Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gear for a Zon

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Frozen Orb, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Frozen Orb

Frozen Orb Banned

Gear for a Zon

Now that the pindlethon is over, I've been getting bored and ready to get back to the questing aspect of Diablo. That being said, next I want to create an Amazon that can be Mat'ed then primarily used for Hell Cows, and the occasional Baal runs.

From that heres my questions once again. I have my skills thought out. Maxing LF, CS, Enough in valk to get level 17 after skills, the occasional passives, and then maybe leftovers will be used to pump guided for a secondary source for damage. What do you think will be the best gear for something like this. I'm not neccessarily wanting all mf gear since she's not a mf charc, but heres what I've come up with. Suggestions and criticism welcome.

Helm: Shako
    Armor: Skullder's

Right there I have skills to beef up my LF damage, life and mana, and some mf that will help

Weapon: Titan's.....duh!

Shield: Here's a debate, spirit is a good choice, but I'm thinking stormshield since she will also be used for questing and baal runs. Any thoughts?

Boots: sandstorms or war travs?

Belt: either thundergods, or maybe to save some pierce points, razortail?

Gloves: ummmm yeah....help me here please :grin:

Amulet I have a magic plus 3 to javelin and spear skills ammy, so either that, or whatever else is suggested

Rings: I have 2 BKWB's any other ideas?

That being said, those items are by no means what I'll use for sure, but yet what I think will work well. If I'm wrong, please lemme know.

2. sawm

sawm IncGamers Member

Helm: If you have one, a Griffon's Eye helps a bunch with the LF damage.
    Armor: Yep, Skullders, eth if possible.
    Weapon: Titan's, again eth if possible.
    Shield: I used a Spirit Monarch on my LFZon, but I toyed with the idea of a Stormshield. Never compared the two in-game, though.
    Boots: War Travs is a good choice here.
    Gloves: Lancer's Gauntlets of Alacrity (15 def, +3 jav/spear skills, 20%IAS) Mmmm mmmm mmm....
    Amulet: Not really sure, I found a spare Mara's that I've been using on her. Probably a Highlords or Metalgrids if you're lucky enough to find one, or the +skills one you've got.
    Rings: Leech is a big issue with my current LFZon (1 BKWB and a perfect dual leech rare ring). I'd probably use another dual leech if I can find one, since the +skills on BKWB could be on a skiller instead.

I found this build worked quite well against non-LI's, and I found myself running past the LIs.

3. buffa

buffa IncGamers Member

From my personal experience, I always have to repair my titan when running cows... So it is better to have normal Titan.
    The rest of the gear seem nice though.

4. Dudzy

Dudzy IncGamers Member

I think he means socketing with a eth rune.

5. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

No, he wants ethereal for greater damage.

Have a read of Nightfish's Amazon guide. Try forgetting the physical damage aspect of the javelins and just play her as a caster. Otherwise you will have to dump more points into penetrate for the AR. Or go 2 angelic rings + amulet for the jewelery.

If you are going to run the WSK, you may be running low on resists unless you are filling the inventory with shippering charms. Mara's may help for the amulet. If you have enough + skills, Chance Guards for the gloves. If not a rare with + Jav skills and some resists. IAS as a bonus.

6. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

As you stated that you will be using her primarily for cows, I suggest not using a Valk at all, but spend those points on Pierce (~67% chance) and lightning synergies. While more lightning synergies don't do that much for your LF damage, they help your CS a lot more, which in turn really helps to take down single cows at higher /players settings.

If you want to do some Baal runs occasionally, you also need those valk points for a potent secondary damage source. If you outfit your (might) merc well, you should be able to play through the game once.

