Gear recommendation for a untwinked Frenzy barb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellandy

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi!
I've recently started an untwinked Frenzy barb and I kind of hit a wall in Hell act 1. I take too much damage and do too little to magic/rare packs.
I'm not sure about how to improve my gear so any recommendation would be appreciated.

Gear:

1597329871743.png1597329928787.png
1597329994042.png
1597330064653.png
1597330106486.png
1597330177469.png and Sigon's Sabot (can't attach more files)
1597330307156.png1597330330594.png1597330365394.png

1597330466070.png
Blood Gloves
20% IAS
1% Life Stolen Per Hit
10% Chance of Crushing Blow
71% Enchanced Defense
+17 Life
+14% Fire Resist.

I'm not using it because I feel too slow with that 20% IAS instead of 30%

Skills:
20 Frenzy
20 Sword Mastery
7 Double Swing
8 Battle Cry
1 Requirements
1 Other shouts and utilities like Battle Leap, Find Item, etc.

Mercenary is a Might aura with a "The Meat Scraper" and "Thoothrow".

Hope the formatting is okay. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
Been a while, but I always like crushing blow in something. Also charms are your friend to help resistances.

I'm sure someone competent will be around in a bit with better ideas though.

mir

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi, first of all very nice gear for untwinked char, as for some tips:

- Beeing untwinked I would go for p1 or p3 top untill I get the higher level unique/runewords.

- I would run the countess in NM to get the runes for honor runewords. Maybe do some cow runs for exceptional bases.

- I would invest time to gather ingredients for crating, especially :
Gloves - chance for LL, IAS and CB
Axes - chance for LL, IAS, high ED (if you want only swords then ignore this)
Amulets - resists and skill bonus

- I would invest time and gold in gambling, especially: amulets, gloves, rings.

- Use howl a lot, especially when fighting boss packs, it will scatter most of the pack and give you time to concentrate on the boss.

- If you can make realms runewords (spirit, obedience, infinity, etc.) I would try to get the runes for 'lawbringer' before moving further in hell difficulty. Totally worth the time and effort. Also consider 'obedience' runeword for merc.

- Google Diablo 2 IAS calculator. See were your breakpoints and how much IAS you will need with various bases.

Hellandy

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi, first of all very nice gear for untwinked char, as for some tips:

- Beeing untwinked I would go for p1 or p3 top untill I get the higher level unique/runewords.

- I would run the countess in NM to get the runes for honor runewords. Maybe do some cow runs for exceptional bases.

- I would invest time to gather ingredients for crating, especially :
Gloves - chance for LL, IAS and CB
Axes - chance for LL, IAS, high ED (if you want only swords then ignore this)
Amulets - resists and skill bonus

- I would invest time and gold in gambling, especially: amulets, gloves, rings.

- Use howl a lot, especially when fighting boss packs, it will scatter most of the pack and give you time to concentrate on the boss.

- If you can make realms runewords (spirit, obedience, infinity, etc.) I would try to get the runes for 'lawbringer' before moving further in hell difficulty. Totally worth the time and effort. Also consider 'obedience' runeword for merc.

- Google Diablo 2 IAS calculator. See were your breakpoints and how much IAS you will need with various bases.
Thanks for the help!
After farming Mephisto/Baal for a bit I got my hands on a nice weapon and a Dimensional Blade base for the Lawbringer (I had exactly one Lem and one Ko lol).
I can finally make my way through Hell, albeit rather slowly. I think I'll farm Hell Andy for a good time when I get there.
I also reespeced my shouts. Gave up on Battle Cry and starting abusing Taunt, it has been working wonders on those nasty archers (they always have Amp Damage curse wtf?).
Also, Howl doesn't work at all. I believe it has something to do with my level? At least that is what Google tells me.

I'll update this post with some screenshots as soon as I'm able to. I think honor runeword is not necessary anymore and I'm thinking about going with a Holy Freeze merc instead of the Might one, but I would like some feedback on those things.
Thanks again!

mir

Diabloii.Net Member
Good to hear about your progress.

Can't say much about why Howl don't work well but you're probably right. Taunt is also great crowd control skill and every barb I made had at least 1 point in this skill.

1 point in Berserk can help in dealing with physical immune monsters.

I wouldn't change the merc to HF because:
- frenzy barb is very offensive build, as such the more damage you can squeeze the better. Unless you play HC and then survivability takes priority.

- freezing/chilling monsters can cause them to shatter. It's important especially regarding random boss packs since it prevents you from using 'find item'.

I wouldn't spend much time at Andy or MF runs in general since melee chars are less effective at it without really good equipment. I would try to get to travincal asap and start running them (even if it will be slow going at first).

One more thing I would like to suggest is to get better AR through charms/dex points or even 'obeadiance' RW (use this to cast enchant on yourself the reequip your weapons). The more you hit the better you will survive.

Keep us updated

Hellandy

Diabloii.Net Member
Good to hear about your progress.

Can't say much about why Howl don't work well but you're probably right. Taunt is also great crowd control skill and every barb I made had at least 1 point in this skill.

1 point in Berserk can help in dealing with physical immune monsters.

