Gearing Up For Black Friday

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member
Gearing Up For Black Friday

Yeppers, that time of year boys and gals. The day dreaded by all underpaid retail employees. For those of you who don't know, Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving where everything literally goes on sale. Retail employees have to fight crowds to survive and injury rates are astronomical. This is the time where most retail stores make their money, earning the same amount they make in a normal week within about eight hours. I work at Toys R Us. On that greivous day I have to be there at... 4:30 AM. That's right, AM. And I am "scheduled" to work until 2 PM. So I'm just wondering, who else is getting ready to tackle this day?

EDIT- The grammer is not strong with this one...

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member
Too true, too true. I can't tell you how many times I've almost been attacked due to those cursed TMX Elmos >.<

Lord Nyax

Banned
I wonder if there'll be a new shipment of Wiis...I want one...

I'd fight a small chimpanzee for one, maybe a Rhesus monkey, but that's it.

masterazn

Banned
Actually, I was wondering about this. This is my first thanksgiving in the US of A and I'm gonna go to Best Buy. I have my eyes on a 19" widescreen LCD monitor for $130. Would I need to line up for it and camp out or can i just roll in when it opens and expect to get my hands on one?

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member
Um, you need to camp, bring mace, a taser, a paintball gun, and seven of your biggest friends. Trust me. The last thing you wanna do on Black Friday is shop. It's stupidly crazy. Also if you wanna get there when it opens you'll be there at like... 5 AM. Along with 200 other people. So just make sure that you can defend yourself from crazy mothers and ravenous old ladies and you should be fine :)

YogiRat

Diabloii.Net Member
I conned our dimwit HR manager into letting me take a vacation this week, so no black friday for me.:cool: Last year I was managing the tool dept. for our hardware store (OSH) on BF. I felt like I was thrown to the wolves.

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
Yea it's insane. My mom is actually going out tommorow. I told her I was worried for her safety due to the likely hood of some fat slob not getting her son the PS3 he wanted and taking her anger out on my mom and then on a dozen Krispy Kreme donutz.....wait I just made a rip on my name...oh well lol

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
I could probably have free reign of most of the stores around Austin from about 11am to 2:30 or 3pm tomorrow, if I wanted too. The reason? Texas vs. Texas A&M of course!

And Best Buy has some rediculous deals. 100 DVDR's for $4.99? The 22" LCD is only $200.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
I went to Target to get a movie and some games for Samara. The parking lot was full, but I managed to snag a space 2 spaces from the door :).

The lines for the checkout were all the way through the store. I had 4 items and asked the lady at the checkout if I had to stand way back there or could I just go in the express lane. Into the express lane I went. In and out in less than 10 minutes.

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
Yea it was pretty funny. I got up this morning at 8 and my dad said, "Your mom and your brother just called. They're on their way home." Where as I responed with, "WTF?" Apparently they left at 5 this morning lmao.

I did not go...I have never gone. I may try it someday, but I'm really not a shopper. I don't usually enjoy it. I prefer to go to the store, go straight to what I want, get it and leave.

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
Looking at the great deals at Best Buy, Fry's and online at Tiger Direct, it would seem the best time to buy/build your own computer would indeed be the day after Thanksgiving.

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
my wife made me go this year. I've always tried to avoid it...you know, the whole getting trampled thing has never appealed to me. My wife thinks this stuff is fun. She's crazy. Anyways, our experience wasn't too horrible. The biggest crowd was in the electronics department at Target.
My biggest pet peeve are those idiots who just stand in the middle of the aisle with a cart full of goodies. They just stand there talking to someone. Apparently moving out of the way never crosses thier mind...I try to avoid making saracastic comments as I squeeze through...but it's hard.

Also, I heard on the radio the other day that Black Friday really is not the busiest shopping day of the year. They were saying that according to some study done last year (can't remember what it was called) that Black Friday was really the 7th busiest shopping day of the year. December 23rd was the busiest.

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
My cousins were up at 4:30 to get to Wal-Mart. I feel sorry for them...
I need a new copy of MoH, but it can wait a day. I don't want to have to fight a middle-aged woman who wants the last copy for her son.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
I had to go to Target..their toddler board games were half off. I got Samara Chutes and Ladders, Candyland and some Dora game. I had already purchased Liam a $22.00 CD of David Bowie. I just hope he understands that his gifts are quite a bit more money wise that Samara's gifts. I had to get it for him. How many teens ask for David Bowie for Christmas?

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member
Ack... Work was horrible. Doors, open, peple RUN into the store. Takes about... 15 seconds before chaos ensues. I spent ~9.5 of my 10 hour shift sifting through the chaos and trying to redirect traffic. Then my manager wouldn't let us leave since the store was a mess so we had to help evening shift u_u. I lost my voice now and my throat hurts like hell. On the plus side, I do sound like that announcer guy from the movies :).