Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gear Questions, Sorta Long Post, Sorta Noobish

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by catalogguy, May 19, 2008.

1. catalogguy

catalogguy IncGamers Member

Gear Questions, Sorta Long Post, Sorta Noobish

Hi All,

I have been playing since December and trying so hard not to be a noob, but I still have a lot of questions and many of them are about gear. I hope I can bore you with some of this and get some information back to help me make some decisions about what I can use, what I can trade, and what needs to get sold to NPC vendors.

My goal is PvM and MF. I would like to be able to solo in Hell. I have an IK barb who does ok up until about Countess in Hell. Then he gets but kicked. I was chatting with someone in a game who said to socket my weapon with 2 shael, but Lazar would not socket my IK maul. Maybe I need to move away from IK and get a few better pieces? I have tried a few things, but the IK bonuses seem too good to ignore with only being able to upgrade one or 2 items. Comments welcome please.

I built a pally with crappy gear… that means all the good stuff, shako, enigma, hoto, cta, mara’s, etc… but none of it is perfect, all the minimal quality. He is a hammerdin and up to lvl 87. I have mostly leveled him through leaching and am just now getting used to the hammers (awkward). I like the tele on enigma and the merc has fortitude and infinity which seems super. But honestly he has not really been fun to play. Will he get better? Is it my skills that need to come up or is the second rate gear not going to cut it.

This is a list of stuff in the basements of my mules. I keep it because it looks interesting to me. I was trying to trade a few things the other day so I set up a game in normal and someone was not too pleasant and said he wanted godly items, not “common crapâ€. OK, so how do I tell what stuff is desirable to people? Here is a list of stuff. If you can add any comments on any items or describe what makes them desirable or useless, that would be super helpful!

Tomb Reaver Cryptic Axe (non-ethereal) 3 sockets
    Extra Tal mask
    +1 skill ammys for various classes, some with mods
    Champion axe 5 socket – cta?
    Stormshield Monarch
    Dusk Shroud Enigma – not mage plate
    Skullders non-ethereal
    Gladiators Bane Wire Fleece
    Gavel of Pain
    Rockstopper Sallet
    Dark Clan Crusher Cudgel
    Glyph Sever Decapitator (damage 367)
    Bartuc’s (one ethereal and one non-ethereal)
    Runic talons with 3 sockets
    Vipermagi Serpentskin armor w/def 279 (there seems to be buzz about vipermagi so I traded for this, but I don’t really know why I would want it).
    Shako – not HoZ

OK a few more questions….
    I frequently come across Sigon items and people seem to want this stuff… why?

Can I trade a collection of full rejuvs for anything? If so, how many pots would be appropriate and what could I get (low runes? I save and transmute every rune and gem I can get).

MF stuff, how low. I have a mule for MF stuff but eventually decided to stop keeping rings under 15% (and no more leach rings under 6%). I don’t use this stuff, I figure someone might want it, but it just seems to take up valuable space.

What’s a good sword? I have saved about 10+ interesting looking swords. I have 3 Doombringers (one ethereal). My IK barb has on switch 2 Ali Baba’s with the idea that one day he will be able to MF decently and use the switch for last hit on bosses.

I have some partial green set items… Should I use any of this, trade as parts or keep in hopes of completing the sets for later use or trade?
    Naj Armor and circlet
    Magnus Skin/Guillaume’s Face/Wilhelm’s Pride (missing Whitstan’s Guard)
    Natalya’s shadow loricated mail
    Sazabi Mental Sheath Basinet
    M’avina’s Tenet sharkskin belt and bow
    Dark Adherent Dusk Shroud
    Doombringer helm def 401

Thanks again for reading all this. I did not know a reasonable way to break this up into separate posts, so I hope people get a little inspiration to share some gems of knowledge with me! Thank you so much! Without help, this fun but complicated game would be overwhelming!

2. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus IncGamers Member

Re: Gear Questions, Sorta Long Post, Sorta Noobish

IK set: Immortal King is definitely doable. What exactly is your barbarian having trouble with? By socketing the maul with shaels, they mean to put shaels in the sockets. Items that already have sockets can't get any more, but you can clear the sockets with the cube formula <item> + Hel rune + TP scroll. Note that this destroys whatever was in the sockets, though.

Hammerdin: That's definitely not "second rate" gear. I remember my hammerdin running the pits in full Iratha set, darkglow, and dual spirits. It's probably just learning to use hammers effectively, though many people just don't find Hammerdins to be very fun.

