Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

gem management

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Klapse, May 16, 2008.

1. Klapse

Klapse IncGamers Member

gem management

hi there

Im kinda new to D2 on a more serious level.

I have been looking at the cube recipes, runewords and upgrades etc and i must admit i am beyound confused :p
    from my virgin eyes view on the different recipes, it looks as if i need to keep not only all the different runes, but also all the different gems and what worse is all the different qualities of the specific... :(
    Can this really be? Or, does someone have a tip as to which gems/runes i can keep and which i can vendor?
    I am lvling a barb, current lvl is 33
    hope u can help me, thx in advance :)

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Re: gem management

It's only worth it to keep and cube up the flawless gems to perfect. Leave the rest on the ground when you have 1-2 of the lower ones needed to cube up runes like Dol, Io, Lum and Fal (at L33 you probably never found thsee so far, however). I nearly never cube up any other runes and as I'm already about it, I don't pick up any runes below Tal, except I need them for a runeword.

What to do with the gems: Gems (including skulls) are usually used for rerolling grand charms from beyond the Spider Forest in nightmare act 3 or from hell Diablo, Nihlathak or Baal with the 3 pgems recipe, but perfect amethysts or rubies are often used for popular crafting recipes. You aren't at a point yet where you will benefit from that in a satisfying manner, so it's better to sell them for runes or for items you want to have.

3. Klapse

Klapse IncGamers Member

first of all, thx for helping
    do u use mules to carry all your gems etc? i cant else imagine how u would carry all those items :p

u say i should sell my perfect amethysts or rubies for items/runes i need...what do u mean, trade with other players? if so, how do i do that? :p as i say in my original post, i am new to d2 on a more serious lvl so i need as much help as i can get :)
    i am reading alot of forums/sites but there is a lot to learn ^^
    thx again

4. krischan

Yes, people are using mules on battlenet to store their items. If you are on single-player, get ATMA, a single-player muling program (see my sig for a link).

If you are playing on battlenet, you can trade with others by clicking on their character. The other one will be invited for trading and if he agrees, a trading screen will open on which you and your trade partner can place items to swap.

5. Klapse

Klapse IncGamers Member

how do i let ppl know that i need an item or that i have an item for sale?

thx again, think this will be my last question :p

6. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

On Europe Non-ladder (EurNL) the standard seems to be to make a game "O (x) N (y)" where O stands for Offer and N stands for Need. Once you get into Hell difficulty you'll notce the majority of the games are probably trade games, and you'll pick up the syntax pretty quickly. Getting your head around all the acronyms is a lot more time consuming.

7. Klapse

Klapse IncGamers Member

ok thx alot :)

8. krischan

You can also have a look in the battlenet channels. When being in a game, press the return key to type a message which can be read by anybody in the game. Press return again when you are ready to send it off.

There are a lot of scammers and newcomers usually don't have enough experience to be safe from that. The best way by far is arranging trades in the trading forums here. You have a big audience here and the chance of being scammed is very low. But read the trading rules. Half of them are self-explanatory, but a few are a matter of experience :wink3:

9. mikal

mikal IncGamers Member

Where's the best place to farm for flawless gems to upgrade to perfect gems?

10. krischan

Crowded areas from nightmare on, preferably those with easy kills. Perhaps normal act 5 is OK as well, but I'm not sure if the drop ratio of flawless gems is as high there as in higher difficulties. You can check that with the drop calculator of ATMA (single player muling program and more !), the link is in my sig.

11. mikal

mikal IncGamers Member

I can't seem to get atma to work on any of my computers. Anytime I try to download version 5, it wont install due to adware.

I'll try nightmare for the gems though. possibly tomb runs or something. Thanks for the help!

12. krischan

ATMA doesn't come with adware, but it might be the case that the installer suggests installing it (you can deny that, of course). I vaguely remember suggesting to set up something the default search engine for the web browser or so, but I might confuse things here. Perhaps Hakai needs somebody to pay the bills for his website, that would be an explanation in case it's really like that.

13. mikal

mikal IncGamers Member

I can't even get far enough to start installing ATMA. After I download it, I extract the installer from the .zip, and that's when the auto protect pops up saying there's adware and it stops.

14. theBanger

theBanger IncGamers Member

This could be a result of different things, one could be your firewall/anti-virus, the other could be where your getting the file from. I personally use Firefox, because it kicks ***, and saves me from the latter type of problems. If you have something like Norton anti-virus, this can be a pain to remove. You'll have to look this up on google like I did. But I really think that these type of questions belong in a different thread.

15. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

i'm a bower bird for gems.

i collect all the flawless ones i find (even in a pk game, i'll take out an SC to go and collect it), then i dump 'em all on my GF neccy and cube 'em up for GC re-rolling.

<3 pgems.

it's amazing sometimes the great stuff peeps will trade you for pgems.

16. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

Where exactly are you downloading it from? If it's from anywhere other than the official website at atma.diabloii.net, then I have no idea what the installer may be doing. The ATMA installer that I use does not contain any adware and I suspect that your anti-virus software is just a tad bit too touchy. It is still the same installer that has been there for many months and I have made no recent changes to it.

--T

17. krischan

OK, that should remove any doubt about the issue then. My suspicion is about something else then - I downloaded ATMA from the official site which I stated in my sig.

I suggest to switch off the adware checker during the installation or to tune down its sensitivity.

18. mikal

mikal IncGamers Member

Yeah, I've been trying to get it from the atma website, using firefox. I have norton though, so I'll try tinkering with that. Didn't mean to digress from the thread topic, though I do appreciate everyones help with the gems and computer tech stuff!