Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gender re-assignment operation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dirty_Zulu, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

Gender re-assignment operation

One of my friend want to have this gender re-assignment surgery. I know he's really screwed up in his head and depressed lot more than normal.

I don't think you can be borned into the body of the wrong sex. I just think human souls are a-sexual, no sexual identity. Homosexuality could just be a physical feature. If I was borned in a female body, I would probably have sex with guys. Wouldn't you?

2. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

I would play with my self. Excessively.

3. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Just a heads up

The OTF is always been a tad on the trendy side. One person starts a religious thread and sure enough, we will see them for 2 weeks strait. Now, it seems the trend is based more on sexual topics, which, considering my job here, scares me.

Just to let you know, I'm keeping a close eye on these threads and I will not be kind to those that try to push the envelope of what is considered decent in these forums.

4. ArchAngel Tiberrius

ArchAngel Tiberrius Banned

I agree that the sexual 'confusion' of a person is somewhat of a joke.

I will not say anymore, as there are a lot of circumvent issues as to what a person would think of this topic. Usually this sort of thing ends up more heated than necessary, as religious, homophobic and pro-homosexuality often line up against each other.

5. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

So close on the heels of the circumcision thread?

I've felt for a long time that people seeking gender-reassignment surgeries are probably suffering from deep psychological problems, not all of which are issues of gender identity.

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

What about the XY females and the XX males? They are out there and are technically in the wrong body. I watched a show on it and my mom(nurse who used to work with this kinda stuff for newborns if the parents decided to take the issue on early) explained how weird the chromosomes can act sometimes. There are people out there that don't fit their body because their mother didn't produce the right hormone during pregnancy.

I wonder if Necro can shed more light on it.

7. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng IncGamers Member

As long as you don't start sleeping with him/her, thats cool.

8. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

agreed.

seriously, I think it would be easier to be gay than to try to switch sexes. wouldn't it? I mean if you're a guy trapped in a woman's body, wouldn't it be easier to be a lesbian than to try to do the surgery thing...and even the other way where the surgery is a bit less complicated, I still think it'd be easier to just be gay. I mean homosexuals have it rough, but not anywhere near as rough as someone with that sort of surgery.

9. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

It is a fallacy that all people seeking gender reassignment are homosexual. Some people seek out the surgery as heterosexuals and after the surgery become homosexual, staying with the same partner. Others seek it out in the misguided belief that it will 'cure' their homosexuality and these are the ones that frequently end up as suicides. It is a procedure that must be done for the right reasons and sexuality is not that reason. The best description of a true transsexual is to say that they suffer from phantom limb syndrome, the vivid sensations that amputees often feel of a missing limb, it actually has little to do with sexuality.

EDIT: Also see {KOW}'s post.

Interestingly, given that circumcision has already been mentioned, having all the bits, hormones and behavioural conditioning of a certain sex does not make one a member of that sex. There is a very well publicised case in America of a child that had a botched circumcision (the doctor slipped and literally burnt the end off, causing irrepairable damage to the appendage). Given that this happened at such a young age, and the damage was so severe, it was decided that the solution was gender reassignment. This poor child grew up without any knowledge of why he/she felt so very wrong and out of place. She would play with cars instead of dolls, was more interested in football than sewing - that sort of thing. By the time she was a teen she thought she was a lesbian and was in a severe mental state which tipped over to suicidal tendencies when she was told she was born a boy. Eventually she got the surgery again and now lives a happy life. A very convincing argument for nature over nurture and why sexual reassignment should never been undertaken lightly.

10. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

Sex: What you have between your legs.
    Orientation: What you look for as a partner

Just to clarify what terms should be used ( im going out of a psychology + a science textbook here ).

11. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

There are cases where gender reassignment can be completely understandable.

However, where your friend is depressed (I assume there is a history of depression as well) he or she is a very BAD canidate for the surgery. your friend may even be projecting other problems into a created dissatisfaction with what fun bits he has. I'd try to get him/her to talk to a therapist before undergoing anything as drastic as surgery.

12. Stevinator

yeah i saw that cold case episode too...didn't know it was based on a true story though.

I wasn't saying they're all homosexual...I just don't get how they think it would be easier to be half a man---or woman, than a whole whatever they were born as. Now if something crazy happened, (I can't even think of an example--but much more than just a circumscision gone wrong), maybe I could see it making sense....but it just seems like it'd be easier (and healthier) to accept themselves for what they are than trying to surgically change themselves into their self perception.

13. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

I'm still trying to figure out Michael Jackson...

14. Untitled

Untitled IncGamers Member

Hm... I'm no expert in this area, but don’t many scientist believe that male brain and female brain are indeed wired differently in some areas? And it has nothing to do with how one is raised.

So given that, I guess it is quite possible for a guy to be born with a male brain and a girl to be born with a female brain.

I also remember there was a CSI episode about trans, apparently, according to CSI, all the best show girls in Vegas are trans. All I can say is Yikes.

15. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I don't watch Cold Case (much...watch a bit of Cold Squad though...silly Yank rip-offs...). I saw it on Oprah and a documentary, I believe he wrote a book about his experiences. The very vivid descriptions of the accident have left me with a cringe reflex whenever I think of it.

*sizzle*

I have worked with a pre-op transsexual and there is another one doing a course where I am currently making a film. There has been a very prominent Australian TV and stage personality for about 30 years (Carlotta, I think she was the first in the country to 'get the chop') that has talked a lot about the issues and she is the first person to tell others not to do it, mainly because the risk of suicide (among other negative psychological outcomes) is so big, unless they are absolutely certain. I don't know about America (though I assume it to be similar), but here they have to live as the opposite sex (dress etc.) for three years before hormone therapy begins, then there is the hormone therapy that lasts a few more years. During all this time they have to undergo constant psychological evaluation and counselling and the doctor can cancel at any time. Only after they have done all this is the surgery performed. Sexuality is not a good enough reason for a doctor to consent to the surgery and a person's entire background and personality is taken into account. A true transsexual is half and half BEFORE surgery, the surgery is what makes them whole and that's why they take such a drastic step in the first place.

16. Stevinator

yeah, actually that's fairly common.