Items on mules: Most of those I would keep due to their usefulness. Also, you should check the stats of them on Arreat Summit. The ones I think you can safely toss are:
    -some amulets. Desirable mods are high resists, high str/dex bonuses, FCR. For skill bonuses, the more caster-oriented the character/tree, the better.
    -Dark clan crusher
    -Glyph Sever Decapitator (most rares [bright yellow name] are junk. Post the stats if you're unsure)

Sigon set: It's very good for low level characters.

Rejuvenation potions: You might be able to get something for them in Hardcore mode. You should probably check the trade values forum.

MF stuff: Save the 2-3 best for each slot. More if there are other useful stats on some (keep in mind that kill speed and survivability are more important than MF. If you can't kill or keep dying, you're not getting any items to begin with)

Swords: Doombringers are pretty nice. What others do you have?

Set items:
    -Naj Armor/circlet: Not particularly useful, but I like to keep the circlet for low level melee guys for the fire damage.
    -G-Face, Magnus Skin, Wilhelm's Pride: All of these are fairly useful on their own. G-Face would be the most easily traded due to its demand.
    -Natalya's Shadow: The set is best on a phoenix striker. Save it if you want to build one, trade otherwise.
    -Sazabi helm: Most people forget this even exists. Only keep it if you think you'll use it sometime.
    -Mavina belt/bow: belt is kinda useful. The bow is only worth keeping for freezing arrow 'zons.
    -Dark Adherent: Junk unless you really wanna make a disciple set based build.
    -Doombringer helm: What? Either you typed the wrong name or you have a (awesome) bugged item. Post the stats/correct name.

3. catalogguy

That's great info!

The IK barb (I use ww) does fine until he starts losing a lot of health from one or a few hits in hell. Also, I don't think he does enough damage for some of the harder monsters. For example, I teamed up with another guy and between the 2 of us we could not kil the council in act 3 and I gave it about 5 tries, dying each time. Someone said that IK was "good for beginners" and that I needed to do the shaels. Lazar would not accept the maul to add sockets. I just realized I made a silly mistake: the mail already has 2 sockets so I can add the shaels (and omg I happen to have them - sometimes you get lucky). Not sure what they will do, but I will read up on it. Same guy also suggested getting Angelic - 2 rings and ammy. Also a spear with +3 to warcries. And something about a jewel with at least +10 to res all, but I am not sure what I should put that in if I ever find one. This guy btw seemed very genuine and knowledgable, so I was hoping to make sense out of his advice. BTW the helm also has 2 sockets... what would be good to put?

Hammerdin: ok maybe second rate gear is a little misleading. What I meant is that my cta is +1 BO not +6, etc. I am thinking that I just really don't have the hammers down and maybe with more play I can get better, but he seems to kill a lot of stuff and a few get past the hammers and just whomp him.

Swords:
    Gold letters...
    (3) Doombringer Champion
    Cloudcrack Gothic ethereal
    Djinn Slayer Ataghan (I got it with 2 flawless rubies in sockets)
    (2) Ali Baba Tulwar

Yellow letters... ( I know you said bright yellow usually isn't good, but these all have some stats that made me think they might be interesting for someone).
    Grim Scythe Tulwar
    Gale Scratch Dimensional Blade
    Cruel Razor Falcata
    Wraith Scalpel Hydra Edge
    Skull Fang Mithril Point

Not sure what a Phoenix Striker is, but I will search for it.

Oops my bad on the helm, correct name is Demonhorn's Edge Destroyer.

Can I use the 5 socket Champion Axe to make cta or is the item not worth putting the runes in?

Thanks again for the input. I will start sellnig some of this stuff and check into the possible trades you mentioned. If you have more to add, please keep it coming!

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  4. Nimbostratus

IK barb: It might help if you posted what your stats and skills are (base; without equipment/warcries on). To help with dying too much, you can put these in your helmet (and in the armor if you socket that too)
    -perfect rubies. These give 38 life each.
    -sol runes. These reduce damage taken by 7 each (this is known as PDR).
    If you choose to go with the sol runes, you should try to get an amulet that reduces damage as well, since PDR really only shines when you get a lot of it. And of course, make sure the reason you're dying isn't user error (i.e. look at unique monsters' auras/enchantments/etc. and figure out if it's too dangerous).