Here's my 0.02€ regarding your gear choice.
    Great choice. You'll want as much +skills as you can get. A Griffon's eye would be the ultimate LF-zon choice, as sawm already mentioned.
    If you can live without the +life and +mana of the shako, a +2 Valkyrie Wing is a solid choice too. It can get +2 skills, it has 20%FRW, and most important for spamming LF, it can get +4 mana after each kill. Any piece of gear with +mana after each kill is a great tool for keeping your blue orb full for those mana-hungry LF bolts.
    Nice MF/skills armor. For general questing, I recommend an (upped?) Skin of the Viper Magi. It too has +1 skills and can get a nice resist bonus.
    No other weapon comes close for a LF zon. An ethereal Titan's (self-repair FTW) is even better if you're planning to jab stuff a lot, otherwise there's no real difference.
    Stormshield keeps you safe. A solid choice. My shield of choice was a double lightning-faceted Moser's Blessed Luna (upgraded exceptional).
    Silkweaves? Remember that the +mana after each kill works wonders when you spam an entire crowd to death with a few LFs.
    For the occasional Baal run, Thundergod's. For cows: razortail. In my opinion, your damage output with 100% pierce far surpasses that of the +skill bonus on the thundergod's. On the moo-moo farm, if you herd well (no merc, no valk), you can group the beef closely together. The best thing that can happen then is that your LF pierces the maximum of five times.
    Now look at this table. It lists your total pierce% and the chance to pierce for the the maximum amount. As you can see, attaining 99%/100% pierce with help of the razortail is the best option for cows.

Code:
    Pierce	| 5-time pierce%
     25%	| 0.1% 
     50%	| 3.1%
     75%	| 23.7%
     85%	| 44.4%
     90%	| 59.0%
     95%	| 77.4%
     99%	| 95.1%
     100%	| 100%

Any +jav skill gloves are good. +jav gloves with IAS are better. The best option would be a good craft. If you can scrounge up some PRubies, junk jewels, Nef runes, and gloves you can try your luck.
    Any amulet with a combination of +skills and resists will do.
    Those wedding bands are great rings. SoJ's would be even better, but they are a bit, err.., rare and expensive. Some rings with good resists, or at least light resists, are also a good option. Some cow bosses can pack a serious elemental punch.

7. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

The AJK's setup is quite good, but lack resists. (Vipermagi for questing helps a lot)
    I used double PDiamonded upped Mosers and rare boots with 2 high resists...
    The best java gloves are magic (shoppable) +3java/20IAS gloves.

8. Lompo

Lompo IncGamers Member

Shield: don't forget Rhyme rw; it's very cheap, has ICB and great FBR, resistances (although not very high), mana regen., MF and CBF (very nice considering you will not use Ravenfrost/Duriel).

Armour/helm: I'm using Vipermagi and a rare circlet with +skills/resist/+5 mana per kill, but why don't have a look to Tal armour/mask combo?

9. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

If you plan on going for cows, I say all or nothing in the lighting side of the tree. And since it's for cows, all is the obvious choice. With a good merc you won't need a valk to get you through the game, though I must admit they can be handy for a quick tank. You'll be fairly strapped for points if you're wanting to go with lightning skills, valk, passives AND guided arrow. If you want a decent p1 kill with guided arrows, use widowmaker.

Sounds good to me.

Eh, I would go with a Vipermagi or possibly Que-Heagan's Wisdom (I know, wtf, right? +3 to mana after each kill = gg)

Here is where I recommend keeping a Thunderstroke on switch for CSing bosses and single targets.

If you want to pump out the Strength for either one, I guess it doesn't matter either way, you could try both and see what you like. But blocking is a different matter, I guess. Stormshield sounds gg to me though.

Waterwalk ftw

Razortail is nice, and Thundergods only provides minor benefits, but could save a few str points if you go for Stormshield. Honestly I don't notice too much of a difference when it comes too 100% pierce and ~75%. Then again, I'm not very attentive to detail.

As stated before, crafted with IAS and +jav/spear skills is always nice. Tack on some leech, resists or MF for great bonus material. Granted you can actually craft a pair.

If you're worried about leeching mana, Crescent Moon covers this fully, otherwise I would go with a +2 to skills amulet or somesuch.

Two Stones of Jordan could go a long way in saving you mana troubles, but BKWBs work just as fine if yoou don't have the stones.

10. FlimFlan

FlimFlan IncGamers Member

You may also think about "Peace" armor. You put one hard point in Valk, and then enjoy the rewards of the CtC on the armor. +2 skills gives you a nice boost also.

11. Frozen Orb

Frozen Orb Banned

Ok, the general consensus seems to be pumping skills, while also gaining the resists.

Just a few more questions... First off the most important and dumbest lol.... what does it mean when people say FTW, this has been mind boggling me for quite some time.

