Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gear for my ironbarb?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by LinkHimself, May 7, 2008.

1. LinkHimself

LinkHimself IncGamers Member

Gear for my ironbarb?

Hi, I wonder what gear I should get for my concentrate barb who wields an axe and a shield.

I don't have much runes lying around, but I have pgems if I can trade pgems for runes on the trading forum.

So what runewords should I put in my weapon and armor? Don't suggest the most expensive as I can't afford them.

In advance, thanks :)

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  2. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

Re: Gear for my ironbarb?

Welcome to the SPF, read the stickies and enjoy your stay, especially the trade rules before you start trading

Concentrate barbs aren't popular, due to their slow playing speed compared to other types eg WW:

Skills plan?
    Gear so far?
    How wealthy are you, have you hit the hell HellForge and got lucky?
    Do you play vanilla or RWM?

More info needed before we can help you

3. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

A lot of people use the IK set for conc barbs. You could get all the items but the armor for a couple of pgems, they're easy to find. There's some new runewords that do way more damage than they should for the runes you need, but I dont have RWM, so I'm not sure what they are (arreat summit will have them).

But yeah, get ready for a long and not too interesting time through hell, conc barbs are very slow killers (though very good tanks).

4. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

As lhtb points out, we need a bit more information before we can truly give you any advice. =). I make this post under the assumption that you are just starting off, and need a very inexpensive way to build up your character.

1) Pick up and identify all rares. I'm sure that you do this already.

2) Check the vendors. They can sell good stuff, even early on. For example, you can buy Bone Shields of the Deflecting in Act 2 Normal. Those can be quite useful.

3) Abuse the Horadric Cube. Save your rings and amulets and roll them in your cube. Make Coral Rings or Prismatic Amulets. Take a shot at rolling items with your gems. There are plenty of recipes to try.

4) Look for cost-efficient runewords. Examples are 'Steel', 'Stealth', 'Honor', 'Lore', 'Rhyme', and 'Smoke'. 'Nadir' is a very good runeword for the Cloak of Shadows charges. If things start looking bad, you might want to try one. Just don't try to repair it. hehe.

5) Try your luck with crafting. Blood crafted axes, gloves, helms, boots, amulets, and rings can all prove very useful to your character.

Best of luck.

EDIT: Yea. The IK set, combined with Partial Angelics and a Raven Frost make for a very nice Barbarian. The armor is a bit on the expensive side though.

5. LinkHimself

I'm not new to this game, but I was never the very serious player with much knowledge. My last char was a frenzy at lvl 71. When I got to hell, he sucked : (

Skills plan?
    I follow Halciet's guide
    Gear so far?
    Random gear, the best I've found and bought.
    How wealthy are you, have you hit the hell HellForge and got lucky?
    My last char had a lem, dol and ko.. How does one measure wealth? Ah, and my frenzy has IK will and "The Atlantean", 2x Cathan's seal.
    Do you play vanilla or RWM?
    RWM

Should I stop playing with my conc since they are slow? I was kinda looking for a kinda fast killing barb when I started to play. I didn't make a WW since many people here say that they are quite boring.

Note: my char is in A2 normal.

6. scottee

scottee IncGamers Member

I think that a lot of people say WW barb is boring because they've done it too many times. They do it so many times because it's probably the fastest-killing barb build (dunno 'bout that for sure, never had a high level WW or frenzier or zerker- I'm more into casters).

I guess the point is that a WW barb, with even decent gear, will kill much much faster than am iron-barb. It's all about attack speed, and a whirler attacks about 2-3 times as fast as a concentrator.

7. LinkHimself

Maybe I should put my point in WW instead of concentrate. Still got them saved up.

Maybe I'll read a WW guide and follow it. Read a berzerk guide earlier and it seemed interesting, but tough to stay alive..

8. RssDiablo

RssDiablo IncGamers Member

would just like to throw out that if you make a berzerker, you will have absolutely zero difficulty staying alive. One of the safest characters i've ever made if used correctly

9. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

I'd also recommend WW with bezerk as a backup skill (one point wonder). I did a IK WW barb back in the day and loved him. Most people bored of WW are the same ones who played it too much, or prefer characters that require more micro management. WW barbs also can be decent and robust MF characters so don't discount them. They took a knock when 1.10 came out with all the physical immunes around. In 1.09 days they where godly. Anyways, WW is definitely more fun than an Iron barb with Concentration. The other problem with Iron barbs is that too many monsters ignore target defence or cast spells negating your high armour value anyways.

Fun variations I have played have been the ever versatile dual sword wielding WW barb. Lots of weapon options for him and can put a shield on for tight situations. Polearm WW barbs do great damage at max range. IK WW barb is also awesome and probably the most practical in 1.11 as all the elemental damage comes in usefull for PI's.

10. LinkHimself

Really? Could you tell me how to use it correctly? Berzerk is more interesting than WW to me. I want try berzerk rather than WW.
    Or maybe you could hook me up with the right guide?

To all of you who replied. Thanks a latte (scrubs). Great help from you guys ;)

11. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member