Hammerdin: Like I said, I was using one with Iratha's set, darkglow, and spirits; I've never even had a CTA. Your gear is more than enough. As for things getting through the hammer field, make sure you have decent FCR (faster cast rate. 75 or 125 is good) to help close the gaps between hammers, and make sure you start casting early enough.

Swords:
    -Bloodletter: Junk. Alright for mid-levels, though.
    -Doombringer: Decent
    -Cloudcrack: See bloodletter.
    -Djinn Slayer: Decent
    -Ali Baba: Decent; really only used as a MF weapon, though

Rare (yellow letter) items: Rares are randomly generated, and their names have nothing to do with their stats. So unless you post the stats of each one, nobody will have any idea what they do.

Phoenix Striker: It's an assassin build that focuses on Phoenix Strike.

Demonhorn's Edge: Junk-ish.

Champion Axe CTA: Not worth it. Very few characters use 2-handed axes, and CTA is almost always used only for the skills.

5. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

He gave you good advice.
    Read the IK Barb Build in the Stickys. http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=231548
    Read the Barb Guides in general, and the strategy section of the forums for understanding breakpoints and skills. http://forums.diabloii.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9
    See the rare items showoff thread for what good (and some not so good) rares (Yellows http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=416537 ) are like.
    A 1 handed flail is best - use a shield with more skills and has low requirements anyone can use it. That or I have seen CTA kept on a mercs weapon on occasion. But not a CA

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  6. catalogguy

Here is a table with current stats on the IK Barb:

[​IMG]

In addition to IK, he wears Manald Heal ring, ring, +2 Barb skill ammy w/8 poison res, and a +6 life leach ring (Cathans). I just traded for a Raven Frost ring today, so I could put that on him instead.

I often die about 3 times doing sanctuary even in normal when I hit the knights (Abyss knights, etc). Someone mentioned iron maiden. I have tried going slow and just using concentration rather than ww, but i still get killed sometimes. Can I protect myself from iron maiden?

Thanks for the links... already checking them out.

I will try and give people these swords in case one actually helps someone.

OK thanks for good info about Prubies, sol runes, and hdin fcr. I will check out all of those. Thanks!

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

My IK barb can solo all of the game, except for oblivion knights and nasty packs of physical immune mana drainers, although it takes a while for him to kill monsters with lots of life because the IK maul is a bit crappy.

An IK maul naturally comes with two sockets. Larzuk won't add more to it. If you are playing a whirlwind barbarian, it's mandatory that you add something with 30% increased attack speed (which MUST be on the weapon), so your WW is working at maximum speed. If you want to socket it with expensive stuff, get a maul with a 40% chance for crushing blows, but the other ones are still good enough for shael runes or plain IAS jewels.

Cheap additional gear is the angelic amulet and two angelic rings which add a huge bonus to the attack rating. More expensive gear is Metalgrid, Ravenfrost and a dual leech ring. Regarding charms, a hellfire torch is a must and apart from that, either warcry skillers, ar/max charms or a mix.

Use two echoing weapons in the second weapon slot which add +3 to warcries (which includes the find item skill, to be applied on each defeated boss). Anya sells them on throwing spears and she has a portal right next to her to reset her inventory - assuming you haven't killed Nihlathak together with getting the waypoint down the way. Shop for them in nightmare, that will provide you with more javelins with low dex reqs - an IK barb has base dex.

I don't like playing hammerdins as well, it's awkward to aim with the hammers and pretty annoyung that it has to be on the left button (else wou would have no conc aura).

This is a list of stuff in the basements of my mules. I keep it because it looks interesting to me. I was trying to trade a few things the other day so I set up a game in normal and someone was not too pleasant and said he wanted godly items, not “common crap”. OK, so how do I tell what stuff is desirable to people? Here is a list of stuff. If you can add any comments on any items or describe what makes them desirable or useless, that would be super helpful!

Keep these:

Tomb Reaver Cryptic Axe (non-ethereal) 3 sockets
    Extra Tal mask
    Stormshield Monarch
    Dusk Shroud Enigma – not mage plate
    Skullders non-ethereal
    Gladiators Bane Wire Fleece
    Bartuc’s (one ethereal and one non-ethereal)
    Vipermagi Serpentskin armor w/def 279 (there seems to be buzz about vipermagi so I traded for this, but I don’t really know why I would want it).
    Shako – not HoZ

Vipermagi has FCR and +res, it's an excellent caster armor.