From there, I like the idea of an upp'ed vipermagi and then a maras or skills with resists. I would just need a maras. I was going to use an insight for the mana problems, but seeing as everyone suggests no merc i'll probably need to beef his weapon up a bit. Silkweaves seems semi sufficient for the mana right now. So now im stuck at obtaining a Mara's, silkweaves, better gloves, and maybe someday the rare soj's and griffons.

For the skills allocation, this charc would be only my 3rd character that I'd be trying to get into hell, so thats why I wanted a valk. I didn't know how easy it would be without one and just pumping all light or having a secondary skill.

Also, @AJK, I agree with you that the soj's are ever so rare, why do you think that? If you look at the drop calc, their odds aren't really bad at all. My guess is because most of the good odds are in nm, and normally people dont run nm meph nonstop, but anyways im just curious.

12. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

Acronym Finder for teh win!

13. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

Once you hit lvl90, the Valkyrie becomes redundant even for Baal-runes, because she's just too slow. If you are capable/willing to beat the Hell without her, skip the passives' left branch entirely. Your cast rate will not be that great to make good use of these skills while performing your primary tasks later on.

Consider the "peace" runeword to overcome the hard times with LI-s throughout the game. I heard the CtC Valkyrie on it doesn't work properly, but might help a bit. Any bow skills are unnecessary, your 1pt jab will suffice - it starts to be really devastating with increasing chance to hit on higher levels.

The only choice to make is the number of hard-points in pierce. I would recommend you to make a backup save with some spare points to determine the optimal value. I think, that even for the cowgirl, the +3 to LF from Thundergod's belt could do more (with maxed pierce), than the additional pierce (and thus stronger synergies) from Razortail, not to mention the WSK, but please check.

Using two same uniques, especially on one character, looks strange for me, thus I put on SoJ+BK combo whenever the +skills are desired. Beside the +skills, extreme FRW and IAS are the most important. For WSK, decent resists (mainly lightning, poison) and high block are recommended. Thunderstroke is slightly stronger, but frequent repairing is the major pain in CL, thus non-eth Titan's prevails (bigger stack, additional FRW).

Stormshield slows you down, the DR is not a big deal in CL and also other stats are generally useless out there. Lidless Wall helps with mana issues. Any socketed shield including Headhunter's, Moser's can be used for rainbow facets/IAS jewels.

Take magic gloves, as proposed by others, any boots for FRW, MF and either Valkyrie Wing or a nice circlet as a headgear. Use all Harpoonist charms you have available, the rest for FRW, MF and mana.

Also don't go overboard with vitality, the CL is a pretty safe place :wink3:

Ugla

14. Frozen Orb

Frozen Orb Banned

just giving a little update.... im level 25, bout ready to start act 3 normal.... As of right now my main goal is going to be getting lighting fury and charged strike maxed, while somwhow holding up decent ressits..... i'm also going with the idea of no merc to save points, ill save that unlesss i absolultely need one..... but thanks everyone for suggestions.

15. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

@frozen orb i actuly surgest for general questig you do use a merc the only time i go mercless is when i run cows cos they get in the way of hurding the rest of them time my mercs a life saver. hes saved me from so many expoloding dolls and other nastys (extra fast fanatasism frenzytors) my merc just stands there and i do the frying

16. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Maybe you mean Valkyrie? There is no reason to play without a merc.

17. Frozen Orb

Frozen Orb Banned

haha @ hrus and deaddave.... its now 3 in the morning and its wearing off, but yes I meant valk... See this is what coors light will do to me... but I appolgize, I'll be using a merc, but no valk, unless i get to hell and absolutely cant beat it without one.

18. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

:tongue: lol reel men drink shandy :tongue:

i do avise putting 1 point in decoy even if you dont use valk i find it makes pindle runs much safer you just summon 1 right in his pack and then blast them with fightfury (or whatever skill you like)

19. Frozen Orb

Frozen Orb Banned

The one point in decoy seems like a great idea for beating pindle, but yet i have a sorc for that, and also the one point whould seem to help against the ancients or even baals minions, but im going to save points and try not to use that left side of the skill tree and see if i can beat hell while saving those points. If i can accomplish that, I'll be pumping my javelin skills to maximize my lighting damage to make those cows vanish.... I'll keep u updated deaddave... still in normal, i plan to finihs normal and get close to 50 tommorrow, no classes :)