Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gems: What should I do with them?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JohnnyBravo, Mar 6, 2004.

1. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo IncGamers Member

Gems: What should I do with them?

I have been collecting and cubing gems and getting quite a supply of them. I now have atleast 2 Perfect of each. This is my Ma bowazon. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do with these? Thanks.

2. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

Cube +skills Grand Charms .. can never go wrong with that.

--T

3. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

i have an ATMA stash just for gems with at least 20 of each chipped through perfect. it's probably overkill but it's always nice to have whichever one you need

4. HBeachBabe

how do you do that??

5. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo IncGamers Member

Would that fall under 3 perfect gems reroll magic mods?

6. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Yup

"10 characters" :teeth:

--T

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

yea, any magic item of ay kind + 3 perfect gems of any kind = new magic item with same ilvl as went in. so if you egt a ilvl 90 charm that has +3 poison dmg, you can reroll it to get 7%mf and +all res if your lucky! but be prepared to lose alot before you get such 1337 charm as that.

8. HBeachBabe

details please. what ilvl charm is needed?

9. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

For only +skills I think it's somewhere around 50 but if you want some groovy life bonus as well you may need a higher ilvl.

10. Hakai_no_Tenshi

You need at least an ilvl 50 GC to cube +skills charms

--T

11. loverat

loverat IncGamers Member

Rerollin charms info:

Charms: With only one exception, get 'em in Nightmare Cows or very early in Act 1 Hell. If you get small charms any later, you reduce you odds of rolling the "+(3-5)% all resists" mod, or the "+(10-11)% one resist" mod, both of which can be on the same charm as the "+(6-7)% MF" mod! ...If you get a Grand Charm in, say, Hell cows, hoping for a specific skill bonus such as +1 to Sorc Fire Skills, you'll only get the desired mod 19 out of 20 times that you'd get it with a charm from Nightmare cows. (5% more total number of rerolling attempts than to get that mod from a NM cows charm, which is only 1 in 461 to begin with, so you really don't want to make it any harder than it already is!) Now, the exception to the "Get Your Charms in NM Cows" Rule, would be for people who really want to get maximum poison damage... There are prefixes and suffixes for poison, but unlike other damage modifiers these stack slightly exponentially. So a 175 poison damage prefix and 50 damage suffix will actually result in 364 poison damage over 6 seconds. If this is the charm you seek, hold out for the Hell Cows to drop your small charm; but don't hold your breath... According to the data in the MPQ's, the chance of rolling a maximum poison dual-mod small charm are about 1 in 26000. However, there appears to be actual game code (separate from the MPQ's, which are just data,) which alters the results from the info from the MPQ's, because in version 1.09 it was possible to end up with a 390 poison damage small charm. I do know of three people who found one, so I'm not just repeating rumors... One was a Hell Baal's Minion drop, one came from Snapchip Chatter, and the other was rerolled (from a Hell Cow drop.) The fact that I know of three legitimate occurances, and heard of several others (but not from sources I trust completely,) indicates to me that the (v1.09) odds were a bit better than stated in the MPQ's... But I still would estimate the odds to be thousands to one against; and if the 390's were only a bug (which seems like the most likely possibility) and that bug has since been fixed, then the odds now would be the stated 26000:1, regardless of v1.09 odds... And if the increased damage was a bug, then the greater frequency of occurance was probably also a bug. Which would mean that under 1.10, the odds are either (just a very rough estimate) 18000:1 of a 390 poison-damage small charm occuring; or 26000:1 of a 364 poison-damage small charm occuring. When one of the two drops, (and I get confirmation of that drop from a source I trust,) I'll post an update. But either way; the odds of rolling a max-damage poison small charm are infinitesimal. If you can't farm Hell Cows quickly, (and who can anymore?,) your best bet is to do Snapchip runs... Almost every boss along the way to him can drop one, as well as Snappy himself; and these Act5 uglies have a better chance (per individual kill) of giving you one. If you do Baal runs in Hell to level up, try to wear at least 200 Magic Find because a couple of his minions have a (relatively) good chance to drop one, too. I'd recommend against rerolling for a max poison charm; your PGems can be better used elsewhere.

12. Kung Poo

Kung Poo IncGamers Member

When rolling Grand charms for +skills, can the charms get more than +1? For instance, a +2 Combat skills for a paladin or maybe a +3 to fire skills for a sorcy? I doubt it, but I might as well ask while I'm here.

~K_P

13. Laurazon

Laurazon IncGamers Member

I stash away any Perfects and keep a few lower level ones in my inventory in case i stumble upon a gem shrine

14. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

no, charms are limited to +1

15. HBeachBabe

well, I burned over 150 perfect gems (being an obsessive packrat came in handy!) but manged several skiller GCs including necro summining (with + to life), sorc lightning (with + to life), necro p&b, a 'sin traps and an elemental druid. none of which I need of course :( at least I determined that with GC with ilvl over 60, + to skills turns up about once in every 10 attempts.

Guess now I have some trading to do.

16. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

I have 3 mules full of perfect gems (mules... old style... lol)

Just waiting for an inspiration to start cubing charms

17. Mukami

Mukami IncGamers Member

18. Liter Soul

Liter Soul IncGamers Member

Whoa, does no one craft??? Crafting requires gems. Best use of them in the whole game.

19. Joutaja

Joutaja IncGamers Member

I use every gem I find to try and cube 7mfscs.

20. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

I dabble with crafting occasionally. Usually the problem is obtaining the base items I want rather than finding the PGems (although some of the runes are elusive too - I very rarely see anything above Thul, even the 'common' ones like Amn/Shael etc.) - I've crafted a whole variety of things in 1.09, from Caster gear to Blood throwing axes... not great results though, in most cases, but servicable :)