Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gear Question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ToddMcF2002, Mar 30, 2018.

1. ToddMcF2002

ToddMcF2002 Diabloii.Net Member

So I’m about half way through the LOD expansion (post Diablo) and I think I may be missing a few nuances about gear management.

1. I have way more runes (even well transmutted) than I’ve ever seen decent socketed gear to put it in. In fact my socketed armor and shield is the same gear from ACT II. I have only found upgrades in weapons worth switching to. Is that expected?

2. Is there a way to “unsocket” gear? I have much better runes now. If I can’t find better gear I’d at least like to upgrade the runes.

3. Matched sets. I’ve found a few individual items from sets but the stats have always been inferior and I’ve got no place to store stuff so I simply sell them off. I must be missing something here?

2. logoutzero

logoutzero Diabloii.Net Member

Inventory management is tough. I haven't played the game without a muling application in so long, I can't even imagine trying to play without one. If you aren't opposed to it, we have links to applications (3rd party) that operate outside of the game (by reading and manipulating the Diablo II character save files) that allow you to save items in an unlimited way. See the Game Changes thread stickied at or near the top of the Single Player Forum. It will help IMMENSELY with saving runes, jewels, charms, gems, and equipment that may not be useful for this character, either now, or ever. This will also help with point #3, being able to pack the items off in storage until you are able to completely assemble them.

You can "unsocket" gear by using your Horadric Cube. Input the item you wish to clear, along with a Hel rune and one scroll of Town Portal. This will revert the item to its base form, destroying any socketables in the process. There is no way to remove the runes, gems, or jewels without loosing them. Also keep in mind that, if you have created a runeword in the item, after clearing the sockets, it will not retain any of the runeword properties either.

If you are interested in playing the game without use of a 3rd party application to allow transferring gear off and on your characters, there have been a handful (that I know of) of players who have successfully beaten the game (and then some) with a character who NEVER used anything they hadn't found themselves, and there are/were some rather comical screenshots (and maybe a video?) of high level characters selling some really rare and powerful items, just because the player didn't choose to use a muling program.

3. ToddMcF2002

ToddMcF2002 Diabloii.Net Member

Interesting and thanks for the detail. I don't get why Blizzard implemented all these gear features with the obvious capacity issues. I've found some pretty interesting non-class items that I've left on the field because I didn't need the money and had no storage. Sad.

4. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

I second the use of a muling program like GoMule. Makes the game so much more fun. I get why people are restricting themselves not too, but I think most of those only do it after a while, after getting a lot of wealth first and then restricting themselves for a greater challenge.

If not using one of those programs, it's important to know which gear your character needs, what you are aiming for. Only then you can exactly decide what to keep and what not and do targeted mf runs on a specific boss or area. If you want more help on that aspect, just let us know which build you are doing and what your goal with the charcter is.

Unsocketing with the cube recipe is definitely a great option. However, it's usually only done with very good endgame gear, a superior eth elite polearm with the right sockets for Insight for example. Since you are only in NM, you are probably not swimming in Hel runes yet, while good socketables shouldn't be too hard to come by.

5. Jocular

Jocular Diabloii.Net Member

Ditto on the muling, otherwise you're going to have severe issues later on when you want to swap equipment (usually for specific resists).

You can also check out this suuuuuuper old thread with @superdave where he also went w/o muling software. He wasn't even using equipment and still had issues with not enough room! Really fun thread to read through though. https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/how-far-can-superdave-go.480035/

edit: it's really infuriating what photobucket has done, destroyed so many online forums...oh well, a few years back that thread was full of pictures. Made for a good read.

edit2: Hmmm, it seems some pictures are still available to view...

6. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

7. Drystan

Drystan Diabloii.Net Member

A "handful" of players? Check the Mat/Pat/Guardian thread, specifically for "Untwinked" characters. And then the multitude of tournament Guardians we have here. :D There's heaps!
    Untwinked characters use items only found by the character, and there are heaps out there. Multiple forumites only play untwinked (Jiansonz comes to mind first,) and many, many, many untwinked chars are listed in the Mat/Pat/Guardian compilation thread.

I've got nothing further to add. Everyone's been pretty much on the mark. Welcome to the SPF, and if you have any questions, hang around and feel free to ask!

ioupainmax likes this.
  8. Jamie

Jamie Diabloii.Net Member

What has photobucket done? Am I missing something? I use photobucket.

9. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Their hotlinking no longer functions without a subscription (an expensive one), so a lot of images no longer show on forums.

10. Jocular

Jocular Diabloii.Net Member

What Kitteh said, as well as they weren't even allowing people to download their pictures from their accounts. They changed their policy to not be quite so draconian after all the backlash, but I don't think most of their users are interested in trusting them anymore.