These are worthless:

Gavel of Pain (use Insight on e.g. a bill for low-level mercs)
    Dark Clan Crusher Cudgel
    Champion axe 5 socket – cta?
    Glyph Sever Decapitator (damage 367)
    Runic talons with 3 sockets (except it has +3 on certain assassin skills, check the assassin forum, I'm an assa noob)

Rockstopper:
    Keep it if all resists are really good. It's as good as a 1 socket CoA then.

+1 skill ammys for various classes, some with mods:
    Keep those with good additional mods and a level req of 30 or lower (check the trade value forum for that). For low-level characters, better use an Eye of Ettlich or a Nokozan Relic.

Sigon's is a superb set for low-level characters in normal and half on nightmare mode.

On ladder Europe, ** full rejuvs (i.e. a mule full of them) go for Pul or so, but I'm not sure. IMO it's a waste of inventory space and muling time to gather them.

Only keep 28+% Nagelrings. Magical rings have a tiny chance that they will have more than 30%MF, but the chance is so small that it's not worth the time needed for that IMO.

Regarding melee, none of the unique swords can compete with the runewords and other uniques, like Stormlash, perhaps with the exception of Azurewrath which might be useful in certain cases. Doombringer cannot be ethereal because it has the indestructibility mod. Instead of two Ali Babas, better use two echoing weapons in the second weapon slot, as already mentioned, to improve warcries (as well as find item which is to be applied on each boss you killed). It's still good to have Ali Baba on the weapon switch of casters and my golfind barb has two of them as well.
    None of them have a value. Keep a Guillaume's or two for a future melee paladin, but it's not worth keeping it for trading.

8. Nimbostratus

IK barb: If you don't mind doing so, it might be a good idea to remake this character.
    -Stats: there's a bunch wasted in dex (don't put points in dex just for AR) that should be in vitality.
    -Skills: Why did you max sword mastery and natural resistance? Sword mastery is obviously pointless for IK, and natural resistance has severe diminishing returns, so 5 points is usually the max people will put in it. Put some points in mace mastery and WW.
    -Gear: The manald and cathan rings are probably unnecessary, as the IK set already provides 10% dual leech. Ravenfrost is a good replacement for one. Fill the other slot with whatever seems to be lacking. As for the amulet, you can pretty much ignore +skills on most melee builds, as skill bonuses won't provide that big a benefit.

Chaos Sanctuary: Iron Maiden reflects your own physical damage in melee back to you several times over. Either switched to a ranged weapon or use 1-pt Berserk (converts all physical damage to magic damage). It helps to learn what all the curses are; you can see most of them here: http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/necromancer-curses.shtml

9. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

I think Guillamue's face is worth keeping enough. Though it is normally only worth net 5~10 pgems, but you might get lucky with a desperate buyer. The item became rather popular with the addition uber trist.

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I never saw anybody paying 10 pgems for one (at least not on ladder Europe). My guess about its value is 3 pgems, so it takes away more space than the pgems it's worth IMO. I'm not particularly rich, but I don't pick them up anymore, as I have more on my mules than I will ever sell or use.

11. catalogguy

Thanks to all who responded. This is great info! I learned more useful gems here than I expected (or than I got elsewhere). Sounds like I may not be too far off track, just need to keep learning. As far as remaking the barb, yea maybe I should. I was following a MF barb build from 1.09 before I understood that I really need to rely only on more current information. The build was to use 1 doombringer and the ali babas on switch, thus the sword mastery. IK has been a lot of fun, so I will probably start working on a replacement barb. The fun never ends! Again, thanks, your input is really appreciated.

P.S. How does this look for an IK build?
    http://http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=164067

The main diff I see from the suggestions is that it does not include a point in Find Item, but that seems doable as it is only 1 point. Here is the stat point summary:
    20pts Battle Orders
    20pts Mace Mastery
    20pts Whirlwind
    20pts Shout
    1pt Bash (Prereq)
    1pt Berserk
    1pt Leap (Prereq)
    1pt Stun (Prereq)
    1pt Concentrate (Prereq)
    1pt Leap Attack
    1pt Howl (Prereq)
    1pt Battle Command
    1pt Natural Resistances
    1pt Increase Stamina
    1pt Increase Run/Walk Speed
    Rest Iron Skin

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  12. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Ya, that's how I build mine. And yes, definitely 1 in find item. Mine is practically identical to the guide, except for no leap attack (still have leap), 1 in find item, and I use 2x ravenfrosts.