewelry for wolf and zon. If you're not doing any trading outside your party, i suggest using all your imbue quests on weapons for the wolf and zon...and use the pskull rare rerolling and various magic rerolling recipes on weapons too. (at least until something nice pops up).

Good Luck! Come back occasionally and report in on how well your team's doing!

13. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

the best amazon bow skill in .10 is freezing arrow. get the synergy, but not the one that increases freeze length. you can finish hell using it and any crappy bow you buy from the store. also, get 20 in valk. that's the best tank, by far.

boo hammerdins! boo boo boo! they are also difficult untwinked. without the ability to teleport directly onto a monster, many targets will be invulnerable to a pally merely by being too close to a pillar, wall, or corner. also a real pain in the butt trying to target a monster from above.

skellimancers are ok, but make sure to get at least 1 point in corpse explosion, the best skill ever. with 1 pt in corpse explosion, you could probably finish the game solo with any build.

regarding barbs: untwinked barbs are easy. tyrant clubs start dropping in a5 normal, and you can make a black runeword. i finished the game in beta with this. WW barbs are the ones that need good eq, but frenzy, conc, zerk, or double throw barbs can be made with just storebought. if you ever want to do a ww barb untwinked, you'll need at least 1-2 shaels or 15 ias jewels. take any 2h sword and cube it a few times with the normal, flawless or chipped gem recipie. if you get a damage mod, fine, if not, it won't matter. almost all 2h swords can hit the last bp with 2 shaels.

14. phool

phool IncGamers Member

Do you really mean that? I'm pretty sure nm Griswold is the earliest way to get elite stuff, followed by the nm kurasts...

anyway, my advice is pretty simple; the game goes a lot faster if the skelliemancer has CE lvl 10 or so by hell, especially if you'll be doing any nm cow runs. As for the zon, FA + cold arrow synergy is what I'd go for but immo arrow might work, i've never tried (and you're bound to find a kuko ;) ). The wolf seems a crazy choice to me, possibly the worst druid possible untwinked, but I would ignoring everything except attack speed and getting lots of CB.

To you, what exactly does 'untwinked' mean? That you won't be trading with yourself, not trading with each other, at all, etc? Or will you be trading items that you're untwinked chars find with other players?

You haven't made it particularly easy for yourselves - good luck and have fun! :clap:

15. Intolerance

We're only using items that we find ourselves.

As for the zon- I was going to ask if Strafe was better then Multishot, but if FA is the best option, then that's that.

For my skelliemancer, I plan on maxing Skel Mast, Raise Skel, and CE. 1 in all curses (maybe not the AI ones), primarily using Amp and perhaps decrep on bosses. 1 in Bone Armor, 1 in all summons (maybe not Fire Golem). Perhaps a few in Summon Res and Revive after maxing what I want maxed.

For the Dru- he's gonna max Lycan, Wolf, Fury, and Heart of Wolverine. Is it worth putting 1 in the wolf/bear summons?

We're in act 2. No problems thus far.

16. MoonUnit

MoonUnit IncGamers Member

If you have the spare points stick a point or 2 in grizzly as it making a decent tank in late nm and hell.

Don't forget summon resist also, 1 pt should be enuff if you have enuff + skills. Also you can try using 1 pt in revive fer some variety. Gumby aka clay golem + decrepy = gg boss. Good luck to your team :winner:

17. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Your FA will have a terrible time keeping mana untwinked. It still goes fast with mana charms and forsties.