I wouldn't change the merc to HF because:
- frenzy barb is very offensive build, as such the more damage you can squeeze the better. Unless you play HC and then survivability takes priority.

- freezing/chilling monsters can cause them to shatter. It's important especially regarding random boss packs since it prevents you from using 'find item'.

I wouldn't spend much time at Andy or MF runs in general since melee chars are less effective at it without really good equipment. I would try to get to travincal asap and start running them (even if it will be slow going at first).

One more thing I would like to suggest is to get better AR through charms/dex points or even 'obeadiance' RW (use this to cast enchant on yourself the reequip your weapons). The more you hit the better you will survive.

Keep us updated
Hello again! I think I'm in the right track now.

Mention of non-Forum Accepted Mod deleted

This is the weapon I'm using with the Lawbringer:
1597583227013.png
Gloves:
1597595628939.png
The boots I crafted.
1597595659970.png
This is the amulet I crafted:
1597583314183.png
And this is the character sheet right now. Maybe I should take some points from Vit and put them in Dex? But those 4hp per point are so hard to pass tho. I really don't know what to do here.

1597583478851.png

Now about what you told me.

- I noticed Howl usually doesn't work in "side areas" which usually have a higher level. In the "open" it works fine, so it's deffinetly a level thing.

- Ah yes, I'm using Berserk for those immunes. It's slow but it does the job.

-I've tried the HF merc and honestly I can't really tell the difference in damage. But the freeze aura with the Decrepfy proc from Lawbringer has made my survivabilty go through the roof. So I'm still inclined to use the HF merc for a bit longer.
And Lawbringer already has the "Monsters rest in piece" thing. Which makes it impossible for me to use "Find Item" most of the time anyway. But the Decrepfy is sooooo good tho.

- The main reason I was thinking about farming Andy is to get a Ravenfrost ring because I really need a source of Cannot be Frozen right now and she's my best bet with a 1:642 chance. Also I believe she can drop some BiS gear for my build? I'm not sure tho, I'll have to chek that again.
Can you explain why Travincal would be better? With my experience in the others difficulties they are usually the hardest boss for me so I'm a bit worried lol.

- I will deffinetly take a look at Enchant. Would a wand with charges also work? No way I can make Obedience right now.

Thanks again for lending me some of your time!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

mir

Diabloii.Net Member
Good to hear about your progress with this barb.

The rare sword is very nice and I would consider upgrade it to elite version in the future just for style (if you intend to finish the game with it). The AR for this sword is good too.

Travincal (council) is good source for runes, charms, rare items and jewelry. IMO the best improvement for melee chars will come from runewords and not from MF runs, especially untwinked, so I would try to get the runes asap. That's of course if you planning to use him even after finishing the game.
Still, some MF runs is a good idea to get basic gear.

There are no wand with enchant, the good sources are 'demon limb' and an exceptional unique sword with lvl 10 charges.

Your barb is in good condition (max resist, good AR, LL, source of decrpify) to finish the game without major problems. Everything else is improvment.

Hellandy

Diabloii.Net Member
Good to hear about your progress with this barb.

The rare sword is very nice and I would consider upgrade it to elite version in the future just for style (if you intend to finish the game with it). The AR for this sword is good too.

Travincal (council) is good source for runes, charms, rare items and jewelry. IMO the best improvement for melee chars will come from runewords and not from MF runs, especially untwinked, so I would try to get the runes asap. That's of course if you planning to use him even after finishing the game.
Still, some MF runs is a good idea to get basic gear.

There are no wand with enchant, the good sources are 'demon limb' and an exceptional unique sword with lvl 10 charges.

Your barb is in good condition (max resist, good AR, LL, source of decrpify) to finish the game without major problems. Everything else is improvment.
Hi again!
Nice to hear that my barb is in good condition! I think I have just one more question if you don't mind.

- I think that Grief is one of the best rw I can use with this build right? Is it still worth to use it over my rare sword if I upgrade it to elite? It seems really good.
I'm thinking about using a Grief with the Lawbringer. Unless I get my hands in a Reaper's Toll, in that case I would drop the Lawbringer for something else. Don't know for what tho.

And I just got a Demon Limb from Andy after dozens of runs but no Ravenfrost sadly. But now I have a lvl 22 Enchant on switch :D. I'm about to give up on that ring and move on I think.

Reactions: mir

mir

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi,

Demon limb is a great find, congrats.
Don't give up on Raven frost it worth the time investment. Not crucial but will make life much much easier vs cold attacks.

You're right that grief is one of the best choices for this barb (and every other melee char too :) ). It's much stronger then the rare sword but it's a question of 'style vs power' and what you enjoy more.

It really doesn't matter what you pair grief with. Popular options are: oath, beast, death. At this point it's about maximizing your char in which I have little expertise.

Looking forward to Patriarch title :)

Noodle

This has been up for a few days, and I don't see Thyiad or Maxicek around, so I'll step in. The mod you mentioned using is NOT welcome here, as it's considered a cheat. What you do on your own machine is your own business, but please keep in mind that you can't trade or multiplay with anyone here, and please don't mention the mod again. The Single Player Forum rules, stickied in the forum, define which mods are considered acceptable. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to send a private message to Thyiad or Maxicek, and I'm always happy to respond if they're not around. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.