Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gear for clvl 1-20?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Myrakh-2, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Gear for clvl 1-20?

Hi,

I find myself surprised that I'm asking this question, but what would be "good" gear to get the first 20 levels? You know, until cow- and baalruns kick in :) This is the 2nd playchar I'm making on this ladder, and I find I don't really have a good idea what people use...

The char will be a Windforce-using Amazon, so I'll need a lot of str and dex --- meaning that I can probably use just about anything. I have a Rixot Keen, which looks like an excellent very-low-level sword --- but what else? Sigon? Arctic (so she can shoot arrows as a little girl :))? Berserker? Angelic? Isenhart :)? None of these?

Act bosses won't be an issue, I can always bring in another char... and I don't have an Enchantress... I do have demon limb, though, but I'm not entirely sure my big char can wield it -- I think he can, though. Probably makes a good addition to whatever weapon she'll use...

2. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

I think all of the sets you mentioned are really fantastic. I personally use Sigon's for every character I make, even sorcs. Can't beat that huge life leech, plus skill, added fire damage, resistances... wow all at level 6 or 7 for a barbarian!

3. DeMeVeR

DeMeVeR IncGamers Member

4 socket long sword with hel runes , or a bow
    angelic ring + amulet
    arctic set is nice too
    armor with 2nd mod lower req jewels

and if possible a nice sorc enchant ;)

edit: sorry saw the enchant too late :eek:

4. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Here's what I use on my young bowzons:
    Death Sash+Gloves (30% ias, 10%ll, +15all res, a lot of psn res)
    Boots: Cow set boots (lvl 13, 30% run, +20dex,+25-35firedam)
    Amu: Etlich
    Ring 1: Cathan's (6ll)
    Ring 2: Manald (7ml)
    Armor: Twitchthroe
    Helm: Tarnhelm
    Bow: Rare or socketed with gems for eledmg/Arctic/Skystrike, also helps if you have some melee weap on switch.

5. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

If you could use complete sigons set, thats great. works for almost every char.
    You could perhaps skip the shield for using a bow too, if you want to be more effective. A javelin user without any javelinskills wont last too long :thumbsup:

6. Myrakh-2

Yeah, Sigons seems to be a common choice. Except for Leohappy who uses uniques (most of which I don't seem to have... surprisingly enough, not even the Eye); and some of the stuff is lvl 15 which is almost at the end of the "level myself" stage anyway...

At least, no big surprises :)

I think I'll try Arctic, though --- with a demon limb enchant I hope I'll be doing enough damage to "pawn" A1/A2 :) Nokozan looks like a good idea to cover fire resist, Arctic should be enough for cold resist, I could use sigon boots and helmet to get 10% LL, two Cathan rings for even more LL (which should hopefully be enough to compensate the lack of physical damage...). I can buy a ton of antidote potions to cover the poison in the tombs...

I wonder how expensive demon limb charges are... I guess I'll wait until I feel the arctic bow isn't pawning enough :) My lvl 91 has full gold in stash and almost full in inventory, so I hope he can cover expenses for a bit...
    Or I could swap Nokozan for a Cathan amu, for another bit of added fire damage...

Looking at this is starting to be fun :)

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

You can level up the first few levels with the stuff you find. Invest all stat points into str and wear Sigons ASAP. One or two items give a str bonus, to equip these first, then he rest. You can have additional leech from Manald Heal and Cathan's ring, for example. It won't hurt to have a one-hander plus Sigon's shield in the weapon switch. At L9, get a bow filled with +9 maxdmg jewels and at L18 one with +15 maxdmg jewels. That bow will be good enough until L33. Then switch to Kuko Shakaku. At L41, switch to a Buriza which will be enough until you can wear WF.

8. IN_FLAMES

IN_FLAMES Banned

You can't go wrong with Sigons!

9. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

artic is useable till the late 20's i would go with that and then a witchy and maybe goldstrike after that until wf

10. Myrakh-2

I used arctic, cathan rings, sigon boots+helmet and nokozan, and levelled all the way to 20. Before I could equip these items I used Rixot Keen as weapon, Hsarus boots and shield, and Berserker helmet. Trying to hop through cowgames with clvl 40+ killers now, so it doesn't matter what I'm wearing :)

The lifeleech is a bit low due to the low physical damage of arctic, but it worked well enough even in the tombs. Didn't even use demon limb :)

What gear to "swap in" next I don't know yet --- also depends on what I have (I know I have Lycander's, and since that's only exceptional it might be an option). Again, I'm not very concerned about this --- but it's always nice if I can do something myself, even if I'm not running the show just yet.

11. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Another nice low level option is a 3 socket mask and a 3 socket breast plate, both filled with nice jewels - I am partial to 20 psn/3 second jewels myself, as they have no level requirement. Chugging out 120 poison over three seconds, before taking into account your bow, is nothing to sneeze at. Particularly with multishot.

With a 5os longbow, you could put that up to 220/3 - yikes!

12. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That reminds me of the following:

In 1.09 I equipped a barb with armor, shield, helm and a weapon which contained 13-15 maxdmg jewels, for leveling. I must have been a dozen or more jewels. At ~L25-30 he got hostiled by a ~L40 barb. Of course he tried to surprise me, but I surprised him more by switching to dual throwing spears :) My barb killed that guy twice - once with throwing spears and once in melee :lol:

13. Myrakh-2

The poison girl sounds nice enough, but it requires some preparation --- I didn't actually think about anything other than endgame (not talking Voyager here...) until I actually set out to build her... and she's only my 2nd playchar this season, with the first one being forced to use what he found, living off the trash left by the monsters --- items that failed to ensure their survival, if I may add that :)

14. gorash

gorash IncGamers Member

there are also some nice low lvl unique gloves and boots which i like to use, however i'm not sure if it will beat things like sigons or other sets (talking about items like hotspurs, hand of broc, etc)

15. RequiemDK

RequiemDK IncGamers Member

Nobody uses Clegaw's full set? :(

I love the deadly strike and crushing blow that the full set offers. Additionally, the sword's damage grows with each level (you might want to Hel the thing though).

Seriously, mana leech, IAS, 75% poison length reduction, prismatic resists, knockback, slow, 50% deadly strike, 35% crushing blow... Just these 3 pieces of equipment alone can let you level in 8 player games all the way till you can equip your exceptionals.

Just for the record, I use the full clegaw's set together with 1 cathan ammy + 2 cathan rings (for the str and damage), sigon's helm+boots (10% life leech and the all important AR). Sometimes I use arctic armour+belt, but I'm currently experimenting with cathan's armour (more resists) with death's sash (CBF).

It's always better to mix and match sets in the low levels. Sure, throwing the full Sigon's set may be sufficient, but am I the only one who hates the bright white look it gives you? :/ Plus, those full sigon barbs usually follow my new characters around wondering how the heck i'm killing so much faster than them and shrugging off andy's poison like it were nothing. :>

16. druliusCleaver

druliusCleaver IncGamers Member

I collect low level sets and store them on low level mules that have leveled enough to wear the set items. When I went to make a 'zon mule for the arctic set, I had to get to level 9-11 before she had enough dex and str to wear belt, bow, armor, hat, and to level 15 before she had str for the gloves. So unless you have str and dex charms to wear the gear earlier, you'll probably be choosing other gear for your lowest levels.

ps, she has zero skill points invested (just a collection mule), but still kills very quickly wearing this set (plus cathan's and angelic rings) all the way to andy, I haven't tried to go any further.

17. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

of course it s a pain to make :p but why not use khalims will as weapon ? the fully transformed flail, not the base flial, since then it will have no requirements

kills anything in act 1 and 2 in one hit :)

18. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

I'd say that this weapon is more fitting for 1 hit kills:
    Gemmed Superior Great Maul
    Two-Hand Damage: 61 to 93
    Durability: 53 of 60
    Required Strength: 10
    Mace Class - Slow Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 85
    Fingerprint: 0x8bfc861b
    +62% Enhanced Damage
    +3 to Attack Rating
    Requirements -90%
    150% Damage to Undead
    Socketed (6: 6 used)

And this one for Clvl 15+:
    Raven Claw
    Long Bow
    Two-Hand Damage: 5 to 16
    Required Dexterity: 19
    Required Strength: 22
    Required Level: 15
    Bow Class - Normal Attack Speed
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: 59
    Fingerprint: 0xe8937c01
    +3 to Strength
    +3 to Dexterity
    +69% Enhanced Damage
    50% Bonus to Attack Rating
    Fires Explosive Arrows (Slvl 30 ~300 fire dmg)

19. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Slightly easier to find weapons :

Hellforge Hammer, or complete Khalim's Will. (Not the flail itself, but the transmuted item).

Should more than suffice to get you through the first part.

//edit: And will let you wear that big lump o' sigon's shield.

Oh - and another great great set that's good all the way up to NM...
    Iratha's Finery. Only problem with that is that's again close to the end level you said.

20. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Need more information

Since I always pick a specific set to start with, partial or full, then fill in the gaps with ideal uniques and rares with proper mods, I always tend to find a level at which I can do a full switch and then play for ~20 levels without new gear. For instance:

My .09 IK Barb went all the way to L10 with along-the-way stuff before switching to Civerb's Vestments, Bloodfist, Gorefoot and rares. The Gores allowed me to save points in anything but Stun and Berserk Combat Skills (those were the pair back then - stun your target then beat the snot out of it) and L10 allowed me to use leech rings. At L29 I switched to Steeldriver but not until this ladder season (just recently, in fact) did I up that to L30-31 so as to wear the boots/belt/gloves of IK then. It was a short time to play in that because - before I reached L41 - I was at nightmare Ancients, playing mostly by myself. I hit L47 and then gained another afterward to do a four-piece switch with Toothrow and Bloodtree Stump. All that until I reached L76 (hit hell Ancients at 60, and crossed L64 as I killed Baal - the rest was in cows).

As you can see I tend to plan out the right gear so I'm at max res, the full spread of other bonuses (Cannot Be Frozen/Half Freeze Duration, 75% Poison Length Reduction, etc.) and as fast an attack with as high damage as possible. What's the skill spread you'll be using, i.e. exact build and gear?