Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gear for my smiter

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Pailon, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

Gear for my smiter

Currently lv 51 in Act II NM.

Current Gear:
    Helm-
    Wep-Crushflange
    Shield-a nice Akaran Targe
    Armor-Rattlecage
    Boots-Goblin Toe
    Gloves-
    Belt-
    Ring-
    Ring-
    Amulet-

Fill in the blanks please? I can easily mull over some items so use the best I can get for my lv. I have a Highlord's, Carrion Wind, Nature's Peace all in storage. I don't want end game gear (because it's all pretty much the same) just mid lv gear.

2. Frostadin

Frostadin IncGamers Member

Re: Gear for my smiter

Use Guillame's for the helm and go with IAS gloves, Noseratu, and Highlords if they get you another smite breakpoint. Then focus on resists for your remaining rings/amulet. If you still need better resists socket a shield and put in 4 pdiamonds and go with Duriel's Shell resists and CBF.

If resists are good go with Duress as it outperforms the Rattlecage IMO:
    3 Socket Body Armor
    Shael + Um + Thul
    +40% Faster Hit Recovery
    +10-20% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Adds 37-133 Cold Damage 2 sec. Duration (Normal)
    15% Chance of Crushing Blow
    33% Chance of Open Wounds
    +150-200% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    -20% Slower Stamina Drain
    Cold Resist +45%
    Lightning Resist +15%
    Fire Resist +15%
    Poison Resist +15%

Also I would ditch the Crushflange and go with Black as it has better range, faster attack, and more crushing blow.
    3 Socket Clubs/Hammers/Maces
    Thul + Io + Nef
    +120% Enhanced Damage
    40% Chance Of Crushing Blow
    +200 To Attack Rating
    Adds 3-14 Cold Damage - Cold Duration 3 Seconds
    +10 To Vitality
    15% Increased Attack Speed
    Knockback
    Magic Damage Reduced By 2
    Level 4 Corpse Explosion (12 Charges)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  3. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice. I will use both rws and I was unaware that you could use rws on a Unique.

4. Frostadin

You can't use runewords in uniques. I am sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. You will need a white base item to make runewords. When I meant ditch the Rattlecage and Crushflange I meant mule them off and find a white armor and weapon to punch sockets in and make those runewords.

5. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

Oh. Ok. So um... white armor? Does that mean just plain armor? like Splint mail or Gothic plate with no magical properties?

6. Frostadin

That is correct. If the name of the item is yellow, gold, blue, or green it won't work. If it already has sockets it will be gray, that's fine. If it doesn't have sockets it will be white, then just cross your fingers and cube some sockets into them.

For armor go with the highest defense you can wear with your current strength. As for the weapon I would go with a flail as it will have a better range adder and base speed than the Crushflange.

7. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

Well as a smiter I use my sheild as a weapon. Does the wep you have on give you more range with your smite?

8. Frostadin

No, but if you ever come across a physical immune and have to use Vengeance or other attack then the more range the better. Your Smite speed does calculate from IAS though, so even if range weren't a factor the increased speed is beneficial.

9. Elyxthaxzus

Elyxthaxzus IncGamers Member

My name is elyx and I approve frosts's message :D

The gap between a zealot and smiter is veeeeeerrryy small. It's a difference of a few points in a skill really. Pure smiters have a hard time dealing with large groups, so Zeal is the best fill the gap you can use. guilliams face will provide plenty of CB for NM, and if you add duress on top of that (excellent idea), you don't' need to worry about Cb on the weapon. go with something high damage, faster is better.

At mid levels a few good options (aside from black - black rocks, but made zeal difficuolt on my pally due to knockback). Coldkill, aldur's rythm (my fav), coldsteel eye, headstriker, etc. I like aldurs due to the inherent mods (life/mana steal, %Ed, +IAS, extra damage for smite) as well as up to 3 sockets. Used one of those all the way through NM on my zealot.

10. Frostadin

I agree, I never use anything with knockback on my zealer. It's a beating. The reason I suggested it here is because he's a smiter, so he's already dealing with that problem.

11. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

Baranars Star = zeal budget win!

12. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

Well so far I have used everything that Frost gave me (advice not items), the damn akaran targe (gotta love resists :)) and Raven frost (for cannot be frozen) and at lv 58 BK. Aldur's Rythm is the wep correct? If so I have it (too lazy to check.. I will later though) But so far my resists are perfect (not 95 but all 75) I do appx 500-600 dmg? give or take a hundred max. And hardly ever get hurt (only used a potion once :)). I stopped using him to focus on a Charger Variant I'm creating but I want to try it myself instead of asking for help with it (I ask for help alot... I only started playing again a month or three ago and used to play 1.07) So far I'm still getting through the first act but in NM at lv 50 I'll tell everyone about it for gear advice... mabye some good ed jewels in a decent wep... I have all of my weps ready for him...

But anyway back to my Smiter. I don't want a Zealot off build for it. I want a pure Smiter. It may seem stupid or ignorant or just plain dumb but I like pure builds. Only reason I'm going Charger Variant is because Charge only needs 3 skills maxed for full potential. I cannot get Grief due to SP status so I have no clue for end game wep... Spirit is an unavailable rw as well. I would like high rw recommendations but also give another option just in case I can't find the runes (like Enigma still need a Jah rune...)

13. Elyxthaxzus

Elyxthaxzus IncGamers Member

Yup, aldurs rhythm. good stuff. IAS or damage jewels in it and your golden.

Grief, while a great weapon, isn't a necessity. life (and smiters and chargers) existed before grief. It just became prominent once folks realized how +damage affects smite. plenty of other weapons work as well. As a matter fo fact, if you read up on the guide "1pt. smiter guide to ubers" or sumthin like that, he goes over numbers, and you aren't losing a great deal without grief. its just kills bosses a little faster with it.

some other weapons that are nice are : Heaven's light, Astreons Ward (personal fav there), heck even aldurs has +damage on it. but heaven's and Ast both have crushign blwo as well, heaven's has sockets, ast does not (but it has +damage to it) browse the weapons at arrit summit for some more ideas.

Crescent moon (sheal um thul) works very well in a fast weapon (CtC static shock is a great crowd killer) as mentioned before black is great for CB, etc. crescent moon can be expensive to fix tho, so be warned. some folks like to put it in a phase blade for this reason, but i like axes myself.

When going cheap look for the mods that will benefit you as a smiter. +damage, CB, CtC skills, etc. Browse the runewords on arreat summit, there's some gems there just takes some research.

another example of a stealth weapon is lawbringer (amn lem ko). Put it in a 3 socket scepter with a few staffmods, and you have a decent elemental weapon with an aura that gives you some serious undead killing potential (and helps a ton with PI's, the melee pallys bane). sanctuary aura breaks undead Phys Immunity, and does a buttload of damage to em. and works with your smite. AND {lawbringer} has a 20% chance to cast decrep. Not sure if that works with smite, but throw in a zeal or two on PI's and your golden.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  14. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

Well if dracul's works that should too. I have a Crescent Moon (on my FrenzyBarb) of course on a Phase Blade. I'm not neccesarily looking for "cheap" but for stuff I have. I have waaay to much to list because it'd take me an hour or two... (trying to complete Grail on sp :)) I'm going to go through ALL of my items later on and choose what I can find that helps Smite...