Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gear for a build that does low physical damage

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by mrsplifferton, Aug 13, 2010.

1. mrsplifferton

mrsplifferton Diabloii.Net Member

Gear for a build that does low physical damage

I need to find some (preferably) cheap gear for a pally I'm working on. The idea is that I should get a lot of ctc, elemental damage, crushing blow/open wounds, but little to no Enhanced damage modifiers.

I'm guessing I will need some type of runeword weapon built in a low base damage weapon (probably a fast or very fast weapon). 'Strength' looks like a good choice for early game.'Voice of Reason' looks good also but then 'Lawbringer' isn't too shaby either and they both use very similar runes.

Blood crafted gloves would give me some crushing blow.

'Rhyme' Shield

'Delerium' Head gear would be nice (I have yet to get better than a 'Lum' rune though, so I'm not counting on this)

I'm drawing blanks on the rest of the gear. It does seem that with the great rune drop rate that I may be basing a lot of my gear on cheap runewords.

Bit of history on the character, it is a hc/untwinked pally using sacrifice (I do a bit of MFing and Baal runs. I posted on the pally forum about sacrifice info, but I thought that the gear selection would be something the SP community would have better insights on.

2. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Gear for a build that does low physical damage

Voice of Reason in a Phase Blade with Conviction does well. For head, a 3 socket helmet with some Ral and Ort runes is good if you need resists. Smoke is a great runeword for chest, as is Treachery. For the rest, craft/gamble. I'm sure there are some guides about untwinkled/single-pass characters, so dig through the SP stickies for those.

3. Nightfish

Nightfish Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not sure I understand why you would use sacrifice and then try to do low physical damage. That seems more like something you might want to do with Zeal, if anything. For Sacrifice I'd get high damage and leech, but what do I know...

Still, as far as crushing blow goes, you should make a stop at NM Meph and get a Guillaume's Face and probably Goblin Toe. (this can be gotten way earlier, but why do 200 Normal Meph runs and 200 NM Meph runs when you can just as well do just the 200 NM Meph runs and get your stuff).

Body Armour could also be Duress, that gives CB as well.

4. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with Nightfish on this.

You are trying to nullify the returned damage aspect of Sacrifice by nullifying the offensive aspect of Sacrifice? :p If that's the case, wouldn't a normal attack do just as good, or like NF said, perhaps Zeal?

I'd offer advice, but I don't think I'd do a good job. Good luck though!

[edit] And as taken from your thread in the Pally forum:

Yeah. -____- He failed... while using an editor. lolololololololololololololololol :p

Alright, I'm just going to throw some advice around, based on my own experience with a Sacrificedin. It may not be valid for you, since I do have access to a plethora of items.

1. Your problem with bosses (as stated in your thread in the Pally forum) can be resolved if you have Life Tap from Dracul's or 'Exile', like SnickerSnack has said. There is no way I can imagine myself soloing act-end bosses without Life Tap. You can, but that involves drinking lots and lots and lots of potions. Hit and pot until Life Trap triggers, then you're good to go as long as it stays up. A somewhat easier way would be to rely on 1 point Smite for bosses, or you can wait until Life Tap triggers from Smite, and then switch back to Sacrifice.

2. This is also the same strategy I used for the undead. Most of the time I would park undead packs (areas like Radament's Sewers I simply ran through all the way to Radament), but if I did want to take them on, I would do the hit and pot, or if I got lazy, I would use one point Smite to trigger Life Tap first.

3. For everything else, like SS has said, the combination of health potions and stacked life leech will be good enough.

4. The worst mod for a Sacrificedin imho is Hit Causes Monster To Flee. If you use Sacrifice against a moving target, you will take damage even though your attack did not connect. You will also take full damage and would not leech any life back. This means that monsters with a tendency to flee (Leapers, Fallen, etc.) are as deadly as the undead.

5. Unlike the many posts that say %DR and iDR reduce returned damage, that is not true. They have no impact with regards to Sacrifice.

6. A budget weapon I really like is The Redeemer. It gives you damage for Sacrifice and damage for Smite.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  5. mrsplifferton

I guess the problem I was thinking is that if I do 2k physical damage from sacrifice using a lvl 20 fanatacism I would probably kill myself within 5 seconds (with 60ias it's 3.5 attacks per second doing about 150 damage to self per hit).

For some reason life leech didn't even come up as a solution :crazyeyes:. I had misunderstood sacrifice for a long time, thinking it did 8% damage based on your health, not damage done. So in hell I would need 32% life leech to offset the life drain?

So far I've been running around with no life drain items (haven't found any), at least it's tought me how not to be stingy with health potions. He also laughs at manaburn monsters, pfft who needs mana.

One more question, I can't leech from undead, and I can't leech from PI's. Would holy bolt work as a backup for those? I don't like pallys for the most part, I'm trying to do something unusual to start my sept goal.

6. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Check the stickies and try to find a build guide for a martyr. Martyr is a paladin who ... you understand I suppose.

7. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

It sure sounds to me like you need Dracul's Grasp, but that's not a realistic goal when playing untwinked.

You can shop for a wand with Lifetap charges, though that will be a bit cumbersome.*** If you can run good rune targets, then you can aim for an Ohm rune and make Exile, which has a chance to cast lifetap. That will probably take quite a while though.

Lionheart is a pretty nice runeword armor. Really, all you need to do is look at the lists of RWs.

You might try crafting a full set of Blood items. It's pretty doable (guessing here, could be wrong) to reach 30+ life leech with only crafted items, though it will take 100+ tries total (or more, of course). CB from gloves, OW from belt. You may want to skip the helm, though, as it gives DS.

Honor is a pretty good, and underused, RW, and it gives 7% life leech. :)

What seems odd to me is that you're trying to get as little damage as possible while at the same time using Fanaticism, which increases damage by a good chunk.

*** Actually, just swing a Lifetap wand. Low damage, can possibly get 2 sockets from larzuk (for shaels or pskulls). And in that case you should be using a different aura.

8. mrsplifferton

Thanks you guys.

I had checked the paladin forum and the guide thread but hadn't seen anything. Hadn't thought of checking the gaurd/pat thread, found 2 very good threads there. I guess almost all builds have been gaurdianed at this point...