Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gems and Jewels and Runes OH MY!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Baal, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

Gems and Jewels and Runes OH MY!

Gems - ok, they're not useless - because you can use them to cube crap... ok good...

Runes - only seem useful to make runewords with

jewels - is there any use for these things... as far as i know people use runes to make runewords for a lot of their eq... then Gems are useful sometimes for resistances or MF... but jewels - they just always seem like a waste of time. i've never seen one worth using - and once you've made a rune word you can't use them anyway. I'm sure it's just me though... i've never ever used one or even thought of it. it seems more worth it to just sell it than to waste it on a piece of eq that you'll use for 2-3 levels before you find a better piece of eq than the one you socketed.

2. Cauthon

Cauthon IncGamers Member

I mostly hang on to my jewels (insert juvenile snickering here) in order to use when crafting items. The occassional one is useful to socket, depending on its mods.

3. Moog_playa

Moog_playa IncGamers Member

Jewels...needed for crafting tasty items!

Gems/runes/etc...great for low levels on their own.

4. Ensis

Ensis IncGamers Member

The way I see it, Jewels are useful in one aspect: the mods they give stay the same no matter what type of equipment you put it in. Let me explain...

A 40%ED jewel for example... sure an Ohm rune beats it with its 50%ED, but Ohm only gives that bonus when you place it in a weapon. Jewels on the other hand can placed in armor helmets and shields and still give you that bonus. You can put this jewel in the socketed helm of your Merc to give him more damage. Other examples of useful mods are the 15%IAS on the Jewel of Fervor... again, this is lower than the 20%IAS offered by the Shael, but Shael only gives this bonus when put in weapons. Jewels can be placed anywhere. The 15% resist all of the Scintillating Jewel is nothing compared to the Resists of an Um rune, but can be placed in anything to give its mods.

On top of that, a Jewel (very rarely) can spawn with two amazing mods, such as the much sought after Ruby Jewel of Fervor (+40%ED, +15%IAS) or one with resists and IAS, or resists and ED. These knock runes out of the water and again can be placed in any type of equipment. Currently, I seek a 15% Resist All Jewel (possibly with a second mod) to place in my weapon because I need more resists (no other socketable item will do that in weapons), and a high ED Jewel with 15% IAS to put in my Merc's helm (no other socketable item will do that in helmets).

Sorry for the long post. :lol:

~Ensis

5. farting bob

farting bob Banned

id agree that most characters dont use many jewels, but some can be veryuseful as they have multiple mods, unlike runes or gems on there own, which have 1 set mod.

6. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

I've found one 15% resist all jewel and quickly slapped into my occulus. After I removed the p-topaz that is...:p

7. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Since I play untwinked, I use jewels with every character.

They normally end up on merc's armor/helm for elemental damage, lower requirements or resists, or maybe my character's gear for resists or other cool mods. The only ones that seem worth it for the endgame are rares, but I have no problem with socketing early or mid-game items knowing (hoping actually) that I will sell them off later.

I can't recall cubing with jewels. I never can collect the proper crafting materials on any single untwinked character.

8. Cauthon

Cauthon IncGamers Member

Really? I used to do it with characters before I found ATMA. Some of the recipes are pretty simple with low level runes required. I found it very handy with my Pally in order to craft gloves with % CB, since my first pally build was so flawed I needed all the help I could get.

Of course, it does take some planning as you want to hang onto certain items in your stash while you find all the needed pieces; it always seem you'll have three of the four, and have to go hunting to find the last.

9. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

What the hell was I thinking when I wrote this? :bonk:

Yes Cauthon, you are correct - the recipies aren't hard to fill at all. I craft with every character, and always have a low-end crap jewel in my game stash for use at anytime.

* mumbles to self about posting while at work -- too many distractions :lol: *

10. farting bob

farting bob Banned

so your first post was actually the total opposite of whatyou really do?
    there must have been a big distraction at work...