Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gem mine?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Frank_the_tank, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Frank_the_tank

Frank_the_tank IncGamers Member

Gem mine?

I was eyeing the very nice concept art of Diablo 3 when I stumbled across a drawing that interested me. Then it kinda puzzled me.

On the drawing is written the text "Gem mine 01". There's also a small sign with a picture resembling a gem and an arrow pointing towards the mine. The whole thing kinda screams mmorpg. But we all know Diablo 3 aint one. So what might this mysterious gem mine be?

- The first and least interesting theory I can think of is that the gem mine is simply a theme for some random cave or the likes. On the other hand it's seems rather odd to specify it as a gem mine. Or maybe it doesnt, I'm not sure.

- Another theory would be that the mine actually has some specific use as given by it's name. It might be a cave with monsters just like any other, with the exception that it's foes, barrels etc. drop gems frequently.

- A more exciting - but perhaps not likely - theory is that it we will actually be able to mine for gems, thus making it something of a profession. It's exciting indeed to think of this feature well implanted in a Diablo game.

What do you guys think?:)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  2. JohnnyDeath

JohnnyDeath IncGamers Member

Re: Gem mines

Your first theory is probably right. It might form the basis for some early quest-"Save the Miners!" Though it would be cool if different areas yielded relevant treasure.

3. Flux

Flux Administrator

Re: Gem mine?

I think it's just a dungeon, like the caves and other such things in D2. In one of the presentations they talked about destructibles in a mine, mine carts to move and such, so it sounded like a mini-dungeon.

That said, they could spice it up with interesting miner-related quests in it, make it a place you are sure to find a lot of gems in, etc.

4. Darkie

Darkie IncGamers Member

Having professions and mining for gems doesn't sound exciting to me at all. I really hope there aren't professions in it.

5. RedawgTS

RedawgTS IncGamers Member

I don't think there will be any professions in D3. It just doesn't fit in with it's style of gameplay.

6. phool

phool IncGamers Member

Both of the first 2 seem plausible. Perhaps D3 will follow Median's lead in having areas that have significently improved drop rates for mfing certain things (one area with particularly many runes, another with more uniques, another for sets, etc). D2 already has this to some extent, but less explicitly.

7. Frank_the_tank

Frank_the_tank IncGamers Member

It might be just a dungeon, but still the drawings name cointains the number "01" which should mean that there'll be some differents skins for gem mines. And why have different skins if the gem mine is related to a specific quest? Why have it for something that's not frequenly appearing in the terrain? I think it's quite possible that the gem mine will be more than just the setting for a specific quest.

8. lionheart

lionheart IncGamers Member

Professions seem kinda useless konsidering the type of story and game. You are supposed to go fast and kill all the evil around you, not sit and wait until u get something out of it, doesnt quite fit at all with the style of this game, at least in